Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 01-12-2023, 05:17 AM   #15
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Thanks for that input! I'll look into the Amsoil as well.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:30 PM   #16
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I seem to recall that you purchased Tremec's fluid at least once before, but I can't remember what your feedback was on it's performance. Perhaps you can share now?

I ask because Tremec's fluid is considerably higher viscosity than the OEM, isn't it? Which would potentially provide higher protection on the track, but also more clunkiness on daily drives upon start up and 1st mile or so of driving (especially in cold weather)?

Please forgive me if you've shared this previously.

I have been running it for nearly 3 years now. DD (low miles) in Florida and LOTS of AutoX and Track time.

Rarely gets below 40F here, so I can't really comment on how it behaves in low temp environments. The fluid gets changed twice a year and shifts well and makes no abnormal noises.

I can tell you that I believe in it and TREMEC enough that I am switching the fluid in the Blackwing to the HP-MTF when I hit 1,500 miles.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 09:45 PM   #17
mano_camaro
IYAOYAS

Drives: 22 1LE 2SS M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I ask because Tremec's fluid is considerably higher viscosity than the OEM, isn't it? Which would potentially provide higher protection on the track, but also more clunkiness on daily drives upon start up and 1st mile or so of driving (especially in cold weather)?
during winter i experience temps around 20's & 30's and your assessment is correct. when is cold, the Tremec fluid makes it clunky, however on warm days 60 deg + it is very smooth.

I mostly have to start from 1st and go straight to third gear skipping the 2nd gear on the first few minutes of driving, even third gets clunky a lot of times.

2020 Red Hot Camaro 2SS 1LE/PDR /Sold

2018 black Camaro 2SS M6 Redline Edition/Traded

2016 summit white Camaro RS V6 M6/Traded
mano_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 12:16 AM   #18
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mano_camaro View Post
during winter i experience temps around 20's & 30's and your assessment is correct. when is cold, the Tremec fluid makes it clunky, however on warm days 60 deg + it is very smooth.

I mostly have to start from 1st and go straight to third gear skipping the 2nd gear on the first few minutes of driving, even third gets clunky a lot of times.
Thanks for the useful info about the Tremec fluid. Not living in a "warm all the time" climate, I think I'd be frustrated with the clunky shifting when the fluid's cold. Thus, will plan to stick to the OEM.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:28 PM   #19
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Soooo, is 88861800 correct for the m6?
havelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 01:37 PM   #20
haggler

Drives: '23 2SS RSblue 6MT, sold '19 ND2
I wanted to share this article I found:
https://txdrivetrain.com/fluid-type-...56-tr6060-faq/
I have no experience with them but it seems like they rebuild these transmissions. Basically they state to use non-synthetic fluid in these, which the OEM part is (dexIII) and products like Valvoline Dex/Merc which is DexIII equivalent.

5-6-22:1100,
7-19-22: 3000,
8-3-22: TPW 8/15/22,
10-4-22: ETA 10/13/2022
10-15-22 6000
haggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 05:27 PM   #21
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggler View Post
I wanted to share this article I found:
https://txdrivetrain.com/fluid-type-...56-tr6060-faq/
I have no experience with them but it seems like they rebuild these transmissions. Basically they state to use non-synthetic fluid in these, which the OEM part is (dexIII) and products like Valvoline Dex/Merc which is DexIII equivalent.
Thanks for providing this. They don't provide any data to back up their position, but they at least have a theory and presumably some experience over the years that might support the theory.

Since both their theory and GM call for using OEM or non-synthetic ATF, that's what I'll do. Not sure if the syncros will indeed be more short lived with synthetic ATF, but why take the chance if you intend to own your SS for several years.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:41 PM   #22
lucabelga

Drives: Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Based on the Data Sheet provided by Tremec:

Applications:

Recommended for motor vehicles with manual gearboxes that require GL4 75W85 MTF, synchromesh, or DEXRON®-III/MERCON® fluids.

Not recommended for automatic transmissions or hypoid gear differentials.

In this way, it is natural to GM to apply Dex III ATF fluid from the factory, but can't see no harm in using, for example, Amsoil fluid as it complies with the Viscosity and API Specs

lucabelga is offline   Reply With Quote