Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-20-2022, 08:30 PM   #141
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAOLDGUY View Post
This is an excellent response. I fully intend to use your video game analogy as that is probably the most applicable have seen to date. I've only had one muscle car with an automatic. I was 15 when I purchased that car (1970 Challenger R/T - 440 - 46 years ago) and I remember wishing it had a 4 speed. I sold it when I was in college and the guy put a 4 speed in the car. Go figure...
He did nail it with that response, however I found a lot of enjoyment with the 10L90 (ZL1 version) simply for the performance tune part. If you haven't run a few sessions on a road track with it you really won't understand. Manually shifting is just a gimmick to me and not something you would do with 10 gears but being able to hold the left paddle and downshift like it does is pretty handy to get RPMs up and stay in auto mode.

All that said... I did give up the A10 for an M6 and very happy with that choice for the reasons he stated.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:30 PM   #142
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
There are no auto trannies in formula D
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 07:17 PM   #143
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
Formula D is an awe inspiring ability... but is it really driving or stunting? (I know I might be stirring here Oh, and +1 for 6spds all day long!
With the rev match feature and Hurst's short shifter (and the awesome LT1) it is a wet dream on wheels, IMHO!

Last edited by Ventmaster; 05-06-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 01:21 PM   #144
Corbs09

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
You can't really compare drifting to any other form of motorsport. Its more of a judged gymnastics type thing...
Corbs09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:09 PM   #145
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Two more cents...

I have owned both autos and manuals over the years. I love the engagement of a manual but when it came to the ZL1 I went with the A10 since I heard so such great things about it.

- The M6 gearing specifically for the ZL1 is really tall, which kind of makes it harder to wind out the gears on the street so you are pretty much short shifting all the time. The ZL1 hits 60mph in 1st gear, 80+ in 2nd. It is really geared for a road track, which is great but the gearing is not as fun on the street. This is one of the main reasons I went with the A10 in the ZL1.

- The A10 is very good, definitely not as engaging as a manual, but definitely a very good automatic. This transmission will also adapt to how to drive. It knows to hold gears when I start taking turns a little quicker, upshift while keeping rpm up braking hard. If I am driving in a spirited manner it will hold gears until it senses me calm down.

When the mood strikes, you just blip the throttle and it goes into performance shift mode and it gets pretty aggressive with hold the rpm up over 4k and auto rev matches the down shifts as you brake. It doesn't quite replace the fun of a manual but it pretty cool.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote