Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-02-2023, 10:59 PM   #1
RIPws6

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue
Problem With Guide on Back Up Camera

When i use the camera it shows my wheels are slightly turned to the right givjng the impression I am not backed in straight when I am perfectly straight. Any idea what would cause that?
I attached a pic. The right side red bracket is always further out than the left.

Thanks!
Attached Images

RIPws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 01:06 AM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPws6 View Post
When i use the camera it shows my wheels are slightly turned to the right givjng the impression I am not backed in straight when I am perfectly straight. Any idea what would cause that?
I attached a pic. The right side red bracket is always further out than the left.

Thanks!
I think you might be experiencing parallax in the image as the further the brackets get from the car the less accurate they are, I wouldn't worry about it...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 03:25 AM   #3
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
It looks like the camera might be twisted to the left - note how you can see more of the bumper at the bottom left of the screen than at bottom right. Check the camera assembly in the bumper and see if it didn't get knocked loose/sideways.
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 03:26 AM   #4
RIPws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I think you might be experiencing parallax in the image as the further the brackets get from the car the less accurate they are, I wouldn't worry about it...
This was taken as I pulled into my garage. The line in the concrete always told me how close I was to the forward facing wall.
So I basically pull in to the garage, come to a stop and go into reverse so I can see the camera. I judge my distance to the forward facing wall by how close i am to the groove in the driveway in the picture. In the past, the lines were perfect, now they are telling me I am coming in at a slight angle.
I am only asking for advice because I have viewed this angle as I pull into my garage many times over the past few years and something has changed it.
Old 01-03-2023, 03:31 AM   #5
RIPws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
It looks like the camera might be twisted to the left - note how you can see more of the bumper at the bottom left of the screen than at bottom right. Check the camera assembly in the bumper and see if it didn't get knocked loose/sideways.
This could be the problem. I bought a new license plate frame that was very snug to mount beneath the camera. There isn't alot of room there. Theres a chance the tag frame may have shifted the camera when I tightened the screws. I will check it out. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2023, 03:34 AM   #6
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPws6 View Post
This could be the problem. I bought a new license plate frame that was very snug to mount beneath the camera. There isn't alot of room there. Theres a chance the tag frame may have shifted the camera when I tightened the screws. I will check it out. Thank you!
That sounds like the culprit - I recall having some minor interference with the top of my aftermarket plate frame and the camera as well, now that you mention it!
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 03:55 AM   #7
RIPws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
That sounds like the culprit - I recall having some minor interference with the top of my aftermarket plate frame and the camera as well, now that you mention it!
This certainly gives me something to check out. My original plate frame got destroyed in a hail storm a few years ago. My car was destroyed as well. Pool ball sized hail stones caused 17k in damage to the car. Insurance covered the repairs but my poor license plate frame was jacked up and ignored. I decided to buy a new one a few weeks ago and that is about when I first noticed the problem.
I appreciate the input!
Old 01-03-2023, 05:07 PM   #8
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
This kind of camera movement can occur even if a car is lightly hit from behind by another car in a hit and run incident.

Once, when driving my Mustang, a cellphone user ran lightly into the back of my car when she starting braking too late for a red light. There was no apparent external damage, and that particular older model mustang did not have a rear view camera. But a friend warned me to take the car to a body shop for an inspection. Good thing he did.

The shop found that while the sruface of the bumper section had popped back to OEM shape, the FOAM behind it had been crushed. If the shop had not replaced the foam, any future hit would have done a LOT of damage to the rear quarters and rear trunk area.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 09:22 AM   #9
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
It's possible that you need to do a SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) calibration. I just had to do this to my wife's Honda Passport when I put the optional heated steering wheel kit in. If you know somebody that has a more advance OBDII scan tool with diagnostic capabilities, you can perform these tasks with it. I have this one https://autel.com/us/product/maxitpms-ts608/
Old 01-04-2023, 08:14 PM   #10
outvoted

Drives: 1939 ford coe
Agreed, have you had an alignment done recently? A lot of shops don’t bother to reset steering angle sensors after an alignment. That sensor is what makes the lines on the display of the backup cam turn in conjunction with the steering wheel.
outvoted is offline   Reply With Quote