#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-28-2023, 06:31 PM   #785
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
These fools want fully electric tanks too.
CO2 emissions on the battlefield, I can see that as a problem.
Old 07-01-2023, 12:46 AM   #786
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
In news this week:
Lordstown Motors, EV truck company (in the former Cavalier/Sunbird/Sunfire/Cobalt/G5/Cruze plant), filed for bankruptcy. Died suddenly.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 10:12 AM   #787
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
In news this week:
Lordstown Motors, EV truck company (in the former Cavalier/Sunbird/Sunfire/Cobalt/G5/Cruze plant), filed for bankruptcy. Died suddenly.
It’s sort of the natural order of things. My consulting team is tracking more than 90 companies that are trying to come to market with EVs. Clearly not all of them are going to make it. To be honest, Lordstown had a better chance than most. They had a good design. They had auto industry pros in key positions. They had a plant. They had big money behind them. They had vehicles in customers’ hands. The problem they didn’t count on was a very public disagreement with their key source of funding.

There’s another situation unfolding now where Company A was about to stake out a good position in the industry with a ready for market product. They had a plant, a product, customers lined up. Their leadership did something really stupid (spelled “illegal”) and had to resign, and shortly after the company crumbled. Company B swooped in and acquired all of Company A’s assets for pennies on the dollar, including the plant and an inventory of finished EV vans. Company B also acquired controlling interest in another EV maker, Company C. So now the new company, we’ll call it ABC since it has parts of all three, has a full vehicle portfolio and a plant to build them in. I can see the same thing happening with Lordstown. There are a number of other companies who have the resources to acquire Lordstown’s assets (and people) and push forward with a stronger company. This happened a lot from the 1920s through the 1950s. New brands popped up seemingly every other week and were either strangled by the competition, got acquired by stronger players, and in some cases survived and thrived. So, rinse repeat, but 100 years later.

Jeep is one of the strongest brand names on the planet. You have to go back to Nash Motors, Willy’s, and American Motors (all just memories) to get to where they are today.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 12:20 AM   #788
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Spent most of Sunday at an SCCA Autocross event. I didn’t take the Camaro. I took my MR2. It was a pretty tight course layout. My first time autocrossing the MR2. I ran pretty consistently at 46-48 seconds. There were several 6th gen Camaros and a couple built 4th gens. One of the organizers had a built 4th gen that ran pretty consistently in the 39s. There were a lot of Miatas running a broad range from 42 to above 50s, so time-wise I was right in the middle of the pack of Miatas. .

The really fast cars of all types (911 Carreras, Z4, M2, Shelby GT350, a healthy grouping of C5, C6, and C7 Corvettes, a few WRXs) were running 39-43s.

There was also a Tesla Model Y and a Polestar. The Tesla ran consistent 40s laps. The Polestar 41s. Right in the middle of the fastest cars running the circuit. So much for EVs can’t handle.

https://youtu.be/c0VPP_NgQ_I
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 07-03-2023 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Added video link
Old 07-03-2023, 06:47 AM   #789
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
There was also a Tesla Model Y and a Polestar. The Tesla ran consistent 40s laps. The Polestar 41s. Right in the middle of the fastest cars running the circuit. So much for EVs can’t handle.
Again, I'm not sure who is disputing that EVs can be fast. I think many just believe they make for a boring experience both for the driver and spectator, in reference to racing of course.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 07:18 AM   #790
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Again, I'm not sure who is disputing that EVs can be fast. I think many just believe they make for a boring experience both for the driver and spectator, in reference to racing of course.
It’ll take a LONG time to get use to EV’s at a race track. I guess it might not be an issue if you’ve never been to a track and experienced the sound that, for most of us, is a huge part of said experience. Either way, will be a sad day.
Old 07-03-2023, 08:05 AM   #791
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Spent most of Saturday at an SCCA Autocross event. I didn’t take the Camaro. I took my MR2. It was a pretty tight course layout. My first time autocrossing the MR2. I ran pretty consistently at 46-48 seconds. There were several 6th gen Camaros and a couple built 4th gens. One of the organizers had a built 4th gen that ran pretty consistently in the 39s. There were a lot of Miatas running a broad range from 42 to above 50s, so time-wise I was right in the middle of the pack of Miatas. .

The really fast cars of all types (911 Carreras, Z4, M2, Shelby GT350, a healthy grouping of C5, C6, and C7 Corvettes, a few WRXs) were running 39-43s.

Masturbation and intercourse also yield the same outcome (usually) doesn’t mean one is as good as the other.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 08:17 AM   #792

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Did the Teslas use Auto-Pilot to run the course?...Perhaps their time might improve once they let the car do the driving....or even better when it can do it without the owner even being in the car....The owner could stand around and be on his smart-phone while his car is on the track. Now that would be real EV performance!
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 08:45 AM   #793
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Right. What people have been saying is that they are only straight line fast and can’t handle well. I’ve always said that with the low center of gravity from the weight of the battery chassis tuners have a headstart on building a vehicle that stays planted in curves and maneuvers.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:14 AM   #794

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I ran some early EVs in the 60's at the track...(I had a Green Asp shown in the video...lol)

All a matter of scale with EVs...

https://youtu.be/zFQWsUABpPk

90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 09:51 AM   #795
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Video or it didn’t happen. I updated my earlier post to include video of one of the Model Y’s run. The Mitsubishi EVO that finished just before the Model Y started finished with a 45s run.

Adding the video here too. https://youtu.be/c0VPP_NgQ_I

Old 07-03-2023, 09:55 AM   #796
Blue 13
3P171 USAF Combat Arms

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
Pretty accurate.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2023, 10:43 AM   #797
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

I think it's a stretch to push EVs as replacements for 'people hauling' cars, like an Accord for example, but at least it's arguable.

Pushing EVs as a replacement for sports cars is ludicrous.
Old 07-03-2023, 05:56 PM   #798
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

https://www.spiked-online.com/2023/0...ossal-mistake/