#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-13-2020, 05:12 PM   #29
amolaver

Drives: 18 ZL1 E90M3 E36M3 SM NCMX5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
the Guy's name is Mike Savage of Savage Designs on the East Coast of Florida. He paints for a lot of IndyCar & IMSA Drivers.

His price to paint helmets is more than Most guys will even pay for a Helmet ( about $1500). I'm glad I didn't pay for it! I Won a Auction at Lemons of Love that was racing related that included a Bell Helmet and Paint (the 1st & only time that Mike has donated his services). Bell was really cool in that they let me upgrade the Helmet to Carbon Fiber at No Charge and I waited for the SA2015s to become available ( mine was one of the 1st as it was in the order queue )

I collect Professionally Race Worn Helmets.

Not to get off topic...but is that a real senna helmet?!

So not totally off topic..i agree with minn19 - get one with provision for a head and neck restraint (HANS or similar) - usually a threaded hole beneath the visor pivot. This example has screws threaded in from factory to keep the threads safe.

I don't think a head and neck restraint is really needed by the OP (been to one track day ever), no question they provide additional safety assuming you can use it (5/6 point harness). While the Simpson hybrid s works with 3pt belts...i found it quite uncomfortable. The large area on your shoulders that a HANS-type presses down helps keep you in place under normal (non-crashing) conditions - a nice side benefit of wearing it. I've tried a few of them (nextgen, hybrid pro and s, and a couple of flavors of HANS). Still like HANS the best, but it is definitely personal preference.

ahm
Attached Images

amolaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:22 PM   #30
DANACO

Drives: 18 ZL1
For me, my criteria for a helmet is fit and weight, road course helmets can get very heavy IMO and while I’m not willing to spend big money on a helmet, 1k +, I bought a carbon Bell helmet that listed for about $800 and got it for 20% off at Wine Country Mototrsports with no tax even though they have a shop here in town. It’s a great value for its price/weight and fits perfectly.
My2 cents worth.
DANACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #31
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
oh wow nice! do you wear any of them also or just for display?
No those are Out of Date. Helmets have a Snell Rating that come out in 5 years increments - 2010, 2015, 2020s will be out Mid Year.

Racing Organization usually allow for 2 cycles, so 2010's would still be allowed to worn until the 2020s are available
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #32
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
oh yea i didnt think about that but i knew it and yea i have a 2015 black armour composite helmet but thinking about upgrading to a carbon army one later in the year!
Old 01-14-2020, 01:12 PM   #33
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolaver View Post
Not to get off topic...but is that a real senna helmet?!

So not totally off topic..i agree with minn19 - get one with provision for a head and neck restraint (HANS or similar) - usually a threaded hole beneath the visor pivot. This example has screws threaded in from factory to keep the threads safe.

I don't think a head and neck restraint is really needed by the OP (been to one track day ever), no question they provide additional safety assuming you can use it (5/6 point harness). While the Simpson hybrid s works with 3pt belts...i found it quite uncomfortable. The large area on your shoulders that a HANS-type presses down helps keep you in place under normal (non-crashing) conditions - a nice side benefit of wearing it. I've tried a few of them (nextgen, hybrid pro and s, and a couple of flavors of HANS). Still like HANS the best, but it is definitely personal preference.

ahm
my Senna is one of the few Replicas I've ever had. But it was done by his Original Painter, Sid, has a Green Nomex interior. It is pretty cool.

As far as HANs go, I think almost every Racing Helmet ( not motorcycle) have provisions for HANs Tethers.

I like my Simpson Hybrid HANs a lot better than the Original HANs - it's like I'm not wearing a Neck Device!
Old 01-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #34
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
Any DOT/Snell rated helmet will do. Try on a few and go with what's comfortable. Personally I go back and forth between an open face Bell and a closed face Arai. The open face is more comfortable and easier for me to jump in/out student cars. Key thing is to get a Hans or similiar device if your car has 5 or more harness belts.
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #35
Xlr8ion

Drives: 2013 Cayenne GTS
To spend a $1000 on a helmet would be really quite foolish.What you need is a basic helmet to use 3 times a yr. Being new your not pushing the limits and the odds of a low speed crash are very low.
Xlr8ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:57 PM   #36
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Damn! I see some of prices of those things and wow, I’m really cheap. I bought a what I consider nice looking and feeling helmet from amazon for about $75. No regrets
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:30 PM   #37
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
Wow, I've never heard of a good $75 helmet, hope you got a good one!

Also $1000 might be high, but when it's due to additional safety features it is worth every penny. However, nothing wrong with the $200 helmets.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:25 AM   #38
ohsmily

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE A10 ShadowGrayMetallic
I went with the Stilo ST5. Did the electronic comms model and bought an extra headset for instructor/ passenger. Bought in person from Wine Country Motorsports. I was passing by on way back from work in Marin Co.

Thank you all for your help/suggestions!
ohsmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:56 PM   #39
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Damn! I see some of prices of those things and wow, I’m really cheap. I bought a what I consider nice looking and feeling helmet from amazon for about $75. No regrets
Gotta be a Chinese Motorcycle Helmet

Doesn't mean you have to spend $1,000 ( or $5,000 for Top of the F1 Stilos), but there an old saying in Racing - "Got a $5 head? Get a $5 helmet"
Old 01-15-2020, 04:01 PM   #40
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I went with the Stilo ST5. Did the electronic comms model and bought an extra headset for instructor/ passenger. Bought in person from Wine Country Motorsports. I was passing by on way back from work in Marin Co.

Thank you all for your help/suggestions!
that's a nice helmet! a friend of mine, Jay Braxton is THE Stilo guy. Friend him on Facebook so you can ask him any questions

Name:  jay.PNG
Views: 216
Size:  186.2 KB
Old 01-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #41
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
OP, People have different size & shape Heads, so it's important to get a Helmet that fits properly and is comfortable - there is nothing worse than having a Helmet on for Hours that has a pressure point on your Melon!

So find a Shop that Stocks Helmets and will let you try them on - Wine Country Motorsports, Stable Energies, etc

I personally wear a Carbon Fiber Bell. Simpson & Arais don't fit me well

here it was before Paint

and my personal out of date helmets