Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 01-01-2023, 10:07 PM   #1
Drew145022

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Vert
Top not secure.

Starting with I’m locked out the trunk. So I have two problems the top isn’t secure so I can’t get into the trunk and second the cargo shade isn’t up so I can’t get the top to go down or up to get the top to lock. I have tried to use the key trick to open the trunk and it won’t open the truck either. It’s the first time I used the key so I guess I applied to much force and broke the key off. The key twists about a quarter turn but there isn’t a pop sound so I just assumed I hadn’t twisted it enough and broke it. I have another key but I’m worried about breaking it also. I haven’t been able to find a video or anything of anyone even using the key to get in the truck just a few where ppl point out where the key goes. Any help will be greatly appreciated
Drew145022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:57 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The key slot behind the back seat is the only regular way to pop the trunk manually. An automotive locksmith might be able to help, or if the key fragment still can rotate, a key slot lever (needle nose pliers? or lockpick tool?) might be able to turn the tumbler, but it's a very hard turn. Locksmith is probably the best way not to trash that keyslot.

With a "top not secure" error in the BCM, the trunk solenoid will almost certainly not operate. Might be able to do it with a high level OBD diagnostic tool to get around the TNS error. Not sure. Getting that backseat keyslot to turn is probably the best solution. Not sure if the cable for the trunk latch is accessible if the back seat cushion is removed, but that's easy enough to find out. The control module is accessible from the back seat, so one could probably jumper the wiring and get it sorted.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:05 AM   #3
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Have you tried the process for manually opening/closing the top? If you are able to manually operate the top into the fully opened or closed position, that may provide you with an option to operate the trunk solenoid.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:39 AM   #4
Drew145022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
The key slot behind the back seat is the only regular way to pop the trunk manually. An automotive locksmith might be able to help, or if the key fragment still can rotate, a key slot lever (needle nose pliers? or lockpick tool?) might be able to turn the tumbler, but it's a very hard turn. Locksmith is probably the best way not to trash that keyslot.

With a "top not secure" error in the BCM, the trunk solenoid will almost certainly not operate. Might be able to do it with a high level OBD diagnostic tool to get around the TNS error. Not sure. Getting that backseat keyslot to turn is probably the best solution. Not sure if the cable for the trunk latch is accessible if the back seat cushion is removed, but that's easy enough to find out. The control module is accessible from the back seat, so one could probably jumper the wiring and get it sorted.
I have enough of the key to turn with pliers. How much rotation is required is my biggest question due to that it is turning. I just don’t know if I didn’t turn enough before the break or I turned to much causing the break.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:43 AM   #5
Drew145022

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Have you tried the process for manually opening/closing the top? If you are able to manually operate the top into the fully opened or closed position, that may provide you with an option to operate the trunk solenoid.
Only thing I know how to do is push the two levers on both sides and that will allow you to pick up the back glass. Because the cargo shade is down it won’t do any automatically. If I could lift the part under the glass in front of the trunk I could reach in and pull the emergency cable.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:18 AM   #6
Gunkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew145022 View Post
I have enough of the key to turn with pliers. How much rotation is required is my biggest question due to that it is turning. I just don’t know if I didn’t turn enough before the break or I turned to much causing the break.
Trunk will pop open mechanically if you went too far, so obviously you didn't. Not surprised. I only did it once, and it was at least 1/4 turn. It took way too much torque even with the plastic key-extender to pop it (like it's a cam on the emergency cable drive). So after that I didn't bother trying again, didn't want to risk the key.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:00 PM   #7
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Maybe have someone push down on the trunk as you turn the key to take some of the pressure or weight off of the latch. I've had to use the key several times with random sensors giving messages and it has always worked.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 04:03 PM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Only thing I know how to do is push the two levers on both sides and that will allow you to pick up the back glass. Because the cargo shade is down it won’t do any automatically. If I could lift the part under the glass in front of the trunk I could reach in and pull the emergency cable.
There's a section in the manual that discusses some of the pieces. The one piece I remember is that they say to press the switch in the open direction to see if it moves at all. If not, try the close direction to see if it moves at all. If it moves, even a little, hold the button for five seconds or something like that to operate it.

If you're in a mode where only manual operation is possible (which it should say in the dash), then there's some different steps to follow along with a way to latch the roof shut if you get it fully closed.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:05 PM   #9
Drew145022

Semi good news I was out of pure luck able to get in the trunk. Driving down a road and the top not secure message kept coming up and going away. So I mashed the trunk button multiple times and it popped. I and still getting the manual operation only error but it’s a start
Old 01-10-2023, 07:35 PM   #10
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
There is a sensor behind or above the battery that monitors the top position. I managed to knock it loose the first time I replaced the battery. Had to go to the dealer to find out what was wrong. You might check to see if there are any loose wires there.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:49 PM   #11
Drew145022

Definitely a loose wire I can’t seem to get back in the trunk again. But when I go over a bumpy road it go haywire with notifications of top not secured. I hoping it will “close” so I can get back in the trunk. First thing I’ll do is figure out wire the key won’t work then figure the sensor issue. I’m wondering where all the sensors are and part number’s to get a replacement if need
Old 01-18-2023, 05:37 PM   #12
Drew145022

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
There is a sensor behind or above the battery that monitors the top position. I managed to knock it loose the first time I replaced the battery. Had to go to the dealer to find out what was wrong. You might check to see if there are any loose wires there.
I’m in the trunk and fixed the lock issue. So now I can access the trunk with the key. Didn’t know about the sensor and the battery was replaced 2 days prior. Didn’t put the top down because it was to cold. Now that I know about the sensor (Thank you GroundhogSS) I have been looking and it doesn’t seem damaged or unplugged. Still can’t get it to fully close or open. I’m stumped at the moment. Any help would still be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:12 PM   #13
Gunkk

Quote:
Any help would still be appreciated.
Check your PMs
Old 01-22-2023, 05:57 PM   #14
Drew145022