Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 10-04-2022, 04:52 PM   #1
jeffyhopper

Drives: toyota camry
LT1 Convertible, grippy 245mm tires VS updrade to wider rims/tire

First of all, I used the search function for the forum already regarding the rim/tire option. However, there is not much info from the perspective of a convertible owner. Thus, I think this is a good place to ask for your opinions, and thank you for your input ahead of time!

(1)LT1 (V8) convertible comes with all season 245mm tires on 4 corners, I am wondering how bad this would be for some back road/curvy fun in California? No plans for tracking the car.

(2) Assuming I will take the route of upgrading the grip of the LT1 vert down the road. Will swapping for grippy summer tires at 245mm over all 4 corners a good enough options (considering the vert will not be used on track)? In other words, I am not sure going for the SS 245F/275R summer tire setup (with at least 2 new wider rear rims) an overkill, considering a vert is unlikely to be tracked?
jeffyhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 02:59 PM   #2
ABED73

Drives: 2023 LT1 convertible
I have a similar question.
I have a 2023 LT1 convertible with similar spec'd tires. 245/40R20 all-season Goodyear eagle, run-flat tires

No plans to go the track, but I do like taking the car on winding curvy back country roads.
I was thinking of purchasing a 2nd set of tires and rims. Maybe SS tires Goodyear® Eagle® F1 245/40ZR20 front and 275/35ZR20 rear blackwall, summer-only run-flat tires.
Is it worth it? will it make a big difference in handling and grip? I only drive it in the summer.
ABED73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:47 AM   #3
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABED73 View Post
I have a similar question.
I have a 2023 LT1 convertible with similar spec'd tires. 245/40R20 all-season Goodyear eagle, run-flat tires

No plans to go the track, but I do like taking the car on winding curvy back country roads.
I was thinking of purchasing a 2nd set of tires and rims. Maybe SS tires Goodyear® Eagle® F1 245/40ZR20 front and 275/35ZR20 rear blackwall, summer-only run-flat tires.
Is it worth it? will it make a big difference in handling and grip? I only drive it in the summer.
Save your money and skip the F1 runflats. Most people here hate those tires (the stock SS F1's). Your best bet would be a set of SS wheels (8.5" fronts and 9.5" rears) and either stock SS tire sizes 245/275, or you can go up to 265/295 on SS wheels with no problem. You will get better grip by ditching the all-seasons for sure. Most folks here like the Michelin PS4-S's or the Continental DWS06. Lots of info here that the PS4-S's are a true "3-season" tire with very good wet grip, whereas the OEM GY F1's are really bad in any wet conditions. I'm not far from you here in MI, and don't drive my car in winter either. I ditched the GY F1's in case I have to drive in the wet, and have a set of NEXEN all-seasons that came with a set of wheels I bought for now, but I'm going to get the PS4-S's at some point.

And you don't need runflats. Rougher ride and not worth the extra $$, IMO. Put together a flat repair kit and just count on a tow if it's not fixable roadside, which is what you'd be doing if you shred a runflat beyond just a nail or screw hole.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:31 AM   #4
ABED73

Drives: 2023 LT1 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Save your money and skip the F1 runflats. Most people here hate those tires (the stock SS F1's). Your best bet would be a set of SS wheels (8.5" fronts and 9.5" rears) and either stock SS tire sizes 245/275, or you can go up to 265/295 on SS wheels with no problem. You will get better grip by ditching the all-seasons for sure. Most folks here like the Michelin PS4-S's or the Continental DWS06. Lots of info here that the PS4-S's are a true "3-season" tire with very good wet grip, whereas the OEM GY F1's are really bad in any wet conditions. I'm not far from you here in MI, and don't drive my car in winter either. I ditched the GY F1's in case I have to drive in the wet, and have a set of NEXEN all-seasons that came with a set of wheels I bought for now, but I'm going to get the PS4-S's at some point.

And you don't need runflats. Rougher ride and not worth the extra $$, IMO. Put together a flat repair kit and just count on a tow if it's not fixable roadside, which is what you'd be doing if you shred a runflat beyond just a nail or screw hole.

Thanks for the Tip TP2SS. I will look into the PS4S.
Can't wait until May. I can hear that engine call me now .

I'm still at 500 miles and not yet reached the 1500 Miles break in Period.
car showed up in the Fall, so tires are still brand new. I will probably use the stock all season for out state cruises and the the high preforming tires for summer spirited driving.

do you recommend 19" or 20" for better performance?
ABED73 is offline   Reply With Quote