Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
IntegraR0064

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
1LE transmission cooler lines - coolant or oil?

I know this is a stupid question but I'm going crazy trying to figure this out and my google fu sucks. I have a 2019 SS 1LE with manual transmission and it recently had a replaced engine. One of the transmission cooler lines popped off afterwards, I assume because they didn't attach it correctly. Red fluid got everywhere. My coolant was a bit low. I assumed it was coolant. Replaced line and refilled coolant.

Now my transmission is starting to make a whining noise and I'm wondering if I don't understand anything and it's actually transmission oil going through those lines and now maybe my transmission oil is low.

So are the transmission cooler lines running transmission oil up to the radiator, or are they running coolant through the transmission? In other words, is it possible that red fluid was actually transmission oil?

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:09 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
was it pinkish red or dark red ? i want to say it should be coolant but not 100%
Old 08-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #3
IntegraR0064

Honestly no idea. It was at the track and it was getting darker. It looked "red" to me. I convinced myself it was coolant but now I'm second guessing. Normally I'm way more in tune with my car but since this is under warranty I've been letting the dealer do everything.

I should just drain the fluid and see but again if there's a problem I probably should just let the dealer handle it, but they can't get me in for a few days.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:27 PM   #4
IntegraR0064

The more I read the more I'm fairly sure they're oil lines, not coolant lines. Tomorrow going to drain it and see.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #5
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
They are oil lines. The oil runs through the lines and into an internal oil cooler inside the end tank of the radiator.

You need to do a thorough flush of your entire transmission and cooling lines as all the fluid is contaminated.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:10 AM   #6
IntegraR0064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
They are oil lines. The oil runs through the lines and into an internal oil cooler inside the end tank of the radiator.

You need to do a thorough flush of your entire transmission and cooling lines as all the fluid is contaminated.
Thanks for confirming, appreciate it. Is there a DIY on a way to actually flush the lines? Or do I need to bring it to the dealer? Did some quick searching and don't see anything, everyone just talking about emptying from drain hole and filling from fill hole.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:35 PM   #7
IntegraR0064

When you say the lines are contaminated, did you think that I put coolant in the transmission? I can't really think of a reason the lines would have contamination. When I added coolant I added it to the coolant tank.

Currently thinking I just do the fluid change the normal way, drain and refill trans, don't worry about the lines.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:33 AM   #8
cam765

Drives: 2019 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraR0064 View Post
When you say the lines are contaminated, did you think that I put coolant in the transmission? I can't really think of a reason the lines would have contamination. When I added coolant I added it to the coolant tank.

Currently thinking I just do the fluid change the normal way, drain and refill trans, don't worry about the lines.
Yes, I have the same question. Why would the transmission, cooler lines, and cooler itself be contaminated? Since you lost fluid when the line became disconnected, you need to have this filled back to the correct level.
cam765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #9
Blobby

Drives: Former Owner '16 Camaro 2LT V6 conv
If you didn’t put coolant int the transmission fill, you’re perfectly fine, Just a low gear oil. Trans coolers are just radiators that the trans fluid runs thru. Make sure you fill with MT oil. I’m pretty sure ATF and manual fluid are different and can destroy the tranny if you use the wrong one. Check your manual and use the right stuff.

I really don’t like modern radiators with integrated trans cooler. As far as I understand the engine coolant and trans oil are still completely separate systems, but are housed in the same radiator unit. I’d much prefer having a separate trans radiator.
Blobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #10
cam765

Drives: 2019 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobby View Post
If you didn’t put coolant int the transmission fill, you’re perfectly fine, Just a low gear oil. Trans coolers are just radiators that the trans fluid runs thru. Make sure you fill with MT oil. I’m pretty sure ATF and manual fluid are different and can destroy the tranny if you use the wrong one. Check your manual and use the right stuff.

I really don’t like modern radiators with integrated trans cooler. As far as I understand the engine coolant and trans oil are still completely separate systems, but are housed in the same radiator unit. I’d much prefer having a separate trans radiator.
Yes, these are different transmission fluids between MTF and ATF.

I totally agree with the integrated radiator and trans cooler. I had an ATS (same Alpha platform as Camaro) where there was an internal failure in the radiator, so the coolant and trans fluids mixed. Required triple flushing the transmission and cooler lines as well the cooling system. I think these failures are rare, but when they happen it is unbelievable how expensive it gets to fix properly.
cam765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:18 PM   #11
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraR0064 View Post

Yes, it sounded like you had put coolant into the transmission system.

If that is not the case, a simple top off of the trans fluid is likely all you need to do. But a drain and re-fill of the trans fluid is never a bad idea.

I was not meaning to insult in anyway; the vast majority of people I talk to have zero knowledge of cars and how they work.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:59 AM   #12
IntegraR0064

No insult taken, just trying to understand your contamination comment and make sure I'm not missing anything. I can see how you'd misunderstand what I said to think i might have put coolant in the transmission. Thanks for the replies.

Mostly there was someone at the track with a camaro who seemed like they really knew what they were talking about and they told me both coolant tanks should be full. Obviously the expansion tank lower one wasn't because it's not supposed to be, so based on what he said it seemed obvious I'd lost coolant (which was wrong). He also told me that coolant runs from the radiator through the transmission through those lines. Looking at the line going up to the radiator his comment made sense. And the transmission felt fine. Seemed obvious it was coolant. And I really wanted to believe it was coolant since I had no way to pump transmission oil in at the track. Otherwise I wouldn't have made so many assumptions. Feel really dumb now for trusting random dude.

I wanted to drain and put in redline d4 anyway so this is a good opportunity to do that. Will do it today. Hopefully I didn't damage the transmission with the little bit of driving around and doing one autocross on low oil. Doing the job today, fingers crossed I don't find a bunch of metal shavings or something.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:20 AM   #13
Blobby

Drives: Former Owner '16 Camaro 2LT V6 conv
It could be that a coolant cooled transmission exists. After all some turbos have coolant running through them.
Blobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #14
IntegraR0064

Just drained it and yeah, was definitely transmission oil. I was at about 1/4 of what i should be. And it looked exactly the same as I remembered the puddle, a bit darker red than the coolant.