Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-22-2023, 04:55 AM   #1
Hadies

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
2017 LGX Twin Charged build

DISCLAMER: This build is not complete I am currently on the final iteration, the pictures shown are from testing and prototype phases trying different configurations so you will see some subpar parts and installations as they were meant to be disposable to test viability. I have tried my best to list all parts used with part numbers where available and where I got them. For those interested in this build there will be gaps in updates as not everything has arrived yet, I will post MOST of what I have done with wiring diagrams and schematics as I work through the final build but everything has been tested and working through the various iterations of the build.

I technically started this build three years ago, I originally bought this car to be economical but enjoyable to drive back and forth from work so I resisted my urge for a nice supercharged V8, that went out the window the moment my warranty ended. Over the last few years I have tested different configurations to draw out the most power from this motor as possible with stock internals and I can say it will take a lot, hitting 20+ PSI of compound boost with no issues except running out of fuel at the top end. In the end I decided on a twin charged setup (twin T3 turbos and an Edelbrock supercharger(Eaton TVS R1740)) after trying just turbos and supercharger, I found the twin charged setup allowed for more power through the entire curve.

I am going to do more in-depth writeups on each section of this build as I complete the final installs and timer permits but here are the highlights, and most of these parts are readily available except the 9:1 C/R ross pistons but you can get 10:1 off the shelf as the told me they make a lot for a specific company ill have to look it up though, and the port injection plates those are one-off’s that aren’t done yet because I don’t have a CNC just a manual mill so a lot of cut measure cut measure repeat endlessly.
Engine
Molnar Rods, Ross pistons, expanded combustion chambers to 60cc, ARP head studs, with the studs listed you have to use a ¼ stainless steel ball bearing as a stop between the stud and block but I will go more into this when that is completed I am still in the assembly phase, Melling Valves, Springs, retainers. There are more parts in this build but will go into that in the writeup.
Fuel
Most of this is Aeromotive, Triple 450 return style fuel system integrated with the factory direct injection system and added a supplemental port injection system, I am using a inline fuel heatsink on the return to cool the fuel as it goes back to the tank, 80mm throttle body from Overkill.
Exhaust/Boost
MBRP 3inch cat back with Borla stingers welded into the back this gives a very clean sound with minimal drone. Twin T3 turbos, in the pictures the turbos are mid mount but I am moving them back into the engine bay to simplify routing of the plumbing, eliminate the scavenger pump and provide better clearance under the car, this does require relocating the fuse box, ECM, and coolant expansion tank and an Edelbrock supercharger(Eaton TVS R1740)). All being controlled by a Greddy Profec boost controller, and right now doing two stage cooling with water to air and an air to air front mount but might change that to just air to air front mount.
Cooling
I installed the full HD Cooling system from a ZL1 and a modified ColdCase SS radiator.
Drivetrain and Brakes
ZL1 front and rear brakes, I actually installed the entire rear cradle from a ZL1 and made a customer harness for the controls and GMLAN BUS. Unlocked transmission controller from HP and RX stall converter from Tracy Lewis performance.
I know there is stuff I am missing but this is just a synopsis right now. Don’t as for Dyno charts or track times as I have not taken her to the strip yet and the only Dyno run I have done was with the supercharger on stock internals but put down over 450 to the wheels on a Mustang Dyno.
When the build is complete and I do those I will post them.

Engine

Molnar GM Chevy 3.6 LGX Engine Rods
Molnar technologies
Ross Pistons
Custom 9:1 C/R
Tracy Lewis Signature Series catch can
Tracy Lewis Performance
GM Connecting Rod Bearings
Valves Intake qty 12
Melling
Valves Exhaust Qty 12
Melling
Valve Guide Seals
Rockauto
Valve Springs / Retainers
Melling
1/4 in. stainless steel ball bearings
Amazon
Head Stud ARP M12x1.75 x 196mm (7.7in) Qty: 16
AU7.700-2B 23.86
ARP Washer 12mm
200-8500
ARP Nut 12mm
300-8307
ARP Head Corner Bolts ARP M8 x 1.25 80mm
AF3.725-1B
ARP Washer 8mm
300-8340
ARP Nut 8mm
200-8595
Crankshaft Seal
GM GENUINE 12654010
Fuel/Air

Fuel Pump, Triple 450, Chevy 2016-20 Camaro, 2016-19 Cadillac CTSV/ATSV
Aeromotive
80MM Throttle body
Overkill
Fuel heatsinks
Amazon
Fuel Regulator 13305
Aeromotive
Fuel Filter 12350
Aeromotive
Check Valve 15107
Aeromotive
Billet 2” Filter Bracket 12305
Aeromotive
Tee Block 15137
Aeromotive
Flex Fuel Sensor
Wildhammer
Port Injection Fuel Rails
Aeromotive
Port Injection Fuel Injectors
TBD
Fuel Line
10AN Feed 8AN return
Fuel Pump speed controller
Aeromotive
Port Injection Controller
Splitsecond
Intake Manifold port injection spacers
Custom
Boost/Exhaust

Edelbrock Super Charger
Edelbrock
Twin T3 turbos

External Wastegates

Sequential BOV

2 water to air intercoolers

Air to Air intercooler front mount

Greddy Profec boost controller
Greddy
Borla stingers
Borla
Down pipes
Custom
Dual Wide Band O2 Sensors
Inovation
2 Pieces Design DIY 2.5” Rotatable pipe T3 Flange x2
Ebay
Cooling

Auxiliary Radiator Stud
Cowl Grille Clip
Upper Bracket Upper Insulator
Upper Bracket Lower Insulator
Front Duct - Passenger Side (RH)
Rear Duct - Passenger Side (RH)
Lower Bracket (RH)
Upper Bracket (RH)
Front Duct - Driver's Side (LH)
Rear Duct - Driver's Side (LH)
Lower Bracket (LH)
Upper Bracket (LH)
Auxiliary Radiators X 2

Cold Case Aluminum Radiator

Drivetrain/Brakes

ZL1 E-LSD rearend and cradle

Custom harness for communication and rear E-brake function

ZL1 Front Rotos and calipers

ZL1 Rear 4 Piston Rear rotors and calipers

Steel Braded Brake Lines

RX Billet Pro Stall Converter 2016+ GM
Tracy Lewis Performance
Unlocked Transmission Controller
HP Tunner
Attached Images

Hadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 03:56 PM   #2
Hadies

Going to tackle the fuel system this weekend... Mostly i still have not received the flex fuel sensor or the pump controller below is the bulk of whats going in with some pic's of the goodies and diagrams.

Wont finish this weekend but once its done i will do a full write-up.

Aeromotive Fuel Pump, Triple 450, Chevy 2016-20 Camaro, 2016-19 Cadillac CTSV/ATSV
Fuel heatsinks for return
Aeromotive Fuel Regulator 13305
Aeromotive Fuel Filter 12350
Aeromotive Check Valve 15107
Aeromotive Billet 2” Filter Bracket 12305
Aeromotive Tee Block 15137
Flex Fuel Sensor
Fuel Line10AN Feed 8AN return
Fore Innovations FC3 Triple Pump Controller
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2023, 03:05 AM   #3
truckrglenn

Drives: Chevy camaro
You must be rich! lol
Old 02-27-2023, 05:41 AM   #4
Hadies

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckrglenn View Post
You must be rich! lol

That's funny, i wish! just been saving and got to use most of my bonus this year on fun stuff instead of being a responsible adult lol!, helps i can do all the fabrication myself.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:10 AM   #5
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
This project is amazing Hadies. Are you doing the tuning all by yourself or is someone else? I have heard that compound boost is difficult to manage which is why twin charged vehicles are very far and few. Also I love the custom twins but wouldn't a large single turbo (possibly a rearmount) in conjunction with the supercharger been a little easier?
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:34 AM   #6
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
What in the meth is going on here?
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 04:25 PM   #7
Hadies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYD3800SII View Post
This project is amazing Hadies. Are you doing the tuning all by yourself or is someone else? I have heard that compound boost is difficult to manage which is why twin charged vehicles are very far and few. Also I love the custom twins but wouldn't a large single turbo (possibly a rearmount) in conjunction with the supercharger been a little easier?

Yes and no I toyed with the idea of a rear mount but the amount of plumbing needed, and either use a sealed bearing turbo or an isolated oil system with a tank adds other complexities, a larger single turbo would be more efficient but other than a rear mount there is no good place to put it, with everything else I stuffed in the engine bay there isn't enough room between the radiator and engine or have to have a larger scoop on the hood that i really didnt want. As for the tuning I have done enough tuning to get it close but have a local tuner that is far better then I am at it, when im done with everything ill get it where I think its close then schedule some dino time and have him do it right
Old 03-01-2023, 07:58 PM   #8
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
What kind of HP and torque numbers do you anticipate this setup will produce? I'm pretty sure you have the most advanced LGX build ever done at this point.
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 04:30 AM   #9
Hadies

My target is 800, now will I get there who knows but with the secondary injection system and lower compression I think ill get close. Ross engineered the pistons to handel 900 with heavier pins ill post the job sheet when they get here its the last engine component im waiting on, and the stall converter is rated to 800. Will the rest of the transmission handle it, who knows. Im pretty impressed with this engine, the amount of abuse it took on stock internals surprised me if GM had implemented port injection with the DI system im pretty sure it would have handled the boost I was putting in it, only issue I had was running out fuel on the top end.
Old 03-03-2023, 09:44 PM   #10
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
If the 8L45 survives that power, I read that Hyperhawk swapped to the 8L90 a year ago and he's stage 2 Overkill supercharged last I remember but in the process of building the engine out now. Overkill's site estimates 10-11 psi and 390-420 whp

Sick build, hoping to see it in action soon!
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 06:58 AM   #11
Hadies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
If the 8L45 survives that power, I read that Hyperhawk swapped to the 8L90 a year ago and he's stage 2 Overkill supercharged last I remember but in the process of building the engine out now. Overkill's site estimates 10-11 psi and 390-420 whp

Sick build, hoping to see it in action soon!
Im hoping by the end of March early April only thing im waiting on now is my Pistons from Ross i got everything else last week. Going to try and wrap up the fuel system this week and start fabing the new exhaust components to move the turbo's into the engine bay. The trans is a huge concern and i keep going back and forth on swapping it while the engine is out just more time on the build, I probably will regret it if I don't as with all things we should have done while it was easier lol

Update: Now I remember why I didn't have the trans on the build and got the stall converter is couldn't find any info on the swap if its even possible. I have taken a chance on some of the Mods I have done not knowing if they would work but didn't want to roll the dice on a transmission swap without more data, I would definitely appreciate any info on this swap.

Last edited by Hadies; 03-04-2023 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-04-2023, 04:35 PM   #12
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadies View Post
Im hoping by the end of March early April only thing im waiting on now is my Pistons from Ross i got everything else last week. Going to try and wrap up the fuel system this week and start fabing the new exhaust components to move the turbo's into the engine bay. The trans is a huge concern and i keep going back and forth on swapping it while the engine is out just more time on the build, I probably will regret it if I don't as with all things we should have done while it was easier lol

Update: Now I remember why I didn't have the trans on the build and got the stall converter is couldn't find any info on the swap if its even possible. I have taken a chance on some of the Mods I have done not knowing if they would work but didn't want to roll the dice on a transmission swap without more data, I would definitely appreciate any info on this swap.
If you can, join this Facebook group. Benjamin Reeves has done or is doing the 8L90 swap, his car is Hyperhawk. Tracy Lewis can give a huge chunk of info and may even be able to do the swap himself if you’re nearby.

Mobile link - https://m.facebook.com/groups/258745...ibextid=S66gvF

Desktop link - https://www.facebook.com/groups/258745904565294/
Happiness: Infinite

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 03-04-2023 at 10:11 PM.
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:11 AM   #13
Hadies

Thanks for the info ill check it out! im about an hour drive from Tracy Lewis and will be taking the car down there once its back on the road for the catch can install and let him see the car. I will talk to him about the swap and what it entails im kinda surprised he didnt mention it when I bought the stall converter and cooler.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:02 PM   #14
Hadies

Received the last few parts for the fuel system, here is the Fore Innovations Triple pump controller with 100amp breaker. Those guys are super helpful even though im not using their pumps and even responded to emails on weekends when they were closed, now out to the garage to finish the fuel system.
Attached Images