Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #29
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Guess I know what I'm buying myself for Christmas.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #30
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
better do it pre-Christmas so you can have it all dialed in for Christmas.

I have decided to go with EFI Tuning, they have helped me gratis for a while. Their stuff looks to be working, tested, quality and supported.

I have LT headers, off road, ported TB, MSD intake, soon E85, HP Tuner, wideband, modified stock box with green filter.

This summer I'll probably do Edelbrock heads and mild cam (sub .600 lift).

I've done EMail tunes also, so I know what to expect, I also know that a properly supported EMail tune is FAR FAR better than a 2 hour dyno session. Plus it was fun actually witnessing how different the same car behaves with changes of tune.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #31
EFI Tuning

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Oldman,

Thank you for your support!

Tim
EFI Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #32
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post

I have decided to go with EFI Tuning, they have helped me gratis for a while. Their stuff looks to be working, tested, quality and supported.

I have LT headers, off road, ported TB, MSD intake, soon E85, HP Tuner, wideband, modified stock box with green filter.

I've done EMail tunes also, so I know what to expect, I also know that a properly supported EMail tune is FAR FAR better than a 2 hour dyno session. Plus it was fun actually witnessing how different the same car behaves with changes of tune.
Maybe it will be my first Black Friday purchase Tim @ EFI has really shown his worth around here.

Email tunes are great but not an option for me. I want full control of my ECU. Not a big deal though, I've tuned quite a few cars.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #33
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
I will also be developing a head porting program so stay tuned. They will be much cheaper than any aftermarket options. I have always been able to keep up power wise with the aftermarket in the past so I have no doubt I will be able to in the case of LT1 heads.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #34
EFI Tuning

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Maybe it will be my first Black Friday purchase Tim @ EFI has really shown his worth around here.

Email tunes are great but not an option for me. I want full control of my ECU. Not a big deal though, I've tuned quite a few cars.
Understood. I'm inquiring with HPT to see if they can add an ability to the software that would help the guys wanting some ability to change things on their own without compromising the areas the tuner needs to protect.

Thank you,
Tim
EFI Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:07 PM   #35
vince3

Drives: Hyper Blue 16' M6 1ss
Quote:

I will pay you if you help me with my tune. My car will have similar mods (2" headers, MSD Intake, CAI and E85 kit) and i could drive to Austin when you are available
vince3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #36
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Drives: 1Lap1LE | EV6 FE | 18 F150
This is some great info.

I'm hoping someone in the near future does a Stock/Stock ported/MSD/MSD ported comparison as well (and maybe a couple of TBs added in? who knows.

Thanks!
'22 Kia EV6 First Edition
'18 RS3 (1 of 2) Cumulus Blue
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
RideZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:24 PM   #37
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
gut feeling the ported LT1 would offer more power under the curve. The MSD is really for heads and cam or even storker (not me).
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #38
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
gut feeling the ported LT1 would offer more power under the curve. The MSD is really for heads and cam or even storker (not me).
I agree. It would really help with a larger cam revving 7000+. Some people are also porting the msd for another 7-8 hp supposedly.

I'll stay with a stocker possibly ported until I do a cam down the road.

Edelbrock has heads? The gm kit looks right up your alley. The hot cam is like .577 lift and matched to the worked over stock heads and shows a 80 hp gain over a stock lt1 at 535 hp. With longtubes and e85 you be near 600 IMO

With the power these engines are making a mild cam is looking better and better. Reliablity over another 20 peak hp and likely a loss of low and midrange
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #39
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Drives: 1Lap1LE | EV6 FE | 18 F150
Well I plan on a cam, stock (non-ported) heads, and eventually a blower. So we'll see
'22 Kia EV6 First Edition
'18 RS3 (1 of 2) Cumulus Blue
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
RideZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #40
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
If someone wants to send me a MSD and pay for the porting I will do back to back dyno testing. I guess I would have to have two MSD's to make it a real back to back to back with out taking the car off the dyno. The comparison would be against my ported LT1 stuff. You would obviously get your ported MSD back.

MSD is the way to go if your are M6 or doing a converter for a tuned cam car or H/C package. I guess a centri car would benefit as well. As long as you extend the rpm curve the MSD wins. I don't see it being worth it at all if you are not extending the rpm and don't have the ability get more rpm out of the hole. I will even track test the two if anyone is interested in that info. Same day, same track. The shift rpm will be set to 6,500 and I will adjust AFR off the wide band to ensure consistent fueling. If I have time I could also return the shift points to stock to see what happens as well.

To me, there is no point in doing a cam if you are not doing heads. The heads have to come off anyway. Unless you do a really small AFM cam. I am sure guys are coming up with good AFM grinds by now.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #41
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
Oldman,

Thank you for your support!

Tim
Tim,

I have the IM and TB, but what is the cost if I just want to get the IM ported? Not seeing the price change at all. Is it $575 hands down regardless if the core is provided?
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #42
vince3

Drives: Hyper Blue 16' M6 1ss
I will do the ported MSD if someone will give you a stock one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
If someone wants to send me a MSD and pay for the porting I will do back to back dyno testing. I guess I would have to have two MSD's to make it a real back to back to back with out taking the car off the dyno. The comparison would be against my ported LT1 stuff. You would obviously get your ported MSD back.

MSD is the way to go if your are M6 or doing a converter for a tuned cam car or H/C package. I guess a centri car would benefit as well. As long as you extend the rpm curve the MSD wins. I don't see it being worth it at all if you are not extending the rpm and don't have the ability get more rpm out of the hole. I will even track test the two if anyone is interested in that info. Same day, same track. The shift rpm will be set to 6,500 and I will adjust AFR off the wide band to ensure consistent fueling. If I have time I could also return the shift points to stock to see what happens as well.

To me, there is no point in doing a cam if you are not doing heads. The heads have to come off anyway. Unless you do a really small AFM cam. I am sure guys are coming up with good AFM grinds by now.
vince3 is offline   Reply With Quote