#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Phastek Performance

Old 09-12-2021, 10:27 PM   #1
eltonmc1238@me.com

Drives: Chevy camaro
Help with convertible top.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iP4Ym2dZ52CcBByB7

Does anyone know what part number or what’s it called?
eltonmc1238@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:22 AM   #2
eltonmc1238@me.com

Drives: Chevy camaro

The part the the hinge come out
eltonmc1238@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:07 AM   #3
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
If your panel is damaged, take it back to the dealership. There have been some issues with the mechanical pieces on some convertibles that has required replacement.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:11 AM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I'm not sure exactly which part you're referring to, but try this diagram: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/v-2018...gas/body--roof

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:12 AM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I'm not sure exactly which part you're referring to, but try this diagram: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/v-2018...gas/body--roof
Based on the linked pic, it seems the question is about the moving plastic panel that covers the hinge assembly... You know, the one that gets "eaten" on some convertibles...
Old 09-13-2021, 08:27 AM   #6
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
Updated part number for the sliding trim piece

PANEL ASM-QTR
UPR TR (RH)

PANEL ASM-QTR
UPR TR (LH)
Old 09-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #7
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
I was cleaning my Camaro the other day and just slightly leaned on the cover and it popped it out of position. Luckily for me i was able to pop it back into position without causing any issues. Make sure the passengers in the back dont use it to lean on to get in and out.

Keep your hands off!
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #8
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
Updated part number for the sliding trim piece

PANEL ASM-QTR
UPR TR (RH)

PANEL ASM-QTR
UPR TR (LH)
Those upper quarter panel part numbers shown above are the part numbers listed in the original TSB. Both are superseded now. Ask me how I know...

The updated part numbers are:
Upper quarter panel trim (RH) = 84797933 (old # 84397869)
Upper quarter panel trim (LH) = 84797935 (old # 84397871)
Also, if your convertible was built prior to February 14, 2017, you are supposed to also replace the window regulator because the new upper quarter panels have an additional retaining clip. I am in the middle of replacing mine on the LH side, the new panel is supposed to arrive tomorrow. However, I am not replacing the regulator, I will modify as needed to get the updated trim panel to fit. at least that's my plan.

I've attached the original TSB on this issue.

--KLG--
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Convertible top TSB -- 17-NA-357 1..2.pdf (171.6 KB, 183 views)
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:32 AM   #9
EddyC

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLG View Post
I am in the middle of replacing mine on the LH side, the new panel is supposed to arrive tomorrow. However, I am not replacing the regulator, I will modify as needed to get the updated trim panel to fit. at least that's my plan.
--KLG--
How did the replacement go? I'm in a 2016 which decided to eat the passenger side yesterday The whole coil assembly came off, luckily I heard it go and fished it out before operating the roof again, sure it could have done some damage.
EddyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:31 PM   #10
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyC View Post
How did the replacement go? I'm in a 2016 which decided to eat the passenger side yesterday The whole coil assembly came off, luckily I heard it go and fished it out before operating the roof again, sure it could have done some damage.
I ended up replacing the upper quarter trim panels on both sides and no problem with either side.

I carefully removed the third clip and it fit perfectly.

The last few posts within this thread has a few more details and photos:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=531151&page=8

--KLG--
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:27 PM   #11
EddyC

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLG View Post
I ended up replacing the upper quarter trim panels on both sides and no problem with either side.

I carefully removed the third clip and it fit perfectly.

The last few posts within this thread has a few more details and photos:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=531151&page=8

--KLG--
Great thanks a lot! I took it apart today and got excited as just the flap had a part number on it, but looks like you can't get just that bit. I'll order up the side, it's an easy replacement.
EddyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #12
smithb

Drives: 2016 LT
Extremely disappointed in GM and Chevrolet. I had the plastic trim piece eaten by my convertible top (as described in TSB 17-NA-357).

I called Chevrolet to see if they would cover it as my car is out of warranty time-wise (under it mileage wise), but Since it is a known problem necessitating a redesign of the components and $581 in parts ($450 additional parts due to the redesign), plus labor.

They said take it to the chevrolet dealer, so I did, and the dealer said pay us $135 to look at it and we'll contact GM to see if they'll cover it, even though you can clearly see what happened after 10 seconds of looking at it.

I contacted Chevy again and they said I had to pay the dealer whatever they want to have it diagnosed then I could contact Chevy to and they would determine "what, IF ANY, would be covered" (their emphasis added). I also could not take it to an independent shop with reasonable rates.

Ridiculous that I have to wager $135 to see if they will cover any of it, and they won't tell me the conditions under which if they will cover all, some, or none of the repair.

They said I needed to compensate the technician for their time, and I told them I do not want the diagnosis, Chevrolet does, so chevrolet needs to compensate the technician. They had no response to that.

Ironically, at the exact same time I had a landscaping company out giving me an estimate for a retaining wall on my property and they did not charge me a penny for their estimate.

Again, if I took it into the dealership on my own to find out what was wrong, that is one thing, but I can see what is wrong but Chevrolet wants me to take it to the stealership (and get charged $135 for literally 10 seconds worth of work) for their own benefit.
smithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:11 PM   #13
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb View Post
Extremely disappointed in GM and Chevrolet. I had the plastic trim piece eaten by my convertible top (as described in TSB 17-NA-357).

I called Chevrolet to see if they would cover it as my car is out of warranty time-wise (under it mileage wise), but Since it is a known problem necessitating a redesign of the components and $581 in parts ($450 additional parts due to the redesign), plus labor.

They said take it to the chevrolet dealer, so I did, and the dealer said pay us $135 to look at it and we'll contact GM to see if they'll cover it, even though you can clearly see what happened after 10 seconds of looking at it.

I contacted Chevy again and they said I had to pay the dealer whatever they want to have it diagnosed then I could contact Chevy to and they would determine "what, IF ANY, would be covered" (their emphasis added). I also could not take it to an independent shop with reasonable rates.

Ridiculous that I have to wager $135 to see if they will cover any of it, and they won't tell me the conditions under which if they will cover all, some, or none of the repair.

They said I needed to compensate the technician for their time, and I told them I do not want the diagnosis, Chevrolet does, so chevrolet needs to compensate the technician. They had no response to that.

Ironically, at the exact same time I had a landscaping company out giving me an estimate for a retaining wall on my property and they did not charge me a penny for their estimate.

Again, if I took it into the dealership on my own to find out what was wrong, that is one thing, but I can see what is wrong but Chevrolet wants me to take it to the stealership (and get charged $135 for literally 10 seconds worth of work) for their own benefit.
The dealership will also not charge you for an estimate to do the repair.

The charge is a Diagnostics fee because it requires their time to investigate the issue and understand ALL of the necessary pieces that will need to be replaced in order to quote it. And what you are being charged is a one-hour labor rate which is standard across the industry.

You are more than welcome to take it to an independant shop and have THEM give you a repair estimate. But... You're still going to pay a diagnostics fee (unless you want them to just quote full price for a complete removal and replacement) for them to be able to give you the correct repair estimate amount AND you will get zero assistance from GM on the repair cost.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:44 AM   #14
KennyGraySS

Drives: 2016 Convertible Camaro 2SS NPP MRC
Springs?

Hey, having a similar issue with my Camaro. The Flaps don't close anymore. Can the springs just be replaced to fix this?
KennyGraySS is offline   Reply With Quote