Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 12-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
Austin_504

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 2.0t
New RS Tires

I want new summer tires and I kinda want a wider tire too and I want to know if yall have any recommendations.
Austin_504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
245/40ZR20 has a 27.7" diameter and 255/40ZR20 has a 28" diameter. That is about a 1% difference so it shouldn't be a problem to run the 255. I don't believe anybody specs a tire wider than a 255 for an 8.5" wide wheel.

The bigger question is what are your driving habits and what is your budget. Web sites like TireRack.com will allow you to compare tires and read the reviews to help you find a tire within your budget that meets your needs.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_504 View Post
I want new summer tires and I kinda want a wider tire too and I want to know if yall have any recommendations.
If you want wider tires, you should really look into buying wider wheels. Any performance (if any) that you'd gain from a wider tire would be immediately lost (possibly even made worse) by running it on a narrow wheel. I'm a firm believer in doing things once, and doing things right. It's always more expensive to do things the wrong way!

If the car is your daily, I'd avoid most summer/max performance type tires. You don't see any actual benefit until you're driving at 10/10ths, but you see all the negatives when you're just cruising around. Negatives being that summer/max tires aren't meant to be driven on when it's less than 50 degrees outside. My SS Sedan with Bridgestone RE050's is a complete handful on chilly days, and any decent rain is a no-go as well. I had the Michelin PSS & PS2's on my CTS-V coupe, both were like driving on hockey pucks under 50 degrees with the same terrible rain driving characteristics. On that car I eventually upgraded to the Michelin A/S3's which provide about 90% of the grip of the PS2's in warm/dry conditions, and about 500% better grip in colder/wet conditions. I would very highly recommend the Michelin A/S3's. They are expensive, but have been completely worth it.

I guess my main point is to just be honest with yourself about the type of driving you're going to do. If you need a set of summer/max performance tires, then by all means, go for it!
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
EagleRS

Drives: Nightfall Grey 2.0L Turbo
My 2 cents....

I went through the same exact issue and had every little response or help.

Do your own research and call respectable tire shops. I ended up with Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires, (245/40/R20) I also looked at many others. (toyo, general, bf-goodrich, and michelin's)

Best of luck to you.

EagleRS
EagleRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
I'm running 255/40's. Only a slight rub on my splash guard that came loose to fix while going over bumps.

turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote