Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-06-2022, 11:36 AM   #29
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
The exhaust is not connected obviously. I am working on the charge pipe and intercooling which goes all the way down the passenger side of the car. I am going to use an A2W intercooler to save space and avoid cutting up my front bumper. This is the same twinscroll turbo I mentioned in the early post. I also have an old Turbowerx EXA pump, two 35MM wastegates, dual mufflers, air filter and a good tune that will need to be completed. I will keep posting pics of the progress every weekend. The nice thing about this setup is that you can keep driving the car NA until everything is finally done so there is really no downtime.
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:48 PM   #30
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYD3800SII View Post
The exhaust is not connected obviously. I am working on the charge pipe and intercooling which goes all the way down the passenger side of the car. I am going to use an A2W intercooler to save space and avoid cutting up my front bumper. This is the same twinscroll turbo I mentioned in the early post. I also have an old Turbowerx EXA pump, two 35MM wastegates, dual mufflers, air filter and a good tune that will need to be completed. I will keep posting pics of the progress every weekend. The nice thing about this setup is that you can keep driving the car NA until everything is finally done so there is really no downtime.
I wish you luck man, rearmounts are a nightmare in my experience, oil scavenging issues and always chasing boost leaks. If I was dead set on boosting a v6, the procharger p1x kit would it, simple, reliable, and capable. Hope you don't end up with all the BS issues I had on my old project rear mount.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 02:41 PM   #31
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
I wish you luck man, rearmounts are a nightmare in my experience, oil scavenging issues and always chasing boost leaks. If I was dead set on boosting a v6, the procharger p1x kit would it, simple, reliable, and capable. Hope you don't end up with all the BS issues I had on my old project rear mount.
I totally agree, and I'm not too worried about those issues. I think it will be fun in the short run and it costs less than $2k including a tune as long as I do it my self. I already had the wastegates, turbos, and scavenger pump from a previous project. I have a couple of twins that I can install on the front later on that are more reliable. Im gonna see what I can do first and go forward.

BTW, What vehicle did you work on that had a custom rearmount?
Old 09-06-2022, 05:29 PM   #32
LT1ornothing

Quote:
I totally agree, and I'm not too worried about those issues. I think it will be fun in the short run and it costs less than $2k including a tune as long as I do it my self. I already had the wastegates, turbos, and scavenger pump from a previous project. I have a couple of twins that I can install on the front later on that are more reliable. Im gonna see what I can do first and go forward.

BTW, What vehicle did you work on that had a custom rearmount?
Early c5 vette, super fun when it ran good, but always under the car or hood looking for issues. If I could do it again, I would have done a centri blower, makes less power, but the reliability is better. And doing single or twin turbo under the hood was out of the budget.
Old 09-06-2022, 07:58 PM   #33
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Early c5 vette, super fun when it ran good, but always under the car or hood looking for issues. If I could do it again, I would have done a centri blower, makes less power, but the reliability is better. And doing single or twin turbo under the hood was out of the budget.
Wow!! I bet it was nice. Did u save any pics. My dream is to have a C7 and I would absolutely twin remote turbo it. There are 3 or 4 things that you have to do with them to make them work well including V-Bands, header wrap, and oil reservoir before the pump. They also make a quick spool valve that virtually eliminates all lag if you have an additional $500. Finally pick a quality stainless wastegate and properly sized turbo so you don't run into early mechanical failures. Still I would love to see how you did yours.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:23 PM   #34
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Wow!! I bet it was nice. Did u save any pics. My dream is to have a C7 and I would absolutely twin remote turbo it. There are 3 or 4 things that you have to do with them to make them work well including V-Bands, header wrap, and oil reservoir before the pump. They also make a quick spool valve that virtually eliminates all lag if you have an additional $500. Finally pick a quality stainless wastegate and properly sized turbo so you don't run into early mechanical failures. Still I would love to see how you did yours.
It was the ancient STS single rear mount they had 20 years ago. You can find pics if you google them, probably videos too. Never dyno'd, it was street tuned with a speed density tune. It was fast, but more downtime than I ever car to have in another project
Old 09-07-2022, 08:46 AM   #35
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
It was the ancient STS single rear mount they had 20 years ago. You can find pics if you google them, probably videos too. Never dyno'd, it was street tuned with a speed density tune. It was fast, but more downtime than I ever car to have in another project
So you bought an original STS kit with a single turbo that included the pump, but not all the piping? I ask because the original Corvette kits "should" have come with twins and be fully bolt on. One of the main reasons why they went belly up is because of ALL the issues you described. If they had did their research and actually included full stainless parts, header wrap, oil reservoir, quality pump, check valves and better warranty then I am sure they could have had more reliable systems at the same or lower costs. Seems like everyone else learned how to make them work better than the company did! Holley performance took them over a few years back and they don't even sell full kits for them anymore. The prices have dropped considerably. https://www.holley.com/products/engi...te_mount_kits/
Old 09-07-2022, 09:29 AM   #36
LT1ornothing

Quote:
So you bought an original STS kit with a single turbo that included the pump, but not all the piping? I ask because the original Corvette kits "should" have come with twins and be fully bolt on. One of the main reasons why they went belly up is because of ALL the issues you described. If they had did their research and actually included full stainless parts, header wrap, oil reservoir, quality pump, check valves and better warranty then I am sure they could have had more reliable systems at the same or lower costs. Seems like everyone else learned how to make them work better than the company did! Holley performance took them over a few years back and they don't even sell full kits for them anymore. The prices have dropped considerably. https://www.holley.com/products/engi...te_mount_kits/
It was a single kit, probably adapted from an F-body version which came with a medium single. The oil scavenging was all upgraded (pump, wiring, oil lines check valve etc, since the hardware that came with the kit was junk. Always issues, hidden vacuum leaks, boost leaks, oil weeping from the compressor, oil residues in the charge pipe. It was not fun at all when it had an issue. I was under the car or under the hood once a week. As far as wrapping the hot side pipes, I barely noticed a difference, maybe 200 rpm quicker spool if that. I can tell you that there was nothing fun about rewrapping the hot pipes every few months.
In hindsight, a blower would have been much more enjoyable and trouble free, but you live and you learn.
Old 09-07-2022, 12:31 PM   #37
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
It was a single kit, probably adapted from an F-body version which came with a medium single. The oil scavenging was all upgraded (pump, wiring, oil lines check valve etc, since the hardware that came with the kit was junk. Always issues, hidden vacuum leaks, boost leaks, oil weeping from the compressor, oil residues in the charge pipe. It was not fun at all when it had an issue. I was under the car or under the hood once a week. As far as wrapping the hot side pipes, I barely noticed a difference, maybe 200 rpm quicker spool if that. I can tell you that there was nothing fun about rewrapping the hot pipes every few months.
In hindsight, a blower would have been much more enjoyable and trouble free, but you live and you learn.
Understood... Thanks so much for telling me your experience with STS! Heck Im looking forward to making sure none of those issues happen (again).
Old 09-07-2022, 03:32 PM   #38
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Understood... Thanks so much for telling me your experience with STS! Heck Im looking forward to making sure none of those issues happen (again).
Yes sir, it is definitely a niche novelty. Only ever heard of a handful of people that had long term trouble free success. They were all full custom set ups (fabricated from scratch). Post up a dyno if you can get it tuned, would be nice to see a gen6 v6 that puts down good torque, hehe.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:57 PM   #39
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Yes sir, it is definitely a niche novelty. Only ever heard of a handful of people that had long term trouble free success. They were all full custom set ups (fabricated from scratch). Post up a dyno if you can get it tuned, would be nice to see a gen6 v6 that puts down good torque, hehe.
Amen... I have a strange feeling that the transmission and torque converter are the real limiting factors in these cars. I absolutely HATE first gear, but with the 3.27 rear from the 4 cylinder it helped tremendously. I found a guy at Pecina Modular Racing that says he can tune the car using HPT. I wanted Overkill to do it, but he is rarely available. The transmission module has to be sent off to be unlocked first and it costs an extra $200 for ccredits.overall. Overall I have at least another month worth of work before it can be completed.

Last edited by BOYD3800SII; 12-29-2022 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-28-2022, 02:20 PM   #40
BOYD3800SII

Its been a while but I have not forgotten about this post. I finally found a 2.5" air to water intercooler that I could easily fit in the engine bay with little modifications. Its held by two brackets that I welded together. I relocated the radiator upper hoses as well as the bypass hose and the PCV hoses to give the intercooler room to fit.
The intake on temporarily for mock up purposes. It is comprised of two 3 inch aluminum intake pieces (one BOV mount and one MAF mount) and large silicone connectors. The BOV is connected by an old radiator hose which is attached to the bung. I plan on using 3 aluminum parts with hose clamps and shortened silicone hose instead of all the large silicone parts. In my past experience those cheap 90 degree silicone connectors have a bad habit of collapsing and expanding ALOT when you go from boost to vacuum.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2022, 02:33 PM   #41
BOYD3800SII

Since this is a remote style system I wanted the shortest path to the intake for the charge pipe and intercooling so I went with A2W. HOWEVER... the bone stock OEM front mount intercooler for the 2.0 turbo Camaro would have also been a perfect solution to this project since it mounts between the radiator and condenser. It receives secondary air after the condenser but its also supported by the puller fan behind the radiator. They go for around $125 new. There are two aftermarket brands on the market offered by Mishimoto ($450)and REV9 ($350) which both claim to support between 450 - 600HP. There would be no major modifications to the vehicle since they are direct fit. Plenty of PROS and CONS of both types.
Old 01-02-2023, 09:34 PM   #42
Matt1LE

Drives: 2020 3LT Camaro 3.6L 1LE
Back in the 1990's, didn't someone make a rear turbo kit for the Gen 3 and 4 Camaros/Tran Ams? Would it be easier to modify that kit, if it still exists? Just wondering.
Matt1LE is offline   Reply With Quote