Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

AWE Tuning

Old 11-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #15
Autosenses

Drives: MK7GTI, 21 Traverse
Send a message via AIM to Autosenses
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
Maybe the MR 017's in the same Gunmetal for the sleeper look...

Wonder how small I could go on the stock 1LE rims for winter tires
I'm trying to find the thread of guys comparing Gen5 zl1 and z28 wheels. The z28 wheels came in at a lighter weight but i think because of their size- 19's. As we know, those cleared the huge ceramic breaks. The only thing is looking into offsets.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...64#post8130264

this guy used z28 wheels and weighed them @ 26lbs.

Do we know the weight of the new zl1 wheel?

That could be an option?
Autosenses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:04 PM   #16
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1ce View Post
I'm trying to find the thread of guys comparing Gen5 zl1 and z28 wheels. The z28 wheels came in at a lighter weight but i think because of their size- 19's. As we know, those cleared the huge ceramic breaks. The only thing is looking into offsets.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...64#post8130264

this guy used z28 wheels and weighed them @ 26lbs.

Do we know the weight of the new zl1 wheel?

That could be an option?
I dont think it was designed with lightness in mind... the new Z28 will be announced this spring... should have info on its wheels by early summer
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:36 PM   #17
HyperBlue

Drives: 2011 MB E350 wagon
I love this concept as well, especially the Cobra seats and rear seat delete. You have lots of great ideas for this build.

I'm curious about the throttle controller...one of the only criticisms Randy Pobst had about the 1LE was that the throttle was too aggressive, not progressive enough.

Yet, the Vitesse seems to be a popular mod on 6 gen Camaros. Why do you feel it needs a sharper throttle?
Old 11-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #18
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Certainly reducing rotating mass is a good idea, (e.g. lighter wheels, driveshaft, etc.). To that end, Carbon ceramic brakes might lead to some additional weight savings, although this can be pricey, but the stopping power and life of these on the track should be a big plus. These brakes work very well when hot, so not sure how good they would be for the street.

I am really wondering what HP mods GM Performance might come out with that will not effect the warranty, as thats a long time to wait for the warranty to expire before bumping power up. There should be a CAI coming from them soon, but not sure if this will include a re-flash to tune for it.

Last edited by DFW1LE; 01-08-2017 at 08:57 AM.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #19
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
I liked where you were going with this at first too, then it got a little silly with adding Oracle LED lights and speakers but changing out lug nuts, but hey to each his own.

I'll buy your Recaro's when you get then...I call first dibbs!

BTW, the lightest lug nuts you can buy aren't Gorrilas - you want real titanium lug nuts. I've got a set and they're $200. Probably the dumbest impulse purchase I've ever made since I've never tracked the car LOL
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:37 PM   #20
aa406079

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
I liked where you were going with this at first too, then it got a little silly with adding Oracle LED lights and speakers but changing out lug nuts, but hey to each his own.

I'll buy your Recaro's when you get then...I call first dibbs!

BTW, the lightest lug nuts you can buy aren't Gorrilas - you want real titanium lug nuts. I've got a set and they're $200. Probably the dumbest impulse purchase I've ever made since I've never tracked the car LOL
Lol yeah the lights were a bit silly... just something funny to scare your friends with at night when you roll up on them ...lol

in regards to speakers... I've heard the sound quality wasn't that great with the 1SS... so to clarify I meant replace the stock speakers with lighter better sounding versions... not adding subwoofers or anything like that...

back to lightening the car...

Anyone have feedback advice on Carbon Creations/ Extreme Dimensions?

I notice their widebody SEMA 2016 concept ( NO I wont be getting the wide body components)

I'm curious on how much weight would be saved with their CF Hood and Diffuser....

http://extremedimensions.com/2016-20...d-1-Piece.html

http://extremedimensions.com/2016-20...r-1-Piece.html

I realize the diffuser would not be aerodynamically effective...and the side strake is a bit much.... but right I'm simply looking for lighter weight and havent seen any other CF diffuser products for the Gen6 ...

Not really sold on the side intakes... they look alot bigger than the componenet their supposed to replace and dont quite line up angle wise with the car's lines...

http://extremedimensions.com/2016-20...s-2-Piece.html

I don't normally like unpainted glossy CF but I think with it will match the Gunmetal 1LE wheels and the hood wrap look of the 1LE.

( I wonder how much weight the hood wrap adds to the car...? I would imagine not much and could always wrap the components if they were to out flashy)

Last edited by aa406079; 11-28-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #21
aa406079

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1ce View Post
I came back to add to my last post...

The 1le wheels are perfect but going to 19inch light wheels would go a long way. You would also save weight on a smaller tires too.

I would say your pretty much at the 3500-3600lbs range with what you listed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlue View Post
I love this concept as well, especially the Cobra seats and rear seat delete. You have lots of great ideas for this build.

I'm curious about the throttle controller...one of the only criticisms Randy Pobst had about the 1LE was that the throttle was too aggressive, not progressive enough.

Yet, the Vitesse seems to be a popular mod on 6 gen Camaros. Why do you feel it needs a sharper throttle?

I've heard great things about its streetability... I agree on the track you want a more progressive throttle... the Vitesse can be fine tuned and one setting is completely off...

What Randy is talking about is how abruptly it responds to a small amount of pedal movement... yet a lot of folks to about a INITIAL DELAY in response from the pedal moving to throttle increasing... perhaps this is something only tuning will fix down the line.

Ultimately you want instance response when you first push the gas pedal but a gradual ramping up as you continue to depress the pedal thru it's full range...
Old 11-29-2016, 12:50 AM   #22
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Drives: 1Lap1LE | EV6 FE | 18 F150
Quote:
The idea is a car coming close to non-Z07 Corvette GS handling at a great value with $$$ left over

Goals

-Save $40,000 by ordering a 1LE Camaro SS instead of a 2LT Corvette Grand Sport.
Basically the reasons I did a 1LE over a GS, and what I want to do with mine.
Will keep an eye on this.
'22 Kia EV6 First Edition
'18 RS3 (1 of 2) Cumulus Blue
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
RideZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:48 AM   #23
LesBaer
FMPG

Quote:
Lol yeah the lights were a bit silly... just something funny to scare your friends with at night when you roll up on them ...lol

in regards to speakers... I've heard the sound quality wasn't that great with the 1SS... so to clarify I meant replace the stock speakers with lighter better sounding versions... not adding subwoofers or anything like that...

back to lightening the car...

Anyone have feedback advice on Carbon Creations/ Extreme Dimensions?

I notice their widebody SEMA 2016 concept ( NO I wont be getting the wide body components)

I'm curious on how much weight would be saved with their CF Hood and Diffuser....

http://extremedimensions.com/2016-20...d-1-Piece.html

http://extremedimensions.com/2016-20...r-1-Piece.html

I realize the diffuser would not be aerodynamically effective...and the side strake is a bit much.... but right I'm simply looking for lighter weight and havent seen any other CF diffuser products for the Gen6 ...

Not really sold on the side intakes... they look alot bigger than the componenet their supposed to replace and dont quite line up angle wise with the car's lines...

http://extremedimensions.com/2016-20...s-2-Piece.html

I don't normally like unpainted glossy CF but I think with it will match the Gunmetal 1LE wheels and the hood wrap look of the 1LE.

( I wonder how much weight the hood wrap adds to the car...? I would imagine not much and could always wrap the components if they were to out flashy)
WOW, I'm in love with those parts, great find! I hope I don't start crying when I see the price lol.

Honestly though, before you go and spend a ton of money I'd really reevaluate your goals. Ask yourself - are you really going to track the car that seriously that a few extra pounds from FI will disrupt your plans? I'm not an expert on racing regulations, but there are certain classes for competitive racing that require you to remaining stock. The car is also going to get trashed if you race it, so you're going to pour all this money into these fantastic parts into a brand new car that will look like it's over 5 years old after one year. Lastly, you're going to kill the resale value of the 1LE. Look at the used car market for gen5 Camaros and you'll see that the gen5 1LE fetches a premium - but only if it's stock.

If you're not going to primarily track it, the best bang for your buck is to go forced induction and replace those run flats with better tires. I'd replace the tires anyway, regardless. I went with Pilot Super Sports and they're unbelievable, but just about anything high-end will be an improvement if you're going to focus on performance. Even with the weight of super charger up front I'm able to pull over a 1g in my car and haven't even been able to make my tires squeal around a tight turn. The 1LE would have done so much better in its head to head vs. the M4 if it had comparable rubber so don't forget about that. If you are going to track it, I'd go with Sport Cup 2's, but Pilot Super Sports will last longer if you DD.

A lot of what you're adding to the car are bells and whistles to make the 1LE more livable as a DD (lights, speakers, blind spot, nav, etc.). Trust me, there's nothing more enjoyable on the street than a positive displacement blower. They're very reliable with zero maintenance and provide instant torque whenever you need it, in any gear. Look at how much more power you'll have under the curve on the dyno graphs. Once you add it, you can dial up the boost by just changing a pulley and fuel pump to get yourself up to 600-650rwhp - safely. With headers, a cam, and new injectors, you can dial it up to 700-750rwhp before needing to change to forged pistons and rods. You've probably got an 850rwhp ceiling with something like that if you go all the way, but even at the stock boost level it's amazing.

Just some things to think about before you go and spend a ton of $. I did almost the same thing as you, but I started with an SS and ordered it with as many of the 1LE features as I could, then added the rest myself with the exception of the ELSD, Recaros and PDR. The ELSD is great tech, but you're not going to notice the difference between a mechanical limited slip differential if you're not on a track. Same goes for the specially tuned mag ride vs. the standard mag ride. I do the same farms roads that I did before and after adding the SC and you barely notice the extra weight up front.

Go test drive a new ZL1 or Z06 Corvette before you do anything so you can see what it's like...all that extra power will change your mind

Edit - I looked at those parts and they're very gaudy...way too over the top for me. I also saw one of those throttle controllers referenced. Those things are a cheap hack from ebay. If you're serious about what you're doing, getting your car professionally tuned is the way to go. Throttle controllers, ported throttle bodies and air intakes won't do anything - especially without a tune. Even with a tune, you're looking at minimal gains.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

Last edited by LesBaer; 11-29-2016 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:27 AM   #24
aa406079

I agree the parts look gaudy... with the aluminum hood, they would have to surprise me with worthwhile weight savings which I'm doubful of... I would consider the diffuser since GM just put cheap plastic back there anyway....

The plan for this car is a DD for the first few years... then slowly turn it into a full track car... I will be living within 20 minutes of Area 27, the new racetrack in Oliver, BC...

If you havent heard of it yet... you will soon... its an amazing course...

I'm going the other way from the ZL1.... I like to keep that weight down as my first choice of car was the Grand Sport... I'm not at all interested in the regular C7 nor the Z51.

Also, even if I was interested in the ZL1... the CANADIAN allocation for the ZL1 is 50 cars.

50 cars... for the whole country....
Old 11-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #25
LesBaer
FMPG

Quote:
I agree the parts look gaudy... with the aluminum hood, they would have to surprise me with worthwhile weight savings which I'm doubful of... I would consider the diffuser since GM just put cheap plastic back there anyway....

The plan for this car is a DD for the first few years... then slowly turn it into a full track car... I will be living within 20 minutes of Area 27, the new racetrack in Oliver, BC...

If you havent heard of it yet... you will soon... its an amazing course...

I'm going the other way from the ZL1.... I like to keep that weight down as my first choice of car was the Grand Sport... I'm not at all interested in the regular C7 nor the Z51.

Also, even if I was interested in the ZL1... the CANADIAN allocation for the ZL1 is 50 cars.

50 cars... for the whole country....
Yeah I liked the diffuser too until I saw those giant fins on the side of it. The plastic we have is cheap looking but it's still lighter than adding the CF piece from that site.

I'm not saying you should buy a ZL1, I'm recommending that you test drive a ZL1 or a Z06 so you can see how little weight impacts the handling and feel the extra power you get. Just because a car has a forced induction doesn't mean it isn't capable on a track. A C7 Z06 for example will destroy a C7 Grand Sport. You can buy a 1LE then add a SC and get the car professionally tuned.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:31 AM   #26
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
LesBaer makes some great points.

I would adjust your plan a little.

Throw out the ideas of light weight body parts. CF stuff thats currently on the market is 1-2 pound savings in place of its aluminum counterpart. Real light weight stuff CF is going to cost your 2-3X those prices and will be brittle and probably not fit as well as stock.

If you want to go lighter, Get yourself a race seat and harness bar for track days and look at a lighter wheel option. Remove the seats and install your race seat for track days and bolt on your light weight wheels with better compound. That will easily hit your 100 pound reduction goal right there without sacrificing the DD ability of the car. If you want to drop an extra 20 the battery is not a bad idea but your cost per pound saved starts to become a stretch.

When it comes to power, Ported stock intake/TB, Rotofab and some headers with a good e85 track tune and your looking at 50-75 horsepower increase over stock while still keeping the good street manners.

I dont agree with changing the suspension of the 1LE, the car has been dialed in by GM already and they forgot more than any of us think we know. Poly and rod end stuff is in constant need of attention and loud and clanky on the street (been there done that).

Add some of the 2SS goodies you want, they wont affect weight.

The rest of the money that you saved would be more wisely spent on driving school and track days. Good luck!
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #27
LesBaer
FMPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
LesBaer makes some great points.

I would adjust your plan a little.

Throw out the ideas of light weight body parts. CF stuff thats currently on the market is 1-2 pound savings in place of its aluminum counterpart. Real light weight stuff CF is going to cost your 2-3X those prices and will be brittle and probably not fit as well as stock.

If you want to go lighter, Get yourself a race seat and harness bar for track days and look at a lighter wheel option. Remove the seats and install your race seat for track days and bolt on your light weight wheels with better compound. That will easily hit your 100 pound reduction goal right there without sacrificing the DD ability of the car. If you want to drop an extra 20 the battery is not a bad idea but your cost per pound saved starts to become a stretch.

When it comes to power, Ported stock intake/TB, Rotofab and some headers with a good e85 track tune and your looking at 50-75 horsepower increase over stock while still keeping the good street manners.

I dont agree with changing the suspension of the 1LE, the car has been dialed in by GM already and they forgot more than any of us think we know. Poly and rod end stuff is in constant need of attention and loud and clanky on the street (been there done that).

Add some of the 2SS goodies you want, they wont affect weight.

The rest of the money that you saved would be more wisely spent on driving school and track days. Good luck!
Thanks. I think for him it all comes down to what's more important - his DD/comfort needs vs. track and NA vs. FI. T

The battery is something I forgot to mention. I did look into this for my car a few months ago and the real expensive lightweight batteries cause problems. I don't have specifics, but one shop I spoke to told me they tried multiple lightweight batteries in their test car and they had a lot of issues. They told me to stay away from it all, but I don't know for sure what the problems were.

If he wants to stay NA, look at Fraxum's car on the forum. He went with the MSD Atomic intake manifold and some other things along with a tune and got some decent gains...I'm pretty sure he didn't get an additional 100rwhp, but it's probably as good as you're going to get staying NA. I have no idea why people want to stay NA when you can track this car perfectly fine with a blower and it's a rocket ship.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:40 AM   #28
Donner

Drives: 2017 50th SS convertible
Hello,

The shipping weights on the GM 1LE rims were 28 and 29 pounds (front and rear respectively). For comparison, the knock offs cite 35 & 36 for shipping.

Kindest,

Donner
Donner is offline   Reply With Quote