Phastek Performance

Old 01-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #15
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSovereign View Post
How do you drift
Turn the engine off, pull the sails down and pull up the anchor.

You'll drift......
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #16
SSDanny

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
Quote:
So from my understanding..
1. Accelerate
2. Smash the clutch and turn slightly
3. Release the clutch, counter turn and accelerate some more?

(what gears, rpms, do I smash the clutch at to start turning?)
And yes I'll be doing this in Snow since I live in Canada
Depends. Anywhere from 20-40mph, 1st gear is good if you're comfortable shifting to 2nd mid drift.

Do some donuts, it'll give you the best idea.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #17
Mattzkatz

Drives: Not yet, but soon
Quote:
And yes I'll be doing this in Snow since I live in Canada
If you're starting in the snow you won't need to worry about the clutch or rpms ... the snow will give more than enough resistance to traction that you'll have absolutely no issues with drifting. Just find an open parking lot (where it won't be an issue with public or police) and go play. If it were me I'd start on snow, then play on wet/rainy parking lots and get the feel of how the car responds before attempting to do it on dry pavement where clutch and rpm comes into play. Things happen much faster and more unpredictable on dry pavement for a "learner" compared to how it happens on snow/wet pavement IMO.
Mattzkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #18
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
Come to NH I can teach you
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #19
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
And the first word that came into MY mind..... Carefully.

Saw a kid with a new Mustang "drift" his right into a light pole stanchion several years back. He was near suicidal. The car was like 3 days old.

My suggestion is a BIG parking lot.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 11:34 AM   #20
Thestormoverkrynn

Drives: Camaro Zl1
Skid pad

So not sure where in Canada you are, but if you are anywhere close to toronto, in Bowmanville CTMP has a skid pad.. How to gain access or get in there to practice i have no idea... It was really a pain to even get on the DDT track for a couple of laps had to sign up for an OTA meet just to gain access. Shame that TMP in Cayuga doesn't have a skid pad. But they do have drifting days.. And the guys there have been extremely helpful. So maybe head out to cayuga on a day where u know they have the drift cars and ask some questions. CTMP for some reason requires you to be a part of some event.. But if u find a way to get onto that skid pad, in bowmanville, please let me know as i'd love to attend. Also I need you in my life!! It seems you may be close and have the same passion... Ie your car is not a garage queen... I regularly attend TMP and various events at CTMP and would love to have another camaro to lign up against/ compare my camaro too.. 4169028867 call me! Also TMP has snow track days, winter tires a must tho. Not advocating you do that, LOL i put mine away in the winter, as just getting to cayuga from toronto can be dangerous in the winter!

Andrew

Last edited by Thestormoverkrynn; 11-30-2023 at 11:55 AM.
Thestormoverkrynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 06:58 PM   #21
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
If you want to learn to drift safely, then ignore what some have said above ("stomp the gas and you're good to go") and do the following:

1) Add ~5 PSI to the rear tires relative to the front

2) Find yourself a large unobstructed parking lot (no islands or poles anywhere close) or track facility skidpad

3) Start driving the car in 2nd gear (if M6) in a 50-75 ft diameter circle at about 25-30 mph. Speed should be just short of point where the car starts to understeer. Keep the steering angle steady.

4) Lift off the throttle abruptly and fully.

5) When you feel the weight of the car shifting to the front, stab the throttle about 25% (or the least amount that is required) and the rear will lose traction and start to rotate.

6) As soon as you start to feel the rear stepping out, immediately dial in counter-steer (don't ***** foot around with adding the counter-steer) and keep the throttle setting where it was when you stabbed it to knock the back end out. You are trying to put in just the right amount of counter-steer to stop the rotation.

7) At this point the car will be continuing around the circle with the back end hanging out (you're drifting!!). You'll want just enough throttle to keep the back wheels from regaining traction and moving the car forward at a constant speed.

The speed and throttle position I mentioned were based on me driving my car on a wet skidpad. The values you'll need will differ a bit from that depending on asphalt surface, wet or dry, tires you're using, and the Camaro variant you are driving. But experiment a little and you'll figure it out. Good luck!
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote