Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-14-2022, 02:13 PM   #309
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
On track... this is a '16 GT4. His overall laptime is achievable in a SS 1LE though.

Old 10-14-2022, 02:43 PM   #310
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I will never go the ZLE route. With the exception of the things I already mentioned, the GT4 is a better overall experience.

The mid-engine rotation, the light weight & low center of gravity feel with direct feedback, the PDK banging off up and downshifts at lightning speed, the flat 6 singing up to its 8K redline (a Kline exhaust system is coming in a few weeks), the interior quality and feel of being in something premium, etc, etc, etc. It all adds up.

The GT4 is flawed in 2 main areas... strut rear suspension and PASM dampers that just do not come close to MRC's range.

After experiencing the mid-engine platform, I do not think I could go back to a front engine layout.

Here is my new lateral G max on my local on ramp near me that I use for testing, this is after the SC3 tire swap and new compression/rebound settings. The most I EVER saw in my SS 1LE was 1.25 and that was only on new tires.

This is what light weight and mid-engine can do for you...
I understand your position but compression under braking is a critical component behind driver confidence. I've seen clips of how skittish the new 4RS is at huge braking zones with undulating on/off camber turns at the Ring as well. That strut rear suspension was a clear handicap.

Key thing here is it took another $18k on top of what you spent for the GT4 to get close to where you are now.

Not everyone has the patience or financial means to do what you did.
Old 10-14-2022, 06:20 PM   #311
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
I understand your position but compression under braking is a critical component behind driver confidence. I've seen clips of how skittish the new 4RS is at huge braking zones with undulating on/off camber turns at the Ring as well. That strut rear suspension was a clear handicap.

Key thing here is it took another $18k on top of what you spent for the GT4 to get close to where you are now.

Not everyone has the patience or financial means to do what you did.
Of course and that is the point I am making as well. In stock form, the GT4 isn't worth its price of entry. It should be much more buttoned down stock.

Unfortunately, you don't really know until you drive something day in and out for a bit to know how well it is. Such is life with high performance cars.

If I didn't have the means to do the mods I did and will do, I would not have kept the GT4 until my turn comes up for the C8 Z06. It makes the most sense to keep it though as the alternative until the C8 Z06 would have been a Macan GTS, which wouldn't hold its value as well as the GT4.

Minus the labor, most of the stuff I have done or will do to my car is all high-end stuff with a strong resale value, so I will be able to recoup ~70% of my costs when it is time to trade the GT4 in.

The GT4 was originally going to be my "forever" car that I drove into the ground, at which point I would be ready to exit the sports car market altogether (almost 50 now), but that is going to be reserved for the C8 Z06 as that will be the more complete car with a better range of being a dual personality car.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 12:55 AM   #312
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Really interesting read. My M6 ZLE to me is pretty much the perfect track car that can be an everyday car depending on the roads and weather in your area. I feel very confident with it on the track and the performance traction options work great. But... I have wondered about the GT4 and mid engine.

I have driven a base (FE1) suspension C8 and it rides like a luxury car in comparison to the ZLE. A Z06 with MRC could be same in street settings. Like the 718 the main difference is, as you would expect, that the C8 is not a muscle car in vibe. The turn in response was noticeably better without the weight on the nose and low center of gravity. The dual-clutch auto is awesome.
Old 04-22-2023, 07:17 PM   #313
Frank645

Drives: None
Hey TRZ06,

Cool GT4, dude. Unfortunately, for a few years now I've watched you drive like a complete asshat in the North Santa Jose / Santa Clara area. In fact, I've never seen anyone break traffic laws with such recklessness no matter how many other people you are endangering. I'm not sure what your problem is, perhaps you're suicidal or just plain mental, but take this as a sign that's it's time to calm down on public roads before you kill someone.
Frank645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 11:49 AM   #314
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:11 AM   #315
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LESS1 View Post
I can understand your skepticism and would add that as someone else previously pointed out it wouldn't be the first time the lowly Vette has been in front of Rennesport cars. Time will tell, and I will be surprised if C8Z fails to surpass GT3RS. And if recent history is an indication of what we can expect... C7Z surpassed C6ZR1 and if C8Z can pull that off then a lot of people will be very happy and GM will build a lot of C8Z cars!
Well spoiler, on the same day, same tires, same test conditions, it was basically the same as the GT3, non RS. The new RS is crazy levels of downforce that is next-level on a course. Even still, the regular GT3 was showing significantly faster speeds in turns, the Z06 was showing faster speeds in straights. Obviously not sucking at turns, but the GT3 was clearly faster there. This is the Savagegeese review/compare that I think was pretty well done. Someone else tested it and found it slightly faster than a RS, but that was a different day and different conditions, not a side-by-side same-driver, etc. It seems that Chevrolet benchmarked the GT3 non-RS and did so very well, ever so slightly edging it out to be faster overall...but a very close match. Go check out the savagegeese video. It's worth watching.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 05:02 AM   #316
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
VIR is my home track. In fact we’re running this weekend. Lightning Lap times have the new GT4 RS slightly faster than the GT3 and 2 seconds slower than the Z06. Unfortunately none of these cars can be had for sticker right now, but in theory the MSRP of the GT4 RS loaded for track duty is about $177K, while the Z06 is around $165K. So roughly $12K more to be 2 seconds slower. If history holds, both should hold their value and have reasonably the same cost of ownership. The GT3 now has a tougher story to sell being slower than the GT4 RS and at least $185K in track spec.
Attached Images

2005 CTS-V SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2010 CTS-V SOLD
2012 CTS-V coupe SOLD
2013 ZL1 vert SOLD
2016 Callaway Z06 SOLD
2019 Z06 SOLD

"I lived my life by one motto.......mottos are for losers" cvp33
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:33 AM   #317
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Well spoiler, on the same day, same tires, same test conditions, it was basically the same as the GT3, non RS. The new RS is crazy levels of downforce that is next-level on a course. Even still, the regular GT3 was showing significantly faster speeds in turns, the Z06 was showing faster speeds in straights. Obviously not sucking at turns, but the GT3 was clearly faster there. This is the Savagegeese review/compare that I think was pretty well done. Someone else tested it and found it slightly faster than a RS, but that was a different day and different conditions, not a side-by-side same-driver, etc. It seems that Chevrolet benchmarked the GT3 non-RS and did so very well, ever so slightly edging it out to be faster overall...but a very close match. Go check out the savagegeese video. It's worth watching.
I watched the video and was honestly surprised it was that close. As mentioned in this thread, z06’s have always been faster than GT3 RS’s. I remember back when motortrend compared the c7 z06 to the viper ACR they brought out a 991 GT3 RS to set a base lap time that then got crushed by the other 2 cars. Looks like Porsche actually wanted to be fast this time around versus just an enjoyable car to track. Makes me wonder if this version of the gt3 RS is less enjoyable to drive as that can sometimes happen when manufacturers chase lap times.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 06:08 PM   #318
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
https://youtu.be/mCQlLa36-0c

Well we finally have same day same driver testing of the c8Z vs 992 gt3 RS. Difference was not as large as I thought it would be given how close the regular gt3 was to the c8Z. Pretty confident the ZR1 can beat the gt3 RS and it will be closer msrp wise to the gt3 RS than the z06 is.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 11:53 AM   #319
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
That M4 is awful ugly

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 01:35 PM   #320
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
That M4 is awful ugly
BMW must be getting their designers from Russia.