Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
bigdrag

Drives: Pontiac GTO
Consistency of Stock ZL1

Been looking at buying a 2018 ZL1 for a couple of weeks now. I would like to bracket race the car several times a year at our local track. So I am more interested in how consistent the car is, than making it the fastest possible. I would really like to keep it stock as well.

Anyone have any experience with the best way to launch the ZL1, 10-speed (traction control on\off, tire slippage, etc.)? And consistency between runs? I am hoping variances less than a tenth between runs. Thanks
bigdrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
2018ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 NFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdrag View Post
Been looking at buying a 2018 ZL1 for a couple of weeks now. I would like to bracket race the car several times a year at our local track. So I am more interested in how consistent the car is, than making it the fastest possible. I would really like to keep it stock as well.

Anyone have any experience with the best way to launch the ZL1, 10-speed (traction control on\off, tire slippage, etc.)? And consistency between runs? I am hoping variances less than a tenth between runs. Thanks
I would say you could get the times kinda consistent...if you go rounds and they start hot lapping you thats where you are gonna run into trouble! once these blowers get hot it pulls timing and it goes down pretty good on power! My issue with this car is trying to get my reaction time dialed in! I have only had the car at the track twice but boy is it hard to get a decent reaction time! Nothing like the 1970 chevelle I had prior with a cable going to the carb!! there is a massive delay from the time you hit the loud pedal and it actually going! I was in the .3xx's most of the time and as you know if your reaction times suck you arent going deep into rounds!! Good luck!
2018ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #3
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdrag View Post

Seat time is the secret with the same settings and method.

One night at Atco recently in my stock A10 ZL1.

My runs in order as the car cooled off and the DA improved slightly:
11.669@122.30 1.871 60'
11.649@124.46 1.874 60'
11.654@124.27 1.859 60'
11.653@124.17 1.845 60'

Post # 563
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...450694&page=41

My current run method:
  • Run in track mode
  • All nannies off
  • Go around the water
  • Back up a little to make it easy to spin the tires a little
  • Stage and load the car to about 1,500
  • Ease the first 1/4 of the throttle pedal
  • Punch it and push it through the floor until I see a win light (hopefully in my lane)

Lately after removing this step: "Ease the first 1/4 of the throttle pedal" my 60's are now usually in the 1.7s. But you are more likely to spin at the line. Track prep is key.

But this method is not the fastest way down the 1/4. I was helping someone learn to launch his A10 ZL1 and he beat my ET but I beat his 60' and had a higher MPH. I cant explain that unless I spun going into 2nd or somehow my ZL1 is slower than his. His car just crossed 1,000 miles, mine is at 4K.

Or maybe I need to learn from him.

Hmm the more I think about that if you want to run index then maybe launch control is your best bet. My Z ran pretty consistent 11.9s when I tried that and spinning was never a problem. Electronics always beat the human. Try that out and let us know what happens.

Last edited by Fraxum; 09-20-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
2018ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Seat time is the secret with the same settings and method.

One night at Atco recently in my stock A10 ZL1.

My runs in order as the car cooled off and the DA improved slightly:
11.669@122.30 1.871 60'
11.649@124.46 1.874 60'
11.654@124.27 1.859 60'
11.653@124.17 1.845 60'

Post # 563
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...450694&page=41

My current run method:
  • Run in track mode
  • All nannies off
  • Go around the water
  • Back up a little to make it easy to spin the tires a little
  • Stage and load the car to about 1,500
  • Ease the first 1/4 of the throttle pedal
  • Punch it and push it through the floor until I see a win light (hopefully in my lane)

Lately after removing this step: "Ease the first 1/4 of the throttle pedal" my 60's are now usually in the 1.7s. But you are more likely to spin at the line. Track prep is key.

But this method is not the fastest way down the 1/4. I was helping someone learn to launch his A10 ZL1 and he beat my ET but I beat his 60' and had a higher MPH. I cant explain that unless I spun going into 2nd or somehow my ZL1 is slower than his. His car just crossed 1,000 miles, mine is at 4K.

Or maybe I need to learn from him.

Hmm the more I think about that if you want to run index then maybe launch control is your best bet. My Z ran pretty consistent 11.9s when I tried that and spinning was never a problem. Electronics always beat the human. Try that out and let us know what happens.

How consistent were your reaction times? I am curious to see what people are getting!
Old 09-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018ZL1 View Post
How consistent were your reaction times? I am curious to see what people are getting!
RT has nothing to do with your ET.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
2018ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7WSM View Post
RT has nothing to do with your ET.
I know that... The original discussion was about bracket racing the ZL1... it has a lot to do with that!
Old 09-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #7
Fraxum

Quote:
I know that... The original discussion was about bracket racing the ZL1... it has a lot to do with that!
Agreed.

With the normal 3 bulb if I am trying at the light I am usually at -.0someting to a low .1. Two weeks go I had a .001. I have also had a few -.001s but never a zero. And I did have a -.001 when I destroyed my 5th gen TT 1LE diff. What was funny was they towed me to the slip girl so I could have the slip as a souvenir. LOL

Of course with a Pro light I would suck. Haven't practiced that. For me I love to tree faster cars and get the win light.

I have had maybe too much seat time.

Of course if I think I am running a slower car i will sleep a little. Recently I did that with a stock looking and sounding newer F150. He smoked me with his 800+ HP FI truck Coyote. I never got a rematch, besides having a low 11 truck he could drive too.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:46 PM   #8
2018ZL1

Quote:
Agreed.

With the normal 3 bulb if I am trying at the light I am usually at -.0someting to a low .1. Two weeks go I had a .001. I have also had a few -.001s but never a zero. And I did have a -.001 when I destroyed my 5th gen TT 1LE diff. What was funny was they towed me to the slip girl so I could have the slip as a souvenir. LOL

Of course with a Pro light I would suck. Haven't practiced that. For me I love to tree faster cars and get the win light.

I have had maybe too much seat time.

Of course if I think I am running a slower car i will sleep a little. Recently I did that with a stock looking and sounding newer F150. He smoked me with his 800+ HP FI truck Coyote. I never got a rematch, besides having a low 11 truck he could drive too.
WOW! Thats really good! You could easily be winning some bracket racing trophies with them reaction times! I would be way happy with a .0 anything!!! I am only into this about 9 runs over 2 track days so I just need to keep working at it! I have been reading about those throttle controllers and was considering that.. I think I just need to get to the track a couple more times! Congrats on those reaction times!!!
Old 09-23-2018, 09:18 AM   #9
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Quote:
WOW! Thats really good! You could easily be winning some bracket racing trophies with them reaction times! I would be way happy with a .0 anything!!! I am only into this about 9 runs over 2 track days so I just need to keep working at it! I have been reading about those throttle controllers and was considering that.. I think I just need to get to the track a couple more times! Congrats on those reaction times!!!
Been a while since racing, however I remember the street cars would often deep stage the car! Which is staging till both yellow come on then inching forward till the top bulb goes off! This helps cars without tranny brake get a good light. You should be leaving on the last yellow if not running a pro tree. If your waiting for green never going to work. Good luck
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #10
Fraxum

Quote:
Thanks. Now only if I had one of the fast ZL1s that have run a 10......
Old 09-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #11
2018ZL1

Quote:
Thanks. Now only if I had one of the fast ZL1s that have run a 10......
Thats a tough one!! I think most folks would need a perfect DA and track prep! I am 3 tenths off of a 10 second run but I am not considered stock anymore with the ported TB, CAI and DR's. I am waiting on winter to get here so I can order what Ted Jenetty has quoted me! I will be in the 10's next year most def! I am thinking about joining that track rental at Cecil if there is any spots left. Should be some good DA at that time of the year! You planning on being there??
Old 09-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #12
Fraxum

Quote:
Thats a tough one!! I think most folks would need a perfect DA and track prep! I am 3 tenths off of a 10 second run but I am not considered stock anymore with the ported TB, CAI and DR's. I am waiting on winter to get here so I can order what Ted Jenetty has quoted me! I will be in the 10's next year most def! I am thinking about joining that track rental at Cecil if there is any spots left. Should be some good DA at that time of the year! You planning on being there??
Yes I am in. Getting some tires for the event. If you put your name in some will drop out.

What are you getting from Ted? His ZL1 package? He is great to work with. He worked on my 5th gen TT 1LE straightening out a crappy build from another shop and he did my '16 SS boltons.

I hope to hold out on a tune. I'd like to run a 75 mm ported TB and a ported SC tuneless if possible. I am not going LTs this time or spinning my SC any faster. If I go big it will be Paxton and port injection. But I doubt I will ever do that. If I can just squeeze into the 10s once in a while I think I will be good. I am 4 tenths away stock and I'd like to try some Atco mineshaft air. An 11.2 seems possible, but then I have one of the slower ZL1s so far.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:32 AM   #13
2018ZL1

Quote:
Yes I am in. Getting some tires for the event. If you put your name in some will drop out.

What are you getting from Ted? His ZL1 package? He is great to work with. He worked on my 5th gen TT 1LE straightening out a crappy build from another shop and he did my '16 SS boltons.

I hope to hold out on a tune. I'd like to run a 75 mm ported TB and a ported SC tuneless if possible. I am not going LTs this time or spinning my SC any faster. If I go big it will be Paxton and port injection. But I doubt I will ever do that. If I can just squeeze into the 10s once in a while I think I will be good. I am 4 tenths away stock and I'd like to try some Atco mineshaft air. An 11.2 seems possible, but then I have one of the slower ZL1s so far.
I think I will do that! Thats Thanksgiving weekend I do believe... what better way to give thanks then to go drag racing!!

I read some good things about Ted and he was very responsive which is amazing these days! I am doing the American racing long system (Catless) and matching that up with the stock suit case, we will see how that goes! I dont mind loud because it only gets driven on the weekend in nice weather. Plus a larger crank pulley and a tune. Ted said it would be about 650 at the wheels. I may have him do a tune for some race gas if he thinks it could get more HP.

Thats cool... I came from a 1970 chevelle with a NA small block so this is all new territory for me! Its most def different than changing jets!!! I think after I get tired of what Ted is going to do I would be looking at either a Maggy or a Whipple, amazing the amount of power these things are creating! I wouldnt exactly call your ZL1 slow! faster than most anything from the factory!
Old 09-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #14
Fraxum

Quote:
I think I will do that! Thats Thanksgiving weekend I do believe... what better way to give thanks then to go drag racing!!

I read some good things about Ted and he was very responsive which is amazing these days! I am doing the American racing long system (Catless) and matching that up with the stock suit case, we will see how that goes! I dont mind loud because it only gets driven on the weekend in nice weather. Plus a larger crank pulley and a tune. Ted said it would be about 650 at the wheels. I may have him do a tune for some race gas if he thinks it could get more HP.

Thats cool... I came from a 1970 chevelle with a NA small block so this is all new territory for me! Its most def different than changing jets!!! I think after I get tired of what Ted is going to do I would be looking at either a Maggy or a Whipple, amazing the amount of power these things are creating! I wouldnt exactly call your ZL1 slow! faster than most anything from the factory!
Ted put the very high quality ARH long system on my '16 SS with the ARH cats and Chevy suitcase. Yes it will be loud but no drone on any setting when cruising. I ran in full time Stealth mode on the street. Opened it up at Atco. They liked the noise there. I guess I wasn't a fan so no LTs for me this time for 15 rwhp. But maybe more on the ZL1. But I am thinking of a 3" Borla Stype removing the rear cats to try and get heat out of the motor faster. Can't hurt I guess and and I like the sound.

The Maggie and Whipple will really open up your HP options.