Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #1
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Clutch Pedal Stop for 6th Gen?

Has anyone seen a adjustable clutch pedal stop for the 6th gen?

I struggle to get consistent launches as I am usually hunting for the engagement point on the clutch.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #2
DorkMissile

I spent a few nights under the dash this week and came up with a pretty solid setup for a stop.

Using the data logging the clutch pedal travel, the bottom 40%+ of the travel is unused. I was able to set a stop right at the 40% point. Love driving the car now - I never could get a good feel of where the engagement point was, I now know it is 1/4" off the stop
Old 06-07-2019, 07:54 AM   #3
CamaroVille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
I spent a few nights under the dash this week and came up with a pretty solid setup for a stop.

Using the data logging the clutch pedal travel, the bottom 40%+ of the travel is unused. I was able to set a stop right at the 40% point. Love driving the car now - I never could get a good feel of where the engagement point was, I now know it is 1/4" off the stop

Very interesting. I'd like to know more. Can you elaborate on how you where able to "set a stop at the 40% point"? Maybe post some pics? Thanks!
Built 6/21/18 -- Purchased 7/28/18
CamaroVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:58 PM   #4
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroVille View Post
Very interesting. I'd like to know more. Can you elaborate on how you where able to "set a stop at the 40% point"? Maybe post some pics? Thanks!
I second this request
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
DorkMissile

Well I am on the road for a couple of nights for work, but I will try to when I get back home.

It wasn't hard. I removed the gas pedal and trim that would allow me to get some access to the backside of the carpet, of which I was able to fold back enough to see what exactly was between the clutch pedal and the firewall. All that is there is the carpet and some sound deadner.

I took two hockey pucks and screwed them together, and then using some 3M VHB double sided tape, stuck them to the firewall. This is very high end tape, it will not come loose (this is the stuff they use to hold siding onto trailers).

I then pulled off the rubber cover off of the clutch pedal and drilled & countersunk a hole for a 5/16 screw. Then using a FHCS, I bolted on to the back side of the pedal coupling nut.

I had determined that the distance I was shooting for from the tip of the pedal to my stop was about 3", so I cut a "elevator bolt" (a long threaded bolt with a large head) that would let me set it at 3" with about 1/2" of travel each way.

Once all installed the head of the elevator bolt squeezes the carpet between the bolt and the hockey pucks, at this point my clutch pedal position reads 39.5-40%.

Then using HP tuners I was able to get the Clutch Pedal Relearn procedure completed and everything works as normal (the car starts with the pedal to the stop, but only if the pedal is pushed in).

All said and done, I move the pedal about 1/4" off of the stop and the clutch starts to engage, it has made all the difference in my launches.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
CamaroVille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS M6
Thank you for the detailed description. I now understand how you did it. Not sure if I want to try it tho. Thanks again!
Built 6/21/18 -- Purchased 7/28/18
CamaroVille is offline   Reply With Quote