Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 10-03-2022, 04:58 PM   #1
SpecialPurpose_1LE

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Recommended Performance Driving School?

Looking for your guys' recommendations on what performance driving schools I should take a look at. I've been wanting to participate in track days but many of them require previous track day experience or performance driving school experience. I'm located in Las Vegas, so school recommendations in the Western US would be preferred. So far I've looked at the following:

Cadillac V-Performance Academy (Pahrump, NV - Spring Valley Raceway)
BMW M-Performance School (Thermal, CA - Thermal Club)
Fast Lane Race School (Rosamond, CA - Willow Springs International Raceway)

Have any of you participated in these, and if so, how would you rate your experience? Individuals that have participated in other performance driving schools, how was your experience and would you recommend them?

As far as my driving experience goes (not sure if it matters?) I only have a few auto-x's in the 1LE under my belt. In years past I had a lot of driving time in the off-road racing environment (desert racing), but of course not much of those driving techniques transfer to pavement racing aside from car control. Thanks guys!
SpecialPurpose_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:17 PM   #2
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I did the BMW Performance school (2 days) I had fun.

What kind of track days are you trying to go to that require previous track experience? There are plenty of organizations that will allow you to drive without experience.

As for the BMW School it was a fun mix of track driving, car control and classroom time. It was pretty fun. Here are some clips from my time there(mine was in the SC location).

Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:12 PM   #3
NinthWave

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Consider the marque clubs too. Porsche Club of America (PCA) and BMW Car Club America (BMWCCA). I don't know what they may have in your area but I've driven with them in TX. They do a good job with beginners and most regions welcome other marque cars. I took my SS1LE to COTA with PCA recently.
NinthWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:37 PM   #4
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I haven't done one of the driving schools you (the OP) mentioned, but the main plus IMHO would be the wet skidpad exercises which is really helpful to learning the basics of car control. The minus however is that you are learning on a car that is not the same as yours and you are getting less track time because you are sharing the car with other students.

If you go the route of doing an HPDE event with a club like BMW or PCA (this is what I'd suggest), you'll get to use your own car which is far more valuable learning as well as have more track time and an instructor in your car who will critique what you are doing and help you learn. The BMW club that does VIR (my track) offers skid pad exercises to boot, which nullifies the main benefit of the schools you were looking at. The HPDE events put students into experience level groups with appropriate instruction for each, so you'll get more customized teaching.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:53 PM   #5
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I haven't done one of the driving schools you (the OP) mentioned, but the main plus IMHO would be the wet skidpad exercises which is really helpful to learning the basics of car control. The minus however is that you are learning on a car that is not the same as yours and you are getting less track time because you are sharing the car with other students.

If you go the route of doing an HPDE event with a club like BMW or PCA (this is what I'd suggest), you'll get to use your own car which is far more valuable learning as well as have more track time and an instructor in your car who will critique what you are doing and help you learn. The BMW club that does VIR (my track) offers skid pad exercises to boot, which nullifies the main benefit of the schools you were looking at. The HPDE events put students into experience level groups with appropriate instruction for each, so you'll get more customized teaching.
You actually get a lot of track time at the BMW Performance center, definitely more than a typical day with NASA. Everyone gets their own car, there are 2 groups. One group is working on one thing while the other is working on another thing on a different part of the track.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:54 AM   #6
NashZL1

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
I did the Ron Fellows Corvette Driving School in April 2018 after I boughgt my C7 Grand Sport. Great experience overall, and a beautiful facility and superb insructors and track(s).

Highly recommend Spring Mountain in Pahrump, Nevada.
2020 Genesis G90 Ultimate
2019 Mercedes-Benz SL450
2017 Corvette Grand Sport A8
2016 Hyundai Equus Ultimate
1971 Datsun 240Z
NashZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:42 AM   #7
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
It's not necessary to attend a driving school to get into HPDE. Sure, do it if you'd like, but it's not something you need to dive into the hobby. Most clubs have beginner groups that are instructed. Look into PCA, Chin Track Days, TNIA, Hooked On Driving, BMW CCA, etc. You can find events on motorsportreg.com and filter by "Driver School" to find HPDE events.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:11 AM   #8
EhsanGT

Drives: Camaro GT4.R, Cadillac ATS-V
I'll second the recommendation for Spring Mountain. I did their V-academy and despite being the most track experienced student in the class, I still learned a ton. Going back in the fall for the Level 2 Corvette school. If you are in Vegas, there's no reason to travel farther away.
EhsanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 03:41 AM   #9
John Brown

Drives: Ford mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialPurpose_1LE View Post
Looking for your guys' recommendations on what performance driving schools I should take a look at. I've been wanting to participate in track days but many of them require previous track day experience or performance driving school experience. I'm located in Las Vegas, so school recommendations in the Western US would be preferred. So far I've looked at the following:

Cadillac V-Performance Academy (Pahrump, NV - Spring Valley Raceway)
BMW M-Performance School (Thermal, CA - Thermal Club)
Fast Lane Race School (Rosamond, CA - Willow Springs International Raceway)

Have any of you participated in these, and if so, how would you rate your experience? Individuals that have participated in other performance driving schools, how was your experience and would you recommend them?
Learning new skills through performance driving schools is of great importance for several reasons. First and foremost, these schools provide a controlled environment where you can explore the limits of your vehicle and your own capabilities as a driver, all under the guidance of experienced instructors. They teach you advanced driving techniques, such as high-speed cornering, braking, and vehicle control, which are essential for safely navigating challenging situations on the road or track. It reminds me of a time when I had to develop my essay writing skills. Just like with driving, essay writing requires practice, guidance, and a willingness to learn and improve. When I first started writing essays, I found it challenging to articulate my thoughts effectively and coherently on paper. However, through consistent practice and seeking feedback from teachers and peers, I was able to develop my writing skills over time. Also, a huge impact on my learning was a site that provide me with essay examples. You can continue reading here to find out more about this site. I learned the importance of structuring my essays, crafting strong thesis statements, providing evidence to support my arguments, and refining my grammar and punctuation.
As far as my driving experience goes (not sure if it matters?) I only have a few auto-x's in the 1LE under my belt. In years past I had a lot of driving time in the off-road racing environment (desert racing), but of course not much of those driving techniques transfer to pavement racing aside from car control. Thanks guys!
I had the chance to attend the Cadillac V-Performance Academy at Spring Valley Raceway in Pahrump, NV, and I must say it was a blast! The whole experience was incredibly fun and exciting.

The instructors were top-notch, providing excellent guidance and tips throughout the program. They really knew their stuff and helped me improve my driving skills on the track. The curriculum was well-structured, covering everything from vehicle dynamics to advanced techniques.

Last edited by John Brown; 05-31-2023 at 08:13 AM.
John Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 10:09 AM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
this is a good one also in socal/norcal my buddy nik romano owns it

https://www.fastsideways.com/
Old 05-26-2023, 10:40 AM   #11
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
this is a good one also in socal/norcal my buddy nik romano owns it

https://www.fastsideways.com/

I'm signed up for fast sideways in July, heard some great things about it.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 11:04 AM   #12
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
I'm signed up for fast sideways in July, heard some great things about it.

yessir i agree nik is a good guy and great driver its just a bit expensive $$$
Old 05-26-2023, 11:27 AM   #13
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
yessir i agree nik is a good guy and great driver its just a bit expensive $$$

Yea it's not cheap, if I didn't hear really good things about it I wouldn't have spent the money. Woulda bought another set of tires!
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:09 AM   #14
OneLapWonder

Drives: 2008 Audi RS4
I’ve been attending HPDE through various hosts in my area. I’ve had the best instruction through Audi Club PCC region events, but that may just be the individual instructors are really good in my area rather than a global standard. I’ve attended one other region’s events and the instruction was above average but not spectacular.

I’ve been told that it’s better to spend the money on seat time rather than attending a dedicated 1, 2, 3 day school which is cost equivalent to 2 to 6 days HPDEs.
2018 Chebby Camaro ZLE HMB
OneLapWonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast, performance, race, school, track