Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #1
Walshman

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Looking for a ZL-1 Convertible - Anyone Finding Any Deals?

Hi Everyone, I have been looking for a ZL-1 Convertible manual trans. I'm located in the Philly area. I thought I was going to be the new owner of a 2018 blue ZL-1 convertible today. My wife and I traveled to a dealer outside of DC. The car had about 7500 miles and we agreed on a price of $51k plus T&TL. The dealer told me the car was in great condition. Of course, I was highly disappointed upon my inspection of the car. Something also just didn't feel right, so I walked away from the dealer without my new to me ZL-1. I know it was the right decision, but I was hopeful for a new toy.

Anyways, I have researched the market for ZL-1 convertibles with manual transmission quite a bit. I have found one new 2019 vert for a little over $62k plus T&TL. Is this a decent deal for a convertible? I don't mind waiting a bit if I can get a decent deal. I think I would pull the trigger at $60k for new if I could find one. Maybe I'm unreasonable to think I could buy for $60k?

The used market does not appear to be that great right now for these cars and the used cars that I have found are generally priced at $55k and above. I'm sure if I expanded my search for coupes I would have many more options, but I definitely want a convertible with manual trans.

One interesting thing to note is that it appears that there are several ZL-1's for sale with very low mileage. The one I looked at today was a 2 owner with only 7400 miles. I think the second owner only put a couple thousand miles on it. Just seems strange to me the amount of used ZL-1's with very low mileage. Surprised that people buy and sell a car so quickly - especially this beast!

I'm a former vette owner and I noticed many vette dealers advertise new cars in the vette forum. I'm new to this forum. Do any dealers advertise new camaros here? Also, if anyone has had a good experience with a dealer near Philly, please let me know. Thanks for all comments. Great forum full of good information.
Walshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I would say that the new 2019 ZL1 vert is a good deal! It probably listed for around $70,000 I would bet. If you really like it then you should get it as the price is good and I know you can’t order a new one for $62,000 plus taxes etc.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
1fujifilm

Drives: 2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshman View Post
Hi Everyone, I have been looking for a ZL-1 Convertible manual trans. I'm located in the Philly area. I thought I was going to be the new owner of a 2018 blue ZL-1 convertible today. My wife and I traveled to a dealer outside of DC. The car had about 7500 miles and we agreed on a price of $51k plus T&TL. The dealer told me the car was in great condition. Of course, I was highly disappointed upon my inspection of the car. Something also just didn't feel right, so I walked away from the dealer without my new to me ZL-1. I know it was the right decision, but I was hopeful for a new toy.

Anyways, I have researched the market for ZL-1 convertibles with manual transmission quite a bit. I have found one new 2019 vert for a little over $62k plus T&TL. Is this a decent deal for a convertible? I don't mind waiting a bit if I can get a decent deal. I think I would pull the trigger at $60k for new if I could find one. Maybe I'm unreasonable to think I could buy for $60k?

The used market does not appear to be that great right now for these cars and the used cars that I have found are generally priced at $55k and above. I'm sure if I expanded my search for coupes I would have many more options, but I definitely want a convertible with manual trans.

One interesting thing to note is that it appears that there are several ZL-1's for sale with very low mileage. The one I looked at today was a 2 owner with only 7400 miles. I think the second owner only put a couple thousand miles on it. Just seems strange to me the amount of used ZL-1's with very low mileage. Surprised that people buy and sell a car so quickly - especially this beast!

I'm a former vette owner and I noticed many vette dealers advertise new cars in the vette forum. I'm new to this forum. Do any dealers advertise new camaros here? Also, if anyone has had a good experience with a dealer near Philly, please let me know. Thanks for all comments. Great forum full of good information.

Hello,
I would not buy a used ZL-1 either, these cars get out of hand quickly and end up into poles, trees, walls and other cars; likely light damage but still damaged.

My personal experience is a new $70,700 MSRP ZL-1 vert with manual for $58,450; that's a $12,250 dealer discount or 17.3% discount prior to trade, tax, title and doc fee.
FYI; for me to buy they need to get to a 25% dealer discount to buy.
Why, even at $58,450 it is only worth 49k a year later, depreciation is the cost not what we pay up front.

Bear
1fujifilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:45 PM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
ZL1 verts are rare cars to begin with, and those of us with them don’t often choose to let them go. Manuals are crazy rare as very few dealers ordered them on speculation.

I don’t agree with a $49k valuation on a 1yr old car. My 2017 @ 7500 miles was recently appraised at $60k, FWIW. Congrats on the $58k purchase, that was the performance car deal of the century!

If you can get one for $62k, dive on that deal ASAP. You won’t likely see one again.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
Walshman

Yeah, the new ZL-1 I'm looking at is listed at over $71k. I don't see these at a 25% dealer discount either. I'm not even sure the c7's are at 25% yet. I do think they currently are around 20% though. I think for me the bottom line is $60k. If I can get there, I'm a buyer. This is for a 2019 as well. Thanks for the responses!
Old 12-15-2019, 09:18 PM   #6
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshman View Post
Yeah, the new ZL-1 I'm looking at is listed at over $71k. I don't see these at a 25% dealer discount either. I'm not even sure the c7's are at 25% yet. I do think they currently are around 20% though. I think for me the bottom line is $60k. If I can get there, I'm a buyer. This is for a 2019 as well. Thanks for the responses!
$60K is a great deal for a new 2019. I agree, go for it!

Good luck!
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:28 PM   #7
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
I'm thinking just about the last day of the year will be the best deal out there for you. Especially if you find one throughout across the country, keep all you options open and you'll find the perfect one for you! Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Old 12-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #8
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Buying a used ZL1 shouldn’t be a problem. So many folks here bought used and have had no issues/problems with theirs so if you can find a used one for a decent price then I would say buy it. I couldn’t afford new so I bought a used one with less than 500 miles and knock on wood, no problems yet. Good luck trying to buy that 2019 for $60,000!
Old 12-16-2019, 06:50 AM   #9
Walshman

Thanks for all the replies and comments. I’ll keep everyone posted on what I end up getting. Happy holidays to all!
Old 12-17-2019, 05:40 AM   #10
Oddspyke

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 convertible
I'll echo the sentiments above, $62k is a good deal. The only time I've seen the new prices lower was when Chevy was trying to get rid of the 2018's earlier this year (that's how I got mine for $13k off MSRP). The problem is if you wait on a deal too long, you just won't get one. Don't know the 2019 production numbers yet, but 2017 and 2018, fewer than 300 manual convertibles were made each year (based on numbers posted in this forum). There isn't a lot of selection, new or used, because of that.
Oddspyke is offline   Reply With Quote