Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-21-2022, 12:00 AM   #1
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
Opinions on MAACO

I need to get bumper painted after a hit and run.
Anyone ever use MAACO for a quick fix ?
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 04:45 AM   #2
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
I’ve used them but only for a scuff and shoot. They are capable of doing great work, you just need to let them know you’re after perfection. Maaco did my Hijet for $499, whole truck, no color change. Lots of imperfections because it was a $500 job.

I’m also one of those idiots that didn’t latch their roof panel on my Z06. Maaco wouldn’t touch it. Took it to a local, non-Chevy dealer, who used to handle all the insurance business in our area. Charged me $400 and it was perfect.
Attached Images

2005 CTS-V SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2010 CTS-V SOLD
2012 CTS-V coupe SOLD
2013 ZL1 vert SOLD
2016 Callaway Z06 SOLD
2019 Z06 SOLD

"I lived my life by one motto.......mottos are for losers" cvp33
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 08:14 AM   #3
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Maaco is not a good idea for a long term deal, the paint will flake and chip later.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:13 AM   #4
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I would imagine that experience will be varied based on the expertise level and attention to detail provided by each franchisee. Just like all Chevy dealers are not cut from the same cloth. I used a Detroit area MAACO to color change my 1991 Toyota MR2 from red to orange / nightfall grey metallic and had mixed results. I wanted the new paint to be the Yang to my Camaro Fifty’s Yin. They did a very good job matching the colors using the GM color codes I provided them and their coverage, paint thickness, and consistency across the car was on point. The detail of the paint pattern I gave them was also very good.

The not-so-good was overspray into the engine compartment and a faint palm print in the nightfall grey metallic on the driverside sail panel. They buffed out the palm print immediately when I pointed it out. Almost forgot…the paint on the chin spoiler chipped off under a high pressure spray the first time I washed the car. They fixed it with no issue and it hasn’t been an issue since.

Here’s the MR2 on the day I bought it and as it sits today, post MAACO color change. The chin damage in the photo below is not due to the MAACO issue. It’s a self-inflected wound involving not completely respecting a speed bump.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:33 AM   #5
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Like the above poster said not all Maaco's are the same. It really depends on the person doing the job. That being said I’ve found that recent Maaco prices are actually not much (or any) cheaper than having it done at an independent body shop.

My advice is get quotes from multiple places. Also look at reviews HOWEVER try to spot reviews from people with sports cars/car guys. People who get into accidents that aren’t car guys or gals can’t really tell the difference between a good or bad paint job. Most reviews you’ll see for shops are reviews from people getting their cars fixed after an accident who aren’t car people so you’ll have to go through all the reviews of the shops you are looking at.

One other thing, you mentioned this is for a bumper. BEFORE getting the work done look at your car hard from multiple angles. You’ll notice that the bumper and the fenders aren’t actually a perfect match. The reason I’m bringing this up is because you’re specifically going to look for this after the job gets done and then when you discover they aren’t perfectly matching you’ll be upset when in reality they already aren’t matching perfectly. This is very noticeable on specific metallic colors like gray, silver and blue on Camaros.

Last edited by m6-lt1; 12-21-2022 at 10:06 AM.
m6-lt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 11:46 AM   #6
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I would imagine that experience will be varied based on the expertise level and attention to detail provided by each franchisee. Just like all Chevy dealers are not cut from the same cloth. I used a Detroit area MAACO to color change my 1991 Toyota MR2 from red to orange / nightfall grey metallic and had mixed results. I wanted the new paint to be the Yang to my Camaro Fifty’s Yin. They did a very good job matching the colors using the GM color codes I provided them and their coverage, paint thickness, and consistency across the car was on point. The detail of the paint pattern I gave them was also very good.

The not-so-good was overspray into the engine compartment and a faint palm print in the nightfall grey metallic on the driverside sail panel. They buffed out the palm print immediately when I pointed it out. Almost forgot…the paint on the chin spoiler chipped off under a high pressure spray the first time I washed the car. They fixed it with no issue and it hasn’t been an issue since.

Here’s the MR2 on the day I bought it and as it sits today, post MAACO color change. The chin damage in the photo below is not due to the MAACO issue. It’s a self-inflected wound involving not completely respecting a speed bump.
Bro, that thing is sick. One of my bucket list cars I want to collect.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:17 PM   #7
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
Guys

THANK YOU so much for your detailed responses. I was pretty stressed about this but feel better after reading everyone's input.

This forum has some great people on it.
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops