Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-16-2021, 11:03 PM   #1
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Harness for track days, what do you use?

Hi everyone, new member with a recently acquired 2018 1SS 1LE.

A bit background about me: I am a track rat, and an advanced driver. I'm coming from a 2017 BMW M2, and before that I had a 2014 Mustang GT. Both manual of course.

I did ~20 track days/ HPDE events over the last 7 years, and my most successful one resulted in 3 laps on Nurburgring Nordschleife under 8 minutes, with best being 7:52 BTG. That was in the M2.

I had a 4 point harness in both my previous cars. I find that no matter how supportive the seats are, the harness helps you feel the movement of the chassis better.

So what kind of harness do you guys use for the 1LE for track days? I'm looking for guidance from the community on what works well with the seats in our cars.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:43 AM   #2
weemus

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Curious as well
weemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:01 AM   #3
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Since it sounds like you track quite a bit, you probably already know that 4-points aren’t allowed at SCCA, NASA and Chin events. There is one exception I know of (Scroth QuikFit Pro).

I see a lot of folks installing the RSR cage or the Brey-Krause. At the risk of this thread devolving into the usual mess when harness bars are mentioned, I’ll go ahead and say ‘stay away from them’.

I agree with you about the seats. Early when I had the car, the Recaro was fine. As I have gotten more confidence, I find I slide around in the seat. I use a 4-point for AutoX (Scroth) but OEM belt with a Simpson Hybrid S on track.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #4
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Just FYI: If you pull the stock three point belt ALL the way out and then tighten it, it will remain taut until released. See owner's manual.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Is there a roll cage in your car?
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Since it sounds like you track quite a bit, you probably already know that 4-points aren’t allowed at SCCA, NASA and Chin events. There is one exception I know of (Scroth QuikFit Pro).

I see a lot of folks installing the RSR cage or the Brey-Krause. At the risk of this thread devolving into the usual mess when harness bars are mentioned, I’ll go ahead and say ‘stay away from them’.

I agree with you about the seats. Early when I had the car, the Recaro was fine. As I have gotten more confidence, I find I slide around in the seat. I use a 4-point for AutoX (Scroth) but OEM belt with a Simpson Hybrid S on track.
Agree. I am very much of an opinion of either going full on cage, seats and harnesses, or staying stock and relying on OEM safety of multiple airbags. The former for track only car. The latter for dual purpose car. None of organizers i run with permit 4 points. I find Recaros very supportive if used correctly (leaning into an opposite bolster to the travel direction (which is counter intuitive for many ppl) and sinching the belt per the manual). Done 7 venues and 65 days in past 4 yrs in my SS 1LEs. Would have been 80 if not for covid...
I had a 5 point in my track only C5Z. Surprisingly i dont find the stock set up in the Camaro that much off comfort wise.
Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:36 PM   #7
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Good info in this thread. I'm curious, what makes the Schroth QuickFit Pro acceptable for SCCA, NASA & Chin events? I also always understood harnesses that mount low like that as having the potential to break the seat and/or cause spinal compression injuries. Is this not the case with the QuickFit Pro?

I'm not ready to put a 4 point cage in my car since I still drive it on the street. Thus, I'll probably continue using only the stock 3 point belt system. However, I am interested to learn more about the QuickFit Pro and it's pros & cons.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube

Last edited by RamAir02; 06-17-2021 at 01:58 PM.
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #8
5.M0NSTER

Thanks for all the input guys! Good conversation.

I do not have a harness or roll cage in the car. Part of the deal with the Boss (my wife). Current car has to have usable back seat for our 6yo daughter. Even if her legs are crushed Next car can be a 2 seater, and then roll cage fo-sho.

I run with local clubs which don't care if you use a 4 point, and I don't participate in SCCA or NASA. I know some of the options out there include anti-submarining measures. I don't plan to join those organizations. I time myself with a Garmin Catalyst, and that's all I need to compete with myself and increase driver mod.

My first track day with the 1LE is July 12th. Perhaps I'll try the seatbelt method to see how well I stay in the seat.

In my previous cars I found that even with the seatbelt tight, and seat forward after locking the belt, my hips would still slide left to right. And then I'm not sure if the rear end is moving, or if it's me. And bracing yourself with you knees while cornering and changing gears is not fun. In the mustang it was also ridiculous body roll on top of other factors, and that had Recaro seats too.

So I'm just looking to stay strapped in more snugly, without increasing my risk for injury if siht hits the fan. Also something that's easy to get out of the way for street driving, and doesn't require a bar or cage.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 06-17-2021 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:42 PM   #9
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I am still on the lower end of experience, but have found that that Recaros hold well, with no obvious need to brace, even at 1.25G.

I am safety conscious as well and am wondering about if synching the seat belt per the manual compromises the safety of belt and airbag system in the event of a crash. If you do this, will it release as intended in the event of a frontal crash and allow your body to move forward toward the airbag? If not, I would think basil scull fractural would be a real risk.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:47 PM   #10
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I am still on the lower end of experience, but have found that that Recaros hold well, with no obvious need to brace, even at 1.25G.

I am safety conscious as well and am wondering about if synching the seat belt per the manual compromises the safety of belt and airbag system in the event of a crash. If you do this, will it release as intended in the event of a frontal crash and allow your body to move forward toward the airbag? If not, I would think basil scull fractural would be a real risk.
Good question, but i think GM would not recommend anything that would compromise safety on purpose, even remotely.
All seat belts lock in case of a crash btw. And all belts stretch as well. Even racing harnesses. To an extent, of course.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:09 PM   #11
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Good info in this thread. I'm curious, what makes the Schroth QuickFit Pro acceptable for SCCA, NASA & Chin events? I also always understood harnesses that mount low like that as having the potential to break the seat and/or cause spinal compression injuries. Is this not the case with the QuickFit Pro?

I'm not ready to put a 4 point cage in my car since I still drive it on the street. Thus, I'll probably continue using only the stock 3 point belt system. However, I am interested to learn more about the QuickFit Pro and it's pros & cons.

The Pros are:

It is certified for use with everyone I know of...

It's incredibly easy to install and then use when needed, completely out of the way when not.

It has legit ASM tech that works.

The Cons are:

Not compatible with the 6th Gen Camaro.

I ran one in my Mustang and then in my Focus ST and loved them.

When I bought my 1LE (November 2016), I started begging them to make a version for the 6th Gen.

After two years of pestering, they replied that they had looked at fitment and the angle between the shoulders and the rear attachment points was too steep and it failed the sled test (negated the ASM benefit).

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:21 PM   #12
5.M0NSTER

Quote:
The Pros are:

It's incredibly easy to install and then use when needed, completely out of the way when not.

The Cons are:

When I bought my 1LE (November 2016), I started begging them to make a version for the 6th Gen.

After two years of pestering, they replied that they had looked at fitment and the angle between the shoulders and the rear attachment points was too steep and it failed the sled test (negated the ASM benefit).
Great info, thanks for sharing
Old 06-17-2021, 08:59 PM   #13
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
The Pros are:

The Cons are:

Yeah, thanks for this. Exactly the info I was looking for. It's a shame they can't make one for the 6th gen Camaro. Stock 3 point it is until my ZLE is relegated to track duty only.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:02 PM   #14
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
Just FYI: If you pull the stock three point belt ALL the way out and then tighten it, it will remain taut until released. See owner's manual.
For extra tightness, move your seat backwards slightly, lock and tighten the belt, then move it forward to the original position. I do this and use a Sparco alcantara harness pad over my collarbone, and don't have issues with moving around even at 1.25g. The car is my daily commuter so bars and cages and harnesses are out.

Last edited by funked1; 06-19-2021 at 10:54 AM.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote