Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-09-2018, 10:32 PM   #15
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
Yeah it's funny because STS as a company went belly up not too long ago and I wonder how/ why Holley got suckered into buying them?
I still find it hard to believe that anybody would pay an upward of $7K for their kits which can be made on the cheap for less than 1/2 the cost. Now for that much money I would sooner have a front mount kit.
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #16
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYD3800SII View Post
Yeah it's funny because STS as a company went belly up not too long ago and I wonder how/ why Holley got suckered into buying them?
I still find it hard to believe that anybody would pay an upward of $7K for their kits which can be made on the cheap for less than 1/2 the cost. Now for that much money I would sooner have a front mount kit.
7k isnt really cheap for a full turbo kit. Look at quality kits like greddy, a short piped kit for the ft86 runs about 4500$ that's a kit thats not running a full exhaust worth of piping and oil lines to the opposite end of the car. Also thats a single turbo kit http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/gred...l#.W22Uh_EpB-E

If you have the know how to diy it...its always gonna be cheaper. You piece together and do the footwork and labor yourself.

BUT...most dont bpther to think about that diy guy where this os his first big project outside of bolt ons they are gon a tackle. Thays where the vets have to calm the boasting a bit. Companies make products so that ANYONE can onstall yhem amd not have to piece them together or seek parts.

Remember, large rubbermaid storage containers, come woth stickers of a baby and a "do not" sign over the baby. Cause someone undoubtedly tried to store their kid in one. Now in the idea of completeness, we have to have that sticker covering that. Cause if not, someone will do it and sue.

Completeness with anything now is the name of the game. Unless youre into the hobby of r/c, there are more rtr cars than kits these days. A decade ago...it was the opposite. Get the kit, the radio, reciever, batt charger, individual matched cells and build your own battery packs. Bit now it all comes together in one box.

Thats how turbo kits are.

But any time you are gonna add 100whp via boost to a car, if its not 6300-7k, id immediately question the quality. Unless you go the nitrous route. Supercharger or turbo, a quality one, will always be around that range as most come with tuning.

Fact still remains, people wanna go fast, but very few will pay for a quality all put together kit.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 08-10-2018 at 09:07 AM.
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #17
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
7k isnt really cheap for a full turbo kit. Look at quality kits like greddy, a short piped kit for the ft86 runs about 4500$ that's a kit thats not running a full exhaust worth of piping and oil lines to the opposite end of the car. Also thats a single turbo kit http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/gred...l#.W22Uh_EpB-E

If you have the know how to diy it...its always gonna be cheaper. You piece together and do the footwork and labor yourself.

BUT...most dont bpther to think about that diy guy where this os his first big project outside of bolt ons they are gon a tackle. Thays where the vets have to calm the boasting a bit. Companies make products so that ANYONE can onstall yhem amd not have to piece them together or seek parts.

Remember, large rubbermaid storage containers, come woth stickers of a baby and a "do not" sign over the baby. Cause someone undoubtedly tried to store their kid in one. Now in the idea of completeness, we have to have that sticker covering that. Cause if not, someone will do it and sue.

Completeness with anything now is the name of the game. Unless youre into the hobby of r/c, there are more rtr cars than kits these days. A decade ago...it was the opposite. Get the kit, the radio, reciever, batt charger, individual matched cells and build your own battery packs. Bit now it all comes together in one box.

Thats how turbo kits are.

But any time you are gonna add 100whp via boost to a car, if its not 6300-7k, id immediately question the quality. Unless you go the nitrous route. Supercharger or turbo, a quality one, will always be around that range as most come with tuning.

Fact still remains, people wanna go fast, but very few will pay for a quality all put together kit.
Yes, your point is very valid! I guess if you have the money then spend it. My argument against the STS kits was that they were just overpriced for what they were and how they are made. At the most I could see paying for them was $4500 but hell its nothing but stainless steel piping, hardware, and an oil pump, and intercoolers were optional! The more research I did the more I found out that DIY would be better. The other thing that you have to SERIOUSLY consider is if you daily drive your vehicle is rain and inclement weather will give you grief in any rear turbo configuration. In essence it would suck putting a $1000 turbo and $400 WG under the car just to see how bad they rust!
Old 08-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #18
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
That is why they went belly up. 99% of their kits were on cars and trucks that the turbo could fit in the engine bay and have a much cheaper, cleaner, and more efficient turbo setup. The remote kit on most cars is a novelty.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #19
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
That is why they went belly up. 99% of their kits were on cars and trucks that the turbo could fit in the engine bay and have a much cheaper, cleaner, and more efficient turbo setup. The remote kit on most cars is a novelty.
Yes this too is also somewhat true! The kits should probably been sold for "off road use "only due to the disadvantages. Still they could have sold tons more kits if they priced them accordingly. And yes eventually I went front mount on mine but only after I had another car to daily drive first.
But I would like to see if I could make a reliable kit for myself
using stainless parts, V-bands, and Tig welding. just for the heck of it. After looking at mounting the turbo behind the differential it wont be noticeable at all. Also I would not use a remote mount without a muffler because from experience they are just too loud. might just build it then turn around and sell it since I cant really do alot with my car since it still is under warranty
Old 08-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #20
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
I am just enjoying this refreshing conversation in the v6 thread thanks boyd! I have no input at this time as my knowledge here is lacking a bit on the rear mount turbo idea.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #21
Rlhay2

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Don't know if it is helpful but WeaponX is putting a rather large single turbo on the rear of their ZL1.
Rlhay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #22
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlhay2 View Post
Don't know if it is helpful but WeaponX is putting a rather large single turbo on the rear of their ZL1.
I have not see that but I "assume" the only real reason to add a turbo to a ZL1 would be for compound or twincharging it. if they keep the supercharger then that can make tons of low end torque!
Old 08-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #23
BOYD3800SII

YEP...IT IS.... but heck that's a race car. Parachute on the back lol!

https://youtu.be/jS6-YoqjrUU
Old 08-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #24
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Yes, your point is very valid! I guess if you have the money then spend it. My argument against the STS kits was that they were just overpriced for what they were and how they are made. At the most I could see paying for them was $4500 but hell its nothing but stainless steel piping, hardware, and an oil pump, and intercoolers were optional! The more research I did the more I found out that DIY would be better. The other thing that you have to SERIOUSLY consider is if you daily drive your vehicle is rain and inclement weather will give you grief in any rear turbo configuration. In essence it would suck putting a $1000 turbo and $400 WG under the car just to see how bad they rust!
bingo... even if everything was ceramic and stainless, its still gonna occur at some point do to the metallurgy and heat levels.

see you have a background in boost. I've dabbled in it and learned through others around me with boosted cars, that DIY unless its a full S/C kit, can be beneficial. but without bead rollers for pipes, tig welding (or a mig with skills) and mostly the necessary tools (that level just past basic hand tools, more fabrication tools) its easier for some to buy the full measured out, pre-cut, pre rolled, just plug and play style kit is the ticket.

mind you, if this LGX platform was a popular as an old school civic or prelude... or (some may cringe, but I still love it!) 4.0L mustang with 210HP--2005-2010 v6 where they had that X-Charger it was an engine, many had, easy to find parts for, and there was a cult following to where you can have boost kits for low prices. turbo or S/C.

right now, cats like Dustya, and a few others are the PIONEERS in boost on this platform.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #25
OneWheelPeel

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS V6 Convertible
I remember you from the Dodge forums.
Just got my Camaro, and on that V6 the exhaust port on the head almost looks like a turbo flange, and there is some decent room. So maybe a more traditional set up may be better on this model wth a short adapter flange?
I still don’t know what the tuning options are for the 2018s so that is a big ?? for me.
OneWheelPeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #26
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWheelPeel View Post
I remember you from the Dodge forums.
Just got my Camaro, and on that V6 the exhaust port on the head almost looks like a turbo flange, and there is some decent room. So maybe a more traditional set up may be better on this model wth a short adapter flange?
I still don’t know what the tuning options are for the 2018s so that is a big ?? for me.
The exhaust manifold is built into the head and the exhaust system is simply a downpipe to the cats. a traditional twin or single WOULD be easy to make if you get a custom flange made for each side. the alternative is to simply hack up the stock exhaust and weld v banxx and mandrel bends on them for the turbos. that is not really an option for me but I would love to get ahold of a salvaged stock V6 exhaust system to play with... it would make these projects so much easier!
Old 08-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #27
BOYD3800SII

Speaking of that exhaust flange... it is part of the catalytic converter exhaust assembly. I think that there is an aftermarket exhaust company that already makes this assembly and I might be able to get it from them

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...erter-23463694
Old 09-06-2022, 11:30 AM   #28
BOYD3800SII

Ok so this thread is 4 years old, but I just got around to planning what to do with the Camaro. Only has 44,000 miles on it, and I already have another car (sneak peek in one of the pics). So, I decided to begin putting together the rear mount turbo. I "think" I am the only person with an RS V6 that has tried this. Of course the V8 guys have done it before.
Attached Images

Last edited by BOYD3800SII; 09-13-2022 at 08:17 AM.