Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-08-2023, 08:03 AM   #1
SmAC

Drives: 2016 2SS
Service Pricing

2 time Camaro owner, firsts a 2016 2SS and now a 2022 LT1. My 2016 service prices for oil changes were always around $70 at the local Chevy dealer using the recommended fluid. My first oil change on my LT1 was about $75 and that was September of 2022 at dealer number 1. I stopped back to dealer #1 last week and was quoted $150 for oil change and $280 for rear diff oil change. I called around and received the following quotes

Dealer #2 oil change $220 rear diff $220
Dealer #3 oil change $ 180 and rear diff $200

Yes I can do it myself but this old man doesn't like rolling around on the ground anymore. Just wanting to hear current feedback from the members as I am sure this has been talked about before
SmAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 08:12 AM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
You realize that the LT1 engine holds 10 quarts of oil right…? Anyone doing a $70 oil change is losing their shirt.

Edit: just looked up my last order for oil & filter from Driven Racing Oil, it was $144.97 plus shipping just for the oil and filter (did the labor myself obviously).
Old 04-08-2023, 08:40 AM   #3
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
10 quarts of 0-40 dexos 2 is anywhere between 9 and 11 bucks a quart (retail). And the filter is anywhere between 5 and 10 bucks. You can can get deals on the oil and filter.. but they’re far and few between. IE. I just paid $62 for 10 quarts of oil, that will be after I return the 2 $10 non GM oil filters that come with the “deal”. You could search out these deals and bring the oil and filter to a mechanic (if they’re ok with that), but your savings won’t be much from the $180 figure (especially if you put a value on your time and effort). 10 quarts takes a while to drain and fill, then there’s the waste fee.

The diff fluid cost seems a bit high to me. The fluid itself is expensive, but we’re only talking about 1.2 quarts or so. Then take into consideration they already have the car in the air changing the oil. Seems expensive..
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 08:47 AM   #4
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
10 quarts of 0-40 dexos 2 is anywhere between 9 and 11 bucks a quart (retail). And the filter is anywhere between 5 and 10 bucks. You can can get deals on the oil and filter.. but they’re far and few between. IE. I just paid $62 for 10 quarts of oil, that will be after I return the 2 $10 non GM oil filters that come with the “deal”. You could search out these deals and bring the oil and filter to a mechanic (if they’re ok with that), but your savings won’t be much from the $180 figure (especially if you put a value on your time and effort). 10 quarts takes a while to drain and fill, then there’s the waste fee.

The diff fluid cost seems a bit high to me. The fluid itself is expensive, but we’re only talking about 1.2 quarts or so. Then take into consideration they already have the car in the air changing the oil. Seems expensive..
Keep in mind the fluid is just one part of the deal. I can tell you with great certainty it costs so much money to stay in business these days. Owning a dealership or even a higher end service station will have a ton of overhead. The cost of the facility, lifts, specialized tools, HVAC, electricity, water/sewer, payroll taxes, excise taxes, property taxes, IT, service manager, service writer, right down to the receptionist who answers the phone…. If a car gets brought in for service and they can’t net at least 20-25% of that service call for overhead and profit it’s literally not worth opening the doors.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:00 AM   #5
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Nothing is cheap these days. I have to take my Harley in next week for some maintenance. They are now charging $150/hr. I recall when they used to charge $60/hr.

You have to pay to play. Toys are never cheap. I'm just thankful I can own the toys I do and not have to worry about the cost of them.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 09:09 AM   #6
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I can get the 0W-40 M1 Supercar for ~$100 for 10 qts. Then the filter is ~$10.

So $110 for the parts, Give or take items on sale and bulk etc...

You decide if the labor is worth it.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 09:18 AM   #7
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
I can get the 0W-40 M1 Supercar for ~$100 for 10 qts. Then the filter is ~$10.

So $110 for the parts, Give or take items on sale and bulk etc...

You decide if the labor is worth it.
overtightened filter & drain plug, audio system blasting

The one time I was lazy and this is what I got for my free oil change.

(been changing fluids since 1975)
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 09:24 AM   #8
Hammer-joe

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS
Service

One advantage if having a GM dealer do your maintenance. There will be a record of the work that was done in case of any warranty problems that would arise.
Hammer-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 09:32 AM   #9
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
500 USD an hour for a franchise dealer to work on you car here lol..plus 25% taxes.
i do what i can myself. buy my oil from germany.
here in sweden EVERYTHING is a colossal rip off. 5 USD for a small loaf of bread lol.
ok we earn quite good but come on
Old 04-08-2023, 09:55 AM   #10
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Keep in mind the fluid is just one part of the deal. I can tell you with great certainty it costs so much money to stay in business these days. Owning a dealership or even a higher end service station will have a ton of overhead. The cost of the facility, lifts, specialized tools, HVAC, electricity, water/sewer, payroll taxes, excise taxes, property taxes, IT, service manager, service writer, right down to the receptionist who answers the phone…. If a car gets brought in for service and they can’t net at least 20-25% of that service call for overhead and profit it’s literally not worth opening the doors.
You’re misinterpreting… I have no doubt you’re on point and know for sure dealers have high very high overhead costs…I also know dealers pay less for their oil and filters. Which makes sense, they have to make a healthy profit. My brother tells me about some of the costs they pay and charge for Porsche and Audi parts, and I almost fall off my chair. Both are ridiculously $, but I guess everyone has to eat.

What I was alluding to was even if he got a retail deal on the oil and filter, he’s not going to save much bringing it to someone else, so the price is what it is. He can figure out whether there’s value in one stop shopping. I would say yes, there is. The cost is higher, but there’s less hassle.

However, I stick by my commentary on the diff fluid change.. If he was bring the car in for JUST that service, I’d say sure, the cost makes sense (at a dealer). But, if he’s doing both oil and diff, it literally takes a few minutes more time to change the diff fluid, while the car is already in the air (and the engine oil is draining) Again, he can figure out how he wants to deal with his service. Sometimes you can get something cheaper by doing a bit more work on your end, or asking questions, just as he’s done here. Is it worth it? I can’t say for sure since I do my own fluid changes.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:18 PM   #11
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
You’re misinterpreting… I have no doubt you’re on point and know for sure dealers have high very high overhead costs…I also know dealers pay less for their oil and filters. Which makes sense, they have to make a healthy profit. My brother tells me about some of the costs they pay and charge for Porsche and Audi parts, and I almost fall off my chair. Both are ridiculously $, but I guess everyone has to eat.

What I was alluding to was even if he got a retail deal on the oil and filter, he’s not going to save much bringing it to someone else, so the price is what it is. He can figure out whether there’s value in one stop shopping. I would say yes, there is. The cost is higher, but there’s less hassle.

However, I stick by my commentary on the diff fluid change.. If he was bring the car in for JUST that service, I’d say sure, the cost makes sense (at a dealer). But, if he’s doing both oil and diff, it literally takes a few minutes more time to change the diff fluid, while the car is already in the air (and the engine oil is draining) Again, he can figure out how he wants to deal with his service. Sometimes you can get something cheaper by doing a bit more work on your end, or asking questions, just as he’s done here. Is it worth it? I can’t say for sure since I do my own fluid changes.
No worries, we’re on the same page. Owning a dealership is NOT a license to rip people off and there’s a LOT of bad ones out there. FWIW I refuse to let any dealership touch my car for any reason. But the OP was being a bit unreasonable IMO, so that’s all I was getting at.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:05 PM   #12
22SS1LE

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE 6M
my dealer wanted 150 for the oil change which I knew but they told me $280 total to do oil and diff. $130 more for 2qts of diff fluid and MAYBE 5mins work on the lift
8/24. IT HAS ARRIVED at the dealer
8/25- It is in the Garage
ACS ZL1 Sideskirts, 20% tint, CAI Intake
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:24 PM   #13
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Cheapest I got 10qts and filter was $80 and that's cause someone sold their car and had a kit left over.

Usually I'm right around $110-120 if I do it myself. At the dealer I wanna say I'm around $150.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:12 AM   #14
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
I don't believe that dealers are going to "cut a deal" for anyone simply because, in this instance, the car may already be up on the lift. Hasn't it been some time now that almost all of them use some bogus system of standardized "task times" for calculating unit labor charges? So they're not gonna say, OK, it was 0.75 hours for the oil change, but only five minutes for the diff fluid. Nope, 0.75 and 1.25, or whatever, because, sir, "that's how 'our system' charges for it."

If you were a very good customer and were to politely, but unmistakably let them know that YOU know that the $280 figure is excessive, and for this exact reason, then MAYBE somehow they could find some sort of "shop discount code" they could apply to part of the work. But probably not, and otherwise, no, I would not expect them to do that at all, which is why one should probs maintain a solid relationship with an individual shop, or do work like this oneself.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote