Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
Spudsmaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 6 SPEED MANUAL CAMARO
Exhaust questions

Hi guys I have a 2018 3.6l v6 1lt Camaro
I installed an mbrp quad tip Axel back to my exhaust although I want a bit louder I was wondering if I should install an magnaflow tru-x resonated x pipe or a magnaflow tru-x xpipe. I want loud but I don't want annoying or farty sounds. I was wondering if I could do both but I can't really look at my entire exhaust due to no lift if anyone has a full picture of the v6 exhaust that would help alot. Thanks in advance guys
Spudsmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I highly doubt changing the resonator for a different resonator or just a plain x-pipe will increase the loudness of the exhaust. The muffler and cats are way more of a factor in the sound.

What the resonator does is blend the exhaust pulses and change the tone of the sound. Resonated x-pipes tend to be a bit lower in frequency than regular x-pipes.

Literally the only people who could tell you if it's a good idea or not are people who have that exact same axle back muffler.

Many axle back setups give you the option of keeping or removing your AFM valves. Either way, you can always do x-pipe upgrades along with axle back upgrades . Only cat-back systems would be incompatible. Since cat back systems totally replace the resonated stock x-pipe.

My suggestion, is if you want a "louder" exhaust, you need to ditch your muffler and go with a more bullet style muffler like from MRT or the kind that borla uses with their j-pipes. Changing that x-pipe resonator for another or for plain x-pipe will just change the tone .. and it's anyone's guess how that will impact a given aftermarket muffler ...could add drone, could add rasp or other unwanted sounds. Very unlikely someone else on here will have the same setup of mixture of aftermarket exhaust parts.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:03 AM   #3
Spudsmaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
I highly doubt changing the resonator for a different resonator or just a plain x-pipe will increase the loudness of the exhaust. The muffler and cats are way more of a factor in the sound.

What the resonator does is blend the exhaust pulses and change the tone of the sound. Resonated x-pipes tend to be a bit lower in frequency than regular x-pipes.

Literally the only people who could tell you if it's a good idea or not are people who have that exact same axle back muffler.

Many axle back setups give you the option of keeping or removing your AFM valves. Either way, you can always do x-pipe upgrades along with axle back upgrades . Only cat-back systems would be incompatible. Since cat back systems totally replace the resonated stock x-pipe.

My suggestion, is if you want a "louder" exhaust, you need to ditch your muffler and go with a more bullet style muffler like from MRT or the kind that borla uses with their j-pipes. Changing that x-pipe resonator for another or for plain x-pipe will just change the tone .. and it's anyone's guess how that will impact a given aftermarket muffler ...could add drone, could add rasp or other unwanted sounds. Very unlikely someone else on here will have the same setup of mixture of aftermarket exhaust parts.
Thanks man I appreciate the thoughts and input. Now today I actually went to a muffler shop with both the resonated x pipe and regular x pipe now I just want to say a few things about that experience the muffler shop guys could not tell the difference between my secondary cats and my resonator they thought my secondary cats were my resonators and that my resonator was my muffler. Now the Axle back I installed is already a muffler delete axle back but the guy recommended I should get a muffler delete another concerning sign for me to not work with these guys..then to top it off he gave me an estimate of $750 just to remove my secondary cats and install the x pipe in its place. Literally 4 cuts and 4 welds. With this being said I'm going somewhere else lol should be no more then $150 to do this job but in Maryland people over price anything. Although I was able to take pictures of my entire exhaust which was great for me...pictures below.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Obviously, the second pic focuses on the resonated x pipe. If your muffler shop thinks your secondary cats are resonators, get a different muffler guy.

Total cost of secondary cat removal depends .... technically the job is probably like a 40 buck job total to have someone do it for you. But it's also a federal crime. So ...costs may vary.

Adding an x-pipe there is something some people do, but at that point, you dont really need the resonated x-pipe that comes just before the muffler.

I know how loud my MRT v1 is ...and it's not a muffler delete like the MRT v3 is ...and the V2 is just about a muffler delete. If you have a muffler delete, then you're already very loud even with the secondary cats and resonated x pipe. You're asking to get harassed by cops ...but that's your choice.

Swapping the resonated x pipe for a true x or aftermarket resonated x pipe (where the resonator actually is) should run you 100 bucks or less + cost of part. A true x should only cost you about 30 bucks. They're simple. Other options may run higher. Either way, that's the cost in california where everything is super expensive ...So being quoted higher than 200 is a red flag for sure.

Get a new muffler shop 100%.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #5
RxSummit16

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro LT2 RS
I was quoted $120 + part for a tru x-pipe replacement. Basically, 120/hr and was told it would take the whole hour. By the way, I've been trying to find out, do we need a 2.25" or 2.5" in/out x-pipe?
Old 07-18-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudsmaro View Post
Hi guys I have a 2018 3.6l v6 1lt Camaro
I installed an mbrp quad tip Axel back to my exhaust although I want a bit louder I was wondering if I should install an magnaflow tru-x resonated x pipe or a magnaflow tru-x xpipe. I want loud but I don't want annoying or farty sounds. I was wondering if I could do both but I can't really look at my entire exhaust due to no lift if anyone has a full picture of the v6 exhaust that would help alot. Thanks in advance guys
I am going to tell you that if you change or delete the actual stock RESONATOR your entire system will be god-awful loud. I replaced my stock one with the dual barrel style resonators, removed the exahust valves and used twin turbine mufflers which have no packing material to deaden the sound. the accelration and performance is amazing but the in cab drone at low RPMS is very loud.
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
Spudsmaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxSummit16 View Post
I was quoted $120 + part for a tru x-pipe replacement. Basically, 120/hr and was told it would take the whole hour. By the way, I've been trying to find out, do we need a 2.25" or 2.5" in/out x-pipe?
the v6 has 2.25" pipes so I would stick to that.

Last edited by Spudsmaro; 07-18-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:00 PM   #8
Spudsmaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Obviously, the second pic focuses on the resonated x pipe. If your muffler shop thinks your secondary cats are resonators, get a different muffler guy.

Total cost of secondary cat removal depends .... technically the job is probably like a 40 buck job total to have someone do it for you. But it's also a federal crime. So ...costs may vary.

Adding an x-pipe there is something some people do, but at that point, you dont really need the resonated x-pipe that comes just before the muffler.

I know how loud my MRT v1 is ...and it's not a muffler delete like the MRT v3 is ...and the V2 is just about a muffler delete. If you have a muffler delete, then you're already very loud even with the secondary cats and resonated x pipe. You're asking to get harassed by cops ...but that's your choice.

Swapping the resonated x pipe for a true x or aftermarket resonated x pipe (where the resonator actually is) should run you 100 bucks or less + cost of part. A true x should only cost you about 30 bucks. They're simple. Other options may run higher. Either way, that's the cost in california where everything is super expensive ...So being quoted higher than 200 is a red flag for sure.

Get a new muffler shop 100%.
Thanks a lot man I really appreciate your help I will def get a new muffler guy lol and if he can do it for $40 id be super happy.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #9
Spudsmaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYD3800SII View Post
I am going to tell you that if you change or delete the actual stock RESONATOR your entire system will be god-awful loud. I replaced my stock one with the dual barrel style resonators, removed the exahust valves and used twin turbine mufflers which have no packing material to deaden the sound. the accelration and performance is amazing but the in cab drone at low RPMS is very loud.
Thanks man I dont plan on removing my resonator im just going to remove my secondary cats and put an xpipe in its place.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #10
RxSummit16

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro LT2 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudsmaro View Post
the v6 has 2.25" pipes so I would stick to that the
Thanks!
Old 07-24-2019, 05:33 PM   #11
Magna_Flow

Drives: 2015 ZL1
We would recommend one of our resonated X mufflers if you were looking to keep the sound from getting to raspy and at a reasonable volume for the street. That mod has been a favorite for the V6 (and even V8) owners. Feel free to give us a call at 1-800-990-0905 if you have any questions!
Magna_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #12
RideWithDanger

Drives: 23 2SS 1LE
https://youtu.be/95trih5V0uE

I went with a regular non-resonated Xpipe, with my setup it works really well but if you have MBPR I would suggest going with the magnaflow resonated Xpipe.

Radiant Red 23' 2SS 1LE
1100: 11/14/22 | BUILT: 3/16/23
2000: 2/17/23 | 4200: 5/8/23
3000: 2/27/23 | 5000/6000: 5/15/23

Black on black 2019 3LT RS Camaro.
1100: 3/7/19 | 4200: 4/15/19
3100: 3/15/19 | 4800: 4/23/19
3400: 3/22/19 | 5000: 4/25/19
Built: 4/8/19 | Home: 4/26/19
RideWithDanger is online now   Reply With Quote