Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-05-2021, 07:33 PM   #141
Camaro Rules

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
You need to put a heater in there and keep it around 50F

I do...have one!

Next Spring...I am gonna put up..i.nsulation and plywood walls...that will keep her...real warm and toasty!
Old 01-05-2021, 09:50 PM   #142
Mikey Likes

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert...2019 F-250
We just picked up our vert Saturday. It will be daily driven by my wife. This winter we still have the Infinity to drive in salt and snow but next year its going out every day.
I was not prepared for the information that the summer only tires shouldnt even be out parked in sub freezing temps. I didnt plan on buying winter tires until next winter. But I dont want her to end up scared of the car after doing a 360 for letting the clutch out on a cold morning.
Tomorrow Im taking it to work and giving it a good waxing in the shop after hours. I plan on spraying the undercarriage with fluid film for the damn salt. I hate salt.
In the last couple of years snow has been light. But salt? The State runs out and puts millions of dollars in salt out just because its calling for snow and rains instead.
Anyone driving the GY F-1s in the cold weather?
Im looking at Dunlop runflat snows on some black rims off Tire Rack.
Im also kind of surprised how few tires are available in the 245/275 20 sizes.
I would go to an all season but not much in the run flats out there.
Weve had lots of flats over the years but nothing that couldnt be driven to repair. The last time I changed a tire it was because I bent a rim sliding over a curb one day... these GY runflats are 500 bucks a tire. Suitable performance all season tires are half that. Im thinking when the GYs are shot Ill be putting some kind of kit in the trunk or calling a flatbed for a flat. I cant imagine my wife on the side of the road in NJ changing a tire. Id rather she destroyed a rim and kept driving to a safe place.
Mikey Likes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:25 PM   #143
Mikey Likes

Another thing Ive been doing with the trucks in the salt. Theres a boating product called salt away for rinsing off boats and flushing motors used in the salt water. It neutralizes the salt. So I sprayed the complete frame and anywhere I thought looked like it was bare metal or would hold water with Fluid Film. Then when I drive in the heavy salt I rinse the undercarriage with the Salt Away. Thats going to be nearly impossible with the Camaro though. But Ill probably Salt Away it at the end of the winter.
The wifes commute is 6 miles.
My Bikes have never been out after they salt. And I dont bring them out in spring until I feel the salt has been washed away.
We paid less for the Camaro than most of the Jeeps we were looking at. I dont think the Camaro will rust any worse than a Chrysler product.
In the 70s we drove whatever we had 12 months a year and it was all front engine rear drive and V-8s. I drove 2 Corvettes, a 70 Camaro and a 72 GTO in the snow. The GTO was the best vehicle I ever drove in the snow that wasnt 4x4.
3 years and well be living in the south and retired. Hope I can keep it from starting to rust.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:26 AM   #144
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Likes View Post
We just picked up our vert Saturday. It will be daily driven by my wife. This winter we still have the Infinity to drive in salt and snow but next year its going out every day.
I was not prepared for the information that the summer only tires shouldnt even be out parked in sub freezing temps. I didnt plan on buying winter tires until next winter. But I dont want her to end up scared of the car after doing a 360 for letting the clutch out on a cold morning.
Tomorrow Im taking it to work and giving it a good waxing in the shop after hours. I plan on spraying the undercarriage with fluid film for the damn salt. I hate salt.
In the last couple of years snow has been light. But salt? The State runs out and puts millions of dollars in salt out just because its calling for snow and rains instead.
Anyone driving the GY F-1s in the cold weather?
Im looking at Dunlop runflat snows on some black rims off Tire Rack.
Im also kind of surprised how few tires are available in the 245/275 20 sizes.
I would go to an all season but not much in the run flats out there.
Weve had lots of flats over the years but nothing that couldnt be driven to repair. The last time I changed a tire it was because I bent a rim sliding over a curb one day... these GY runflats are 500 bucks a tire. Suitable performance all season tires are half that. Im thinking when the GYs are shot Ill be putting some kind of kit in the trunk or calling a flatbed for a flat. I cant imagine my wife on the side of the road in NJ changing a tire. Id rather she destroyed a rim and kept driving to a safe place.
Why not just get a Fix-A-Flat, small compressor, and run quality winter tires? It sounds like the driving this winter is going to be reduced anyhow... Might want to check out other threads swapping tires on here for more info...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:06 AM   #145
Mikey Likes

Yea well probably do something like that. Im definitely getting the winter tire and wheel package. The Dunlops got good writeups and they are run flats.
Probably wear out the GYs before making the Fix a Flat decision.
I had planned on driving only on nice days until spring. The thing that got me was reports of the summer tires actually being damaged even parked in low temps. I wasnt prepared for that. With the lease on the QX50 going to April. The Camaro has to live outdoors under a cover for winter.
Some guys are claiming no problem while others hare talked about wrecking their car.
Im thinking another 2 grand for peace of mind is the way to go.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:11 AM   #146
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Rules View Post
I got tired of sending mine off too...Boarding School! lol

After seeing it covered in snow...I decided too build this!

Now...she is at home and out of the nasty weather!

Nice! It sure feels nice to know she is tucked away during the winter, doesn't it?
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #147
Camaro Rules

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Nice! It sure feels nice to know she is tucked away during the winter, doesn't it?

You got that...right!

For almost 6 months...I would have to drive by her...almost daily...and hated it! Each time...I would say..."See you in, Springtime!"

But last year when I went too pick her up...there was water all over the floor from a leaking roof and they now make you sign a...form...releasing them from any responsibilities if something should happen...like say... a roof collapse...maybe?!

I felt a building of my own would be much better and safer...Now...I can see her....Everyday!

Plus if...Really wanted too...on Sunny days...I could go for a joy ride!

But she is in...hibernation mode...I will leave her that way...until Soring!
Old 01-06-2021, 12:34 PM   #148
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Mine is sitting in the garage I have here at the apartment complex for the second week since my area got Snow Ice and salt put down. Gas tank is below an 1/8th of a tank and the gas station is pretty much next door almost to my apartment complex so when we have at least a decent break from winter weather I will take the Camaro out for a drive. Until then wife and I share a Subaru as the daily driver that we just traded in the Honda Civic for (struggled going up the steep hill to our apartment but Subaru does it effortlessly lol)
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:01 PM   #149
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Rules View Post
You got that...right!

For almost 6 months...I would have to drive by her...almost daily...and hated it! Each time...I would say..."See you in, Springtime!"

But last year when I went too pick her up...there was water all over the floor from a leaking roof and they now make you sign a...form...releasing them from any responsibilities if something should happen...like say... a roof collapse...maybe?!

I felt a building of my own would be much better and safer...Now...I can see her....Everyday!

Plus if...Really wanted too...on Sunny days...I could go for a joy ride!

But she is in...hibernation mode...I will leave her that way...until Soring!
Yeah, one of my previous cars had to sit outside during the winter with a cover.. . It wasn't ideal but I felt better about it than driving it. Years later, now I walk past it sitting in the garage. Mine will absolutely not be driven until the roads are totally clear, even if the sun is out.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote