Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-21-2021, 06:39 PM   #1317
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy71 View Post
Smokin crack is safer than OEM tires in the rain...I knew that but had to try...

damn that looks super sketchy haha i would have passed
Old 12-21-2021, 06:59 PM   #1318
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Smokin crack is safer than OEM tires in the rain...I knew that but had to try...
That statement is rather alarmist and not exactly correct
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 07:03 PM   #1319
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Totally agree. I have a set of DD wheels that are supposed to double as rain tires at the track. But the best laid plans don't always work out.....

Was at VIR earlier this year and had the SCs on the car. Weather forecast was alll over the place and kept changing back and forth every couple of hours (partly sunny at the point when I had to decide which tires to run, vs rain). The day started out dry, but in the afternoon, right after I left the pits to start a session, the sky opened up and it started pouring. I thought, "OK, they say the best conditions to learn car control in are the rain, so I guess I'll make the best of it." It was simply scary. Every time I hit any kind of puddle or water running across the track, the tire voids would fill and the car would threaten to slide. At the same time, visibility was down to the point where you couldn't see the puddles before you hit them. I went WAYYYY slower than I had been in the dry. On the plus slide, PTM Wet worked well!

Last edited by N Camarolina; 12-21-2021 at 10:35 PM.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:44 AM   #1320
jeremy71

Drives: 2017 Chevy SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
It was simply scary. Every time I hit any kind of puddle or water running across the track, the tire voids would fill and the car would threaten to slide. At the same time, visibility was down to the point where you couldn't see the puddles before you hit them. I went WAYYYY slower than I had been in the dry. On the plus slide, PTM Wet worked well!
PTM Wet worked really well Sunday am with damp track...didn't matter Saturday in full rain...if you zoom in on front right tire, you can see it's pushing water...
jeremy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:46 AM   #1321
jeremy71

ZL1 add on rear spoiler actually works... barely

Ready for Victor Racing Active wing!
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #1322
TrackClub

Quote:
PTM Wet worked really well Sunday am with damp track...didn't matter Saturday in full rain...if you zoom in on front right tire, you can see it's pushing water...
Glad you got your car a try in the wet/rain. Fyi, many experienced guys here had run their 1LEs in wet weather in either PTM Race, or all off on stockers. I will not recommend it to just anyone, unless a venue permits swapping ends without wrecking a car. And of course, driver skill is absolutely key here: i cannot stress this point enough. But, to clarify, stockers do very well in the wet, as long as there is some tread left in them. No reason to smoke crack instead )

Also, as far as PTM Wet: it DOES matter tons. Anyone that thinks otherwise: please turn it off (at your own risk!) and see what happens (again, at your own risk!). Why does it matter tons? Firstly, suspension is in Touring, to provide most mechanical grip. That's the softest setting possible. Next, TSC is in its most helpful, standard setting vs competitive one, allowing little tire overslip. Lastly, ESC is set to even *beyond* its standard assist, to permit only minimal slip angles/yaw before intervening. In other words, NO other setting provides this much support to a driver. Period. Full stop.

Hope this will clarify a few things to the folks out there. Cheers and keep er the shiny side up
Old 12-22-2021, 02:33 PM   #1323
jeremy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Glad you got your car a try in the wet/rain. Fyi, many experienced guys here had run their 1LEs in wet weather in either PTM Race, or all off on stockers. I will not recommend it to just anyone, unless a venue permits swapping ends without wrecking a car. And of course, driver skill is absolutely key here: i cannot stress this point enough. But, to clarify, stockers do very well in the wet, as long as there is some tread left in them. No reason to smoke crack instead )

Also, as far as PTM Wet: it DOES matter tons. Anyone that thinks otherwise: please turn it off (at your own risk!) and see what happens (again, at your own risk!). Why does it matter tons? Firstly, suspension is in Touring, to provide most mechanical grip. That's the softest setting possible. Next, TSC is in its most helpful, standard setting vs competitive one, allowing little tire overslip. Lastly, ESC is set to even *beyond* its standard assist, to permit only minimal slip angles/yaw before intervening. In other words, NO other setting provides this much support to a driver. Period. Full stop.

Hope this will clarify a few things to the folks out there. Cheers and keep er the shiny side up
I am not that good of a driver... at least wet
Old 12-22-2021, 04:58 PM   #1324
TrackClub

Quote:
I am not that good of a driver... at least wet
Keep having fun and all the best!
Old 12-22-2021, 07:55 PM   #1325
jeremy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post

Interesting that wet ptm goes into tour mode, but that makes sense.
That being said... and the fact that my tred is probably at 50% with about 8 track days at cota and some weekend burger runs, but I just slid into turns as the track was saturated and I hydroplaned easily. These were no power, coasting turns and the car just kept going straight...would love to see ss 1Le drivers on SC3's cooking laps and maintaining control! send links... love to learn!
Old 12-22-2021, 08:38 PM   #1326
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I never track my car, but just want to add that PTM wet mode is used any time the street is wet.
Love it.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:41 PM   #1327
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
ZL1 add on rear spoiler actually works... barely

Ready for Victor Racing Active wing!
If that's what I think it is, very cool!
Old 12-22-2021, 11:48 PM   #1328
TrackClub

Quote:
Interesting that wet ptm goes into tour mode, but that makes sense.
That being said... and the fact that my tred is probably at 50% with about 8 track days at cota and some weekend burger runs, but I just slid into turns as the track was saturated and I hydroplaned easily. These were no power, coasting turns and the car just kept going straight...would love to see ss 1Le drivers on SC3's cooking laps and maintaining control! send links... love to learn!
50% of tread left at 8 track days is tons. I usually swap mine at 6-7 days. Anyhow, a few wet laps were recorded here over the years - not sure were they are now. Anyhow, it is impossible to learn car control by watching vids.
Albeit one can get a basic idea of what it takes. Cheers!
Old 01-20-2022, 01:50 AM   #1329
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Thunderhill West
Attached Images

funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:50 PM   #1330
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
VIR this past weekend. Going through "Roller Coaster." Gotta love this track!
Attached Images

N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote