Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-30-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Tune without penalty

Has anyone figured out how to tune without voiding the warranty yet? I am so surprised with all the talented hackers out there that no one has figured out a way to break in and make changes that can go undetected if set back to factory.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Nope.

You tune it, you bought it.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
Harpinc

Drives: 19' ZL1 1LE
100% solution... Tune it and don't take it in for warranty work. They way they can't void the warranty.
Harpinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnqa800720 View Post
Has anyone figured out how to tune without voiding the warranty yet? I am so surprised with all the talented hackers out there that no one has figured out a way to break in and make changes that can go undetected if set back to factory.
Why would you want to commit fraud on GM?

When you mod you become your own warranty station..

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #5
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
That would fall into the burden of proof category, which falls to GM - you can take off the TB to change the gasket. That said, anyone who has tried making a warranty claim with GM knows it is a crap shoot even for something completely unmodified, or even with a known warranty issue...
Quote:
You answered your own earlier problem statement in another thread. Companies are increasingly forced into being dicks because of certain customers trying to play this "game". Modding a part equals surrendering OEM warranty on it, pretending said modding never occurred is fraud, plain and simple.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:28 AM   #6
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
You answered your own earlier problem statement in another thread. Companies are increasingly forced into being dicks because of certain customers trying to play this "game". Modding a part equals surrendering OEM warranty on it, pretending said modding never occurred is fraud, plain and simple.

Good investigative reporting! I know the stance on warranty issues with GM. What I am asking is if any clever hacker has found a way around it. I'd love to do some simple tune modifications, but not going to risk my warranty to do it.

I know it is fraud, but I feel it is evening the playing field. With all the BS Chevy has put its customers through with the A8 transmission (I've had two with the issue, and it has been a disaster dealing with them), it'd be nice to have the customers win one too. If GM was a "stand up" organization, always doing right by its customers, I'd have a different opinion. I'd still want to be able to mod my car, but I'd be much more defensive about "frauding" them.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:36 AM   #7
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Jesus my eyes hurt reading all this sh!t. You people are like internet fire starters. Sure TECHNICALLY a dealer can deny any warranty claim on a modified part. But there is no such thing as voiding a warranty and whatnot. There are laws against this. They can do what I said, and deny a warranty claim.

But there are plenty of mod friendly dealers out there. You just need to inquire with whatever service writer you will be dealing with. When I had my C6, it had a complete blower kit, tune and headers. I brought that car in several times for warranty work of all kinds. The tech was a car guy and was able to decide if a modded part of the car caused a failure of another part. As well as my service writer was honest with me about what they would cover and not. If it was something that was questionable, they would look at it and if it was not covered because it was directly related to the kit, then I would pay out of pocket.

But there was never any warranty voiding. They just wouldnt cover it. Not a huge deal. Some dealers are not as friendly. Just call ahead and talk to someone.

A simple tune is not a big deal, and shouldnt stop you from getting just about any warranty work done on most of the drivetrain and the rest of the car. Just know they can deny the claim and you will be on the hook for the diagnosis fee as well as the parts/labor.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
Jesus my eyes hurt reading all this sh!t. You people are like internet fire starters. Sure TECHNICALLY a dealer can deny any warranty claim on a modified part. But there is no such thing as voiding a warranty and whatnot. There are laws against this. They can do what I said, and deny a warranty claim.

But there are plenty of mod friendly dealers out there. You just need to inquire with whatever service writer you will be dealing with. When I had my C6, it had a complete blower kit, tune and headers. I brought that car in several times for warranty work of all kinds. The tech was a car guy and was able to decide if a modded part of the car caused a failure of another part. As well as my service writer was honest with me about what they would cover and not. If it was something that was questionable, they would look at it and if it was not covered because it was directly related to the kit, then I would pay out of pocket.

But there was never any warranty voiding. They just wouldnt cover it. Not a huge deal. Some dealers are not as friendly. Just call ahead and talk to someone.

A simple tune is not a big deal, and shouldnt stop you from getting just about any warranty work done on most of the drivetrain and the rest of the car. Just know they can deny the claim and you will be on the hook for the diagnosis fee as well as the parts/labor.

You and the others may want to take the time to really read the Magnusson Moss warranty act. Nothing in it states that you can mod and or tune a vehicle and the burden of the proof is on the manufacture or dealer to prove that modification caused the failure.

it actually states that if you change your oil as an example and use a Fram filter and Pennzoil oil and the engine takes a dump that as long as the replacement parts meet or exceed the OE design specs that the burden is on the manufacture to prove using those parts caused the failure of the engine.

It says nothing and protects nothing about increasing horsepower or tuning the vehicle. If you get into the ECM/TCM/FPCM and tune them, yep as Ted says you own it and you are responsible for it now.

Now with that if the AC goes out, sure a tuned engine wont keep the AC from being fixed. If your tuned engine dies, or the transmission takes a crap or you grenade the rear diff then yes the dealer and GM have the option of denying the claim and putting the cost of repairs onto the owner.

If you dont want to pay, my suggestion is to not tune the vehicle then.

With that to answer the OP's question, no there is not way around the tuning issue now with the new Global GM system. The ECM logs a flash counter every time the ECM is flashed. Even if you tune back to stock and the CVN numbers match the original CVN number the ECM flash counter will be tripped and there is no way to reset or get around that issue. GM knows exactly how many times the ECM/TCM/FPCM was or has been flashed, it is logged in their system. So when they show the flash counter should be at say "4" and you show up and it says "25" they will know something is up.

Now if they ask the dealership to gather that much info depends on what the repair is about on the car. I took my tuned 2016 GMC Sierra 6.2/A8 into the dealership with a misfire code that pointed to a bad DI injector. The tech knew my truck was tuned and GM still covered the repair bill. The tech said unless you come in with a piston out of the side of the block that GM typically will cover the repairs unless the tech pushes the issue of the vehicle being tuned.

In closing if you want to tune your vehicle, I would make damn sure your dealership, the service writer and techs are mod friendly otherwise you may be taking care of any repair bills.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #9
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post

Wrong, wrong and wrong. You really shouldn't give advice that could potentially cost people 10's of thousands of dollars out of pocket. Your warranty can absolutely be voided for nothing more than a "simple tune" as you say. Here is a guy following your advice, who just got his warranty blocked last month..
Attached Images

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote