Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-28-2022, 10:16 PM   #1
persian2907

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro 1SS
Exclamation Headlights

Okay, so long story short I’ve got a 2018 SS. A few months after purchase, my light functions went out. First my passenger headlight along with one twilight, one break light and recently my driver side headlight went out too. I have two previous topics based off the same issue… yes it’s been a while. I’ve checked everything I could myself and along with others decided it was a short. Took it to the dealership to confirm and fix, only to be told of a period of 4 days minimum without the car being touched by techs (since they were so busy) and as well as the price of $250 an hour… no thanks. I haven’t even gotten to enjoy my car, for fear of getting pulled over (which has happened a lot to the point my car just sits and gathers dust. So, I came up with a solution which would be to completely bypass factory wiring… hang on with me, and set up my own wiring for the headlights. I did just that only to realize, the ballast is built into the headlight assembly so I can’t use it. Therefore my 12v is not being multiplied into whatever power the HID needs. The new HIDs wouldn’t even light up. Now that my Ted talk is over and I’ve ate at your brain long enough, my question is; would it be possible to downgrade from HID? Get halogen bulbs and stick them in there, I know there would be a few slight figment issues but nothing I can’t figure out. Just wondering if done right, would it be safe?
https://www.xenonhids.com/low-beam-h....html?i=QrBD4y
If not, do you guys recommend that I buy this HID upgrade kit for a Camaro that would come stock as halogen? In that case I would be able to take the ballast from the kit and go on with my original plan. I hope to hear from you guys soon! Happy Holidays!
Old 01-03-2023, 09:39 PM   #2
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Persian: It seems like rather than repairing the broken headlight, you are going off on a tangent to change the headlight technology to something “more basic”. You would then lose the great HID (xenon?) clarity. And then you have a non-standard headlight config. And I’m not an expert, but I bet the headlight is specifically designed for HID - ex. the reflector configuration, leveling, etc.

I had a Merc C63 with halogen after having a C300 with LEDs and wow - the LEDs were so much better.

If you don’t want to pay a dealership $250/hr (yes, that’s a lot), find an independent garage.

Perhaps tell us which city in AZ you are in, and maybe someone can recommend one. Or there is a geographic area of the Camaro6 forum that may have recommendations already. Or I would start with Yelp to find a good one.

I did this in San Jose and here in Portland - there are GREAT independents out there.

I hope this helps. And good luck to you!

(On reading again, I think you are proposing going from halogen to HID - I thought a 2SS would come with HID standard.)
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, halogen, headlights, hid, wiring