Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 12-22-2022, 10:25 AM   #29
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK121 View Post
All those quiet EV'z sitting in traffic trying to keep their passengers warm in the sub zero temps

What does this flashing light mean? Re-Charge soon
Here is a person that camped in their Tesla in -20 C ( -4 F). He found the Model 3( at the time of the video, the Model 3 used PTC heater) consumed ~2.5 kw per hour.

Assuming full charge at 78 kwh available, that is 31 hours worth of power being stranded keeping the car warm.

Again note that is with a PTC heating system. Newer Tesla's use heat pump's which consume less power so that 31 hours will be higher.

He did another test at -8 C with a newer Model 3 with the heat pump and found it consumed 1.3 kw per hour. Using that example above, that is now 60 hours worth of power sitting stranded with a full battery.

Now lets take an idling engine. Now like heat pump vs PTC, it all depends on size of the engine. But lets assume it's around 2.0 liters and a consumption of .33 gallons per hour idling. A car of the Tesla Model 3's size typically has a 12 gallon tank. That is 36 hours worth of idling with a full tank. 5 more hours than the EV with a PTC. Significantly less than an EV with a heat pump.

ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:28 AM   #30
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Tesla is clearly head and shoulders above other EV makers. Their new 18 wheeler is additional proof of that.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:46 AM   #31
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Tesla is clearly head and shoulders above other EV makers. Their new 18 wheeler is additional proof of that.
Since other manufactures require bigger batteries to get the range they achieve due to their electric motors not being as efficient as Tesla's, the amount of time they can last stranded will be longer than Tesla due to the bigger batteries. Some of those EV's also use heat pumps.

So in this stuck stranded scenario, Tesla's better technology works against them.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:56 AM   #32
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Hilarious post that I’m sure has a major tongue in cheek.

Obviously not the first cold weather for EVs.

But on the odd chance you were actually serious, the number will be far fewer than people that failed to get gas before the storm hit.
Old 12-22-2022, 11:03 AM   #33
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Primary difference is heating the car. ICE engines generate heat which is routed to the cabin. EVs do not, so they have to draw from the battery. The difference between a 12% reduction in range and a 41% reduction ins range is not a 'moot point' nor does it support your contention that EV's would last longer.

ICE vehicles will lose on average 12% of their range at -6°C (20°F) due to: Denser air leading to higher aerodynamic drag (majority of range loss) Engine and transmission friction.

http://alohonyai.blogspot.com/2014/1...l-economy.html
I guess burning fuel to generate heat doesn't factor in. My comment was about getting stranded sitting still. EV owners don't typically drive across country anyway so yeah, kind of a moot point.

Both types of vehicles have their purpose, and your example doesn't change that purpose much except for an extra charge or two required to make the trip they wouldn't be making anyway in an EV.
Old 12-22-2022, 11:06 AM   #34
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Hilarious post that I’m sure has a major tongue in cheek.

Obviously not the first cold weather for EVs.

But on the odd chance you were actually serious, the number will be far fewer than people that failed to get gas before the storm hit.
Maybe.
Electric Vehicles make up 3% of total auto sales.

https://policyadvice.net/insurance/i...ar-statistics/

So yeah you’ll see fewer people having problems with an EV, because there are a lot fewer EVs out there.
Old 12-22-2022, 11:53 AM   #35
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
It must be accounted, the effect of all the expelled hot CO2 as a greenhouse. Just EVs, it doesn't happen to legacy cars

It'd be hilarious if ol' Elon went full non-PC and added propane cabin/battery heaters, or plug-in hybrids, or (screw it) big-blocks.

Really for this thread: Dress warm enough to be outside. Have a blanket (or a reg cab pickup). Don't plan on needing heat or water soon.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 03:55 PM   #36
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
You are certainly successful at being unlikeable, but not successful at making a point.

This is literally me:

If by "rescue" you mean a tow truck, then obviously... duh. These aren't tow trucks but neither is any car. If by "rescue" we mean drive over there and give people a ride home, then yes, I'll do that in this, in snow.

Most people neglect their tire tread design and how it compares with the driving conditions at the time. Some neglect them altogether, entirely. I'll put my SS on Blizzaks up against most people with bald all season tires in an SUV any day. Especially if we're talking about icy conditions, Blizzaks are my go-to. My two fwd sedans have Weathergrip tires, which is a Blizzak tread design on an all-season compound that does really well in snow and ice (not as good as Blizzak given they are harder, but better than any other all-season i've tried).

Also, we are talking about extreme cold, not snow. Extreme cold greatly reduces the range of an EV, by a lot. Consider you can get 1/4th the range you thought you had. So "stranded" is just the equivalent of running out of gas. And yes, a Camaro can give them a ride home.
I like your style KHA!! Out there getting it done with a side bar of what’s possible.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 06:57 PM   #37
LT1gen6

Drives: '22 LT1 Coupe
Yeah, baby. 32mph on a 40mph road. . gettin' it none
LT1gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 07:00 AM   #38
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1gen6 View Post
Yeah, baby. 32mph on a 40mph road. . gettin' it none
Meanwhile yours is parked, correct?
Old 12-23-2022, 07:21 AM   #39
LT1gen6

Drives: '22 LT1 Coupe
No, it's being used to plow snow on the local roads, rescue stranded EV owners with dead batteries, and pull AWD SUVs out of ditches. . all while in sport mode, with summer compound tires, windows down, and heat off. Of course, my car has the "suspension of disbelief" option engaged, as well.
LT1gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 07:47 AM   #40
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1gen6 View Post
No, it's being used to plow snow on the local roads, rescue stranded EV owners with dead batteries, and pull AWD SUVs out of ditches. . all while in sport mode, with summer compound tires, windows down, and heat off. Of course, my car has the "suspension of disbelief" option engaged, as well.
Congratulations on being selected to join the exclusive group of users on my ignore list. I’m sure you will fit right in!!
Old 12-23-2022, 09:01 AM   #41
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
See:

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/12...ad-in-montana/

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 09:03 AM   #42
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Speaking of the cyclone bomb…
Its -10, 25 mph winds with 45 mph gusts. Wind chill around 20 - 30 below, depending on where you’re standing.