Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-19-2018, 06:45 AM   #43
Matt@Tick

Drives: All GM Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Blk1LE View Post
From Joshinator.
Out of the cars that we have done (Including C7) I have not seen one that was under 400 at the wheels baseline. But we have a DynoJet here so it will be more than you would see on a Mustang Dyno.
Matt@Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #44
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
I ordered my set a month ago and received my TB straight away but was told the MSD order had been pushed back to Oct.12th and it still has not arrived.

I sure hope it arrives, (whenever it arrives) with all bolts and associated parts or I will be very disappointed...

I'm not used to paying for a $1,100 plus part in advance, and waiting this long to get it.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #45
Matt@Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
I ordered my set a month ago and received my TB straight away but was told the MSD order had been pushed back to Oct.12th and it still has not arrived.

I sure hope it arrives, (whenever it arrives) with all bolts and associated parts or I will be very disappointed...

I'm not used to paying for a $1,100 plus part in advance, and waiting this long to get it.
I'm sorry that it is taking this long to get your manifold. I wish I could do more about it. This is the biggest issue when dealing with Holley anymore. They just can't keep up with demand at all.

If you have no hardware when it comes in, hit me up. I have an extra set of hardware that I'm keeping just for a situation like that.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #46
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Dyno testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Tick View Post
We have made about 90 dyno pulls with this car just trying and testing things. Cold air intakes, manifold, TB, headers, Mufflers, Timing, AFR, etc... We have really been trying to find out the best parts you can put on these things.
Out of curiosity, have you guys done any GM CAI dyno results in your testing? Ideally after getting the GM tune for the MAF that comes with it.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #47
Matt@Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Out of curiosity, have you guys done any GM CAI dyno results in your testing? Ideally after getting the GM tune for the MAF that comes with it.
No, but I can tell you that none of the ones we have tested really ever made any more power than the factory air box. Not with just bolt on's anyway. The Roto-fab picked up about 2hp over the stock box.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #48
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
No, but I can tell you that none of the ones we have tested really ever made any more power than the factory air box. Not with just bolt on's anyway. The Roto-fab picked up about 2hp over the stock box.
That kind of sucks, I know it's just the Cold Air Inductions CAI rebranded but I'd like to see if after the tune it picks up a couple of horses. Either way if I get a CAI it'll be the GM one since I get to keep my warranty, I saw you guys have it at a pretty decent price. Is there any coupon code for forum members?
Old 10-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #49
Matt@Tick

Quote:
That kind of sucks, I know it's just the Cold Air Inductions CAI rebranded but I'd like to see if after the tune it picks up a couple of horses. Either way if I get a CAI it'll be the GM one since I get to keep my warranty, I saw you guys have it at a pretty decent price. Is there any coupon code for forum members?
No coupon codes at this time. In my opinion, it will do just as good as the rest of them. People tend to over analyze things. We did a simple 4" aluminum tube, mounted the maf in the tube and tuned the car without a filter. It made no gain at all. That is the least restriction that we could have given it. It made no difference. Throw in more RPM, aftermarket cam, head porting, etc.. Then you will see gains from a simple air intake swap. Because the demand for more air will be there.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #50
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
No coupon codes at this time. In my opinion, it will do just as good as the rest of them. People tend to over analyze things. We did a simple 4" aluminum tube, mounted the maf in the tube and tuned the car without a filter. It made no gain at all. That is the least restriction that we could have given it. It made no difference. Throw in more RPM, aftermarket cam, head porting, etc.. Then you will see gains from a simple air intake swap. Because the demand for more air will be there.
Yea I figured now the only thing it'll do is look cool and maybe sound slightly different, but it'll make itself more useful down the line when I stop caring about the warranty or it runs out and I do some more serious mods.

So you don't think there's any benefit or even minimal gains to be had from the maf map tune they include?

I know some places have them in the lower 400s so I may wait a bit and see if a coupon eventually comes because I'd prefer you guys since you have paypal as a payment option.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #51
Ventmaster

Quote:
I'm sorry that it is taking this long to get your manifold. I wish I could do more about it. This is the biggest issue when dealing with Holley anymore. They just can't keep up with demand at all.

If you have no hardware when it comes in, hit me up. I have an extra set of hardware that I'm keeping just for a situation like that.
Thanks Matt, I really appreciate that and will take you up on it if it's necessary.

I'll keep you posted and let everyone know when this reaches a successful conclusion.

And just my 2 cents worth- I've got GM's cai and can't help but break into an ear-to-ear grin whenever the car rev matches and I can hear that intake suck in a big lung full of air followed immediately by the exhaust. It may not make anymore power, but she sure sounds serious! Definitely worth the price of admission IMHO. I highly recommend the CAI as well if just for the aural entertainment.

Last edited by Ventmaster; 10-15-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #52
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Thanks Matt, I really appreciate that and will take you up on it if it's necessary.

I'll keep you posted and let everyone know when this reaches a successful conclusion.

And just my 2 cents worth- I've got GM's cai and can't help but break into an ear-to-ear grin whenever the car rev matches and I can hear that intake suck in a big lung full of air followed immediately by the exhaust. It may not make anymore power, but she sure sounds serious! Definitely worth the price of admission IMHO. I highly recommend the CAI as well if just for the aural entertainment.
So atleast the sound benefit is real.. I was hoping for atleast some sort of minimal gain on top of that lol.. did the car act differently before and after the tune?
Old 10-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #53
Ventmaster

I had scheduled to have the car re-flashed by the dealer within a day of installing it myself. I only had a couple of chances to drive it in between.

It ran without issue before the tune but seemed even better after. I've read posts where people said they thought they lost power after install of GM's cai and re-flash. I wonder if their dealer actually did anything or perhaps did it incorrectly.

It is not a simple process with GM wanting to keep a record of car's that have received the upgrade and requires the dealer to contact other folks often many states away and coordinate the flash (as I understand it) with the GM Performance personnel. It is not just an "in-house" procedure at the dealer.

I expect you could check your car's VIN to see if there is an actual record of the upgrade. Anyway- I don't think there was a major change, but I'm confident I didn't lose anything.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:31 AM   #54
RobbyBeefcake87

Thanks for the detailed reply. I've heard some say they don't feel anything, I've heard some feel at a loss, and some claim their butt dyno and time slips show a differece. I'll just assume it stays the same but with a better sound.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #55
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
You can keep your warranty with the RF CAI as well. A cold air intake system does not void the warranty on the vehicle.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #56
RobbyBeefcake87

I've heard they're very specific with these 6th gens. Just playing it safe.