Phastek Performance

Old 06-14-2022, 09:35 PM   #351
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Me either.

I'll be honest... I've stated I thought there was, what I thought, a similar issue in the past. And - I know I've stated part of that was because the DRs' treads were balling up and I was driving on marbles as a result (and Thank You King' for that one). And all that is still true. But something I haven't really been able to confirm has been bugging me, and I don't know how to confirm it other than drive the car in a way that makes me very uncomfortable, and I'm not that interested to experiment.

I SWEAR, that at least a few times, I caught my steering input, perhaps, at least contributing to the sway. I could feel and watch the steering wheel oscillate right and left, slightly, and that, obviously, the car would be swaying in those directions. I can remember that times when I literally "bear'd down" and locked the steering wheel with my locked arms (and didn't allow the steering wheel to oscillate), that the car drove a LOT more straight, and the DRs squished around only a tiny bit. It was almost like the DRs would induce the tiny bit of sway, and that would cause my body (being in the car) to start to sway slightly, and then because I'm swaying the my arms aren't holding the steering wheel straight, and start exacerbating the sway from my body, exacerbating the sway from the car swaying, exacerbating the tiny bit of DR sway, then pretty much making the car undriveable because I'm a dumb@$$.

All that to say: I don't know that this many cars could be having this many issues on their own, and that I'm fairly confident that I know of at least one instance where the driver, certainly, wasn't helping the situation. I know on the OEM tires this is not nearly a problem, but traction sure is. The DRs bite just fine now, but that problem still remains, and it just feels like it's because I'm not locking the steering wheel straight.

JMO...
Honestly I recall I caught my self a couple times on the stock tires feeling as if I was the contributing factor. Probably easy to snowball the stock tires on crappy street pavements getting speeds.. just so much feel that the wiggle starts to snowball into a noticeable sway. Part user input/part mechanical input

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:46 PM   #352
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Yeah you’re dreaming if you think any modern car is coming out of the factory in perfect alignment. They are eye balled my friends. You’re lucky the wheel is straight 5 out of 10 cars. Get a real alignment and some decent tires and revel in the difference. Then laugh at all the morons here telling you the entire rear cradle is moving around. Ahahahaba.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:24 AM   #353
900RFWN

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 1LE
I’ve had the sway since the car was new. Took it to Texas Track Works for an alignment and drove straight as an arrow. Then it came time to replace the rear tires and it’s back to swaying again. So one minute no sway 30 minutes later after leaving Discount Tire with a new set of rears sway again. Both sets were Continental Extreme Contact Sport in the same size. Eventually I’ll have Texas Track Works put in some BMR or SPL goodies and a new alignment. Hopefully that helps.
900RFWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:43 AM   #354
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
Yeah you’re dreaming if you think any modern car is coming out of the factory in perfect alignment. They are eye balled my friends. You’re lucky the wheel is straight 5 out of 10 cars. Get a real alignment and some decent tires and revel in the difference. Then laugh at all the morons here telling you the entire rear cradle is moving around. Ahahahaba.
#Clueless.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:53 AM   #355
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
#Clueless.
#asif

SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:50 AM   #356
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
They aren't eye-balled. There's even a video of the Camaro plant, and there is a short shot of them aligning a car, with the tires rolling, while aligning with a machine.

If you don't think the rubber bushings in the rear cradle don't allow the cradle to squish around, I present this evidence:

If you know what you're looking at, and understand what is moving in THIS video, this will further support cradle movement:

I'm sure I'll regret spending more time replying, but, maybe for some new people to the car, or even for people who didn't even know about this phenomenon, here's something to look at. This was a stock-power SS, too, if I understand correctly.

Having replaced my OEM bushings with ZLE bushings, I can attest that the rear bushings have HUGE voids, and I believe that either the front or rear bushings are hydraulic. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected, but I can say from experience, that there's plenty of reason why you can see the cradle squish around on the OEM non-ZLE bushings. I know my car feels a lot better after the install, but I won't suggest the improvement I have is all in the bushings, because I replaced a the arms in the rear, and added cradle braces at the same time I replaced the bushings, so there's full transparency.

IMO - anything you can do to fill those voids, if you have any interest in this (and I'm not suggesting you should - it's your car, and your money), you should try to do. Another alternative, though I'm slightly dubious, is filling the void with a silicone or other similar-type product. I guess this was a method in the past, but I'd stick with specifically-designed bushings, IMO. Maybe I'll try that for the diff', lol...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:36 AM   #357
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I have been reading about this issue for 3 years now. With my recent build I also installed the BMR lockout kit. The car does handle sway better but, I still detect some. Also understand adding >200 HP also changes things. Going to get alignment anyway and it has new PS4S's.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:32 PM   #358
JD64

Drives: '19 Camaro ZL1 A10 Riverside Blue
just installed a BMR rear cradle lock out kit, BMR adjustable rear toe rods and a alignment, front left and rear left toe was slightly off. pretty big improvement ,much more stable with stock horse power.
Old 07-04-2022, 04:04 AM   #359
Akura

Drives: ´18 ZL1 A10 Red Hot 😍
Don´t know if it's replied, but the left drive shaft is smaller but wider than right one. Maybe if the alignment is not correctly this could maximize the problem too.

Akura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:55 AM   #360
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura View Post
Don´t know if it's replied, but the left drive shaft is smaller but wider than right one. Maybe if the alignment is not correctly this could maximize the problem too.
Shaft diameter variation is for mitigating wheel-hop (reduces dynamic torsion resonance), and has nothing to do with the aforementioned side to side stability.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:52 PM   #361
Akura

Drives: ´18 ZL1 A10 Red Hot 😍
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Shaft diameter variation is for mitigating wheel-hop (reduces dynamic torsion resonance), and has nothing to do with the aforementioned side to side stability.

Akura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:20 AM   #362
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
My 23 has the wiggle feeling. Seen it on my OE summer SC3's (MRR 228), and my winter set of Alpin PA4 (275/35 and 285/35) on OE ZL1 Wheels.
Seen it all environmental conditions, same road that was repaved two years ago. It's not loose of breaking traction, but it feels unsteady, a rapid L/R sensation from the rear, like it wants to break loose and that's what it makes you think is about to happen. I've been cautiously staying in it WOT.
I see it most when passing a car at 60, I pull out and go about half throttle to get a few gears downshift and then as I'm straight I go WOT. Seems to be in that few seconds of >60mph.

I'm certain I had this in my 18 1LE in the same conditions, same feeling.

Chassis is all stock.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:03 AM   #363
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
My 23 has the wiggle feeling. Seen it on my OE summer SC3's (MRR 228), and my winter set of Alpin PA4 (275/35 and 285/35) on OE ZL1 Wheels.
Seen it all environmental conditions, same road that was repaved two years ago. It's not loose of breaking traction, but it feels unsteady, a rapid L/R sensation from the rear, like it wants to break loose and that's what it makes you think is about to happen. I've been cautiously staying in it WOT.
I see it most when passing a car at 60, I pull out and go about half throttle to get a few gears downshift and then as I'm straight I go WOT. Seems to be in that few seconds of >60mph.

I'm certain I had this in my 18 1LE in the same conditions, same feeling.

Chassis is all stock.
Maybe I admitted it in this thread a while back, but I'll say it again, just in case:

I thought this was happening to me, too. The car did it from the day I brought him home. It was worse the more power I added. I added ZLE solid cradle bushing, and pretty much everything that fits from BMR on the rear (all rod ends), and it didn't help

It was me... Literally - I was inducing almost all of it. I'll concede that the DRs contributed a little, but I think the car would START a VERY small oscillation, and the inertia pushed my body into the oscillation, and next thing I knew, is I realized I was watching my steering wheel oscillate. Pretty much as soon as I focused on keeping the wheel steady and straight: almost ALL of that sway went away. Nearly 100%.

I'm not saying you're a fool like me, but maybe give it a little extra attention next time, and see. I think JRE found that one of his rear tires had belts in the threads that were coming apart (you couldn't see it from the outside).

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 11:43 AM   #364
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I keep dabbling with it because I WOT this thing almost every day I just can't see that it's driver induced. Almost confident enough to go to TRACK - PTM Race and see if it's still there as in some manner of stabilitrak or TCS that might still be showing itself or in the eLSD program.
Just as soon as I say it's just a feeling and power through it is when I'll wreck it
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote