Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 03-09-2023, 09:53 AM   #1
Banshee.2SS

Drives: 2017 Nightfall Grey 2SS 6 Speed
How to restore Carbon Fiber?

I am looking for a DIY solution to restore the look of my Borla carbon exhaust tips. As you can see in the photos I attached it looks like the clear coat is peeling? This sticks out like a sore thumb. I have contacted Borla and they quoted me about $1200 for 4 replacement carbon tips, and the tool kit to install them. I Know Borla has their million mile warranty, but unfortunately I was not the original buyer of the exhaust, and I am understanding of this. It came on the car when I bought it a couple of years ago. I would like to bring back that glossy carbon fiber look if possible. Anyone who has the carbon Borla tips, do you know if the tool kit is necessary to remove the tips? I would just like to try a DIY method before I go buy new tips.. I love how they look, and the exhaust tone, so if it comes down to it I may have to. Any advice will be appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by Banshee.2SS; 03-10-2023 at 01:39 PM.
Banshee.2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:31 AM   #2
JoeTX

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE
i have no experience in fixing stuff like that, but i Googled "how to repair carbon fiber exhaust" and a lot of results came out.

Try bike forums, i'm sure they've run through issues like this before.

JoeTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:19 AM   #3
22SS1LE

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE 6M
looks like it needs a new clearcoat spray
8/24. IT HAS ARRIVED at the dealer
8/25- It is in the Garage
ACS ZL1 Sideskirts, 20% tint, CAI Intake
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:38 PM   #4
Banshee.2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTX View Post
i have no experience in fixing stuff like that, but i Googled "how to repair carbon fiber exhaust" and a lot of results came out.

Try bike forums, i'm sure they've run through issues like this before.
Bike forums were very helpful..

Last edited by Banshee.2SS; 03-30-2023 at 06:39 PM. Reason: took url out
Old 03-30-2023, 07:03 PM   #5
Banshee.2SS

Spray Max 2k Clear works wonders.. First I sanded the clear coat down as far as possible with 400, and 600 grit sandpaper I stopped sanding when the Borla logo started to come off on a couple of them. Then after cleaning, I sprayed 6 coats of the 2K clear (yes 6) on each exhaust tip (This stuff is toxic a respirator is needed). The can is a one time use once you activate the hardener so I used the whole can. Let the paint dry for 3-4 days to get nice and hard. (first 2 pictures are when the paint was fresh) After drying, I wet sanded the paint with 2000, followed by 3000 grit to smooth out the orange peel. Next I went over it with a cutting compound with a DA buffer, Followed by a polish afterwords. I then cleaned them with iso-alcohol, and applied some ceramic coat that I had waiting to be used up. Put them back on the car in the exact same order they came off, and I am very happy with the results being DIY in the garage. You can still see the cracking under the clear coat on the one if you look very closely but I think it adds character HAHA.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2023, 08:14 PM   #6
Jus Cruisin
Old Gearhead

Drives: 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee.2SS View Post
Spray Max 2k Clear works wonders.. First I sanded the clear coat down as far as possible with 400, and 600 grit sandpaper I stopped sanding when the Borla logo started to come off on a couple of them. Then after cleaning, I sprayed 6 coats of the 2K clear (yes 6) on each exhaust tip (This stuff is toxic a respirator is needed). The can is a one time use once you activate the hardener so I used the whole can. Let the paint dry for 3-4 days to get nice and hard. (first 2 pictures are when the paint was fresh) After drying, I wet sanded the paint with 2000, followed by 3000 grit to smooth out the orange peel. Next I went over it with a cutting compound with a DA buffer, Followed by a polish afterwords. I then cleaned them with iso-alcohol, and applied some ceramic coat that I had waiting to be used up. Put them back on the car in the exact same order they came off, and I am very happy with the results being DIY in the garage. You can still see the cracking under the clear coat on the one if you look very closely but I think it adds character HAHA.
Great results.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:00 PM   #7
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin View Post
Great results.
Agreed! Looks much better!
Old 03-31-2023, 08:45 AM   #8
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
is that carbon fiber, or plastic? I ask because I used some one else's "carbon fiber" tips and I'd swear that its just a plastic piece over some stainless. I agree with the light sanding and a clear coat but if I missed it, needs to be a high temp clear.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borla carbon tips, clear coat, detailing, paint correction, restoration