Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 10-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
Exgermanowner

Drives: Bone stock
New Sport Cup2 NO's and Bridgestone S007A's

I know two different tires, but was wondering if anyone has mounted them up in the ZLE spec's ?

The NO's are supposed to stay consistent vs falling off like the current Cup 2's.
They are listed as Porsche specific on Tire Rack, but from what I read the specs would work on our cars.

the Bridgestone is interesting and just wondering if they are a good 'bargin" track tire that perform decently, but obviously are cheap as hell. they are supposed to slot right under the RE71's, but technology has changed such that it may be just as good.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Yeah- running N Spec Cup 2’s in OE sizes on the ZLE. They’re terrific tires, they are both Porsche developed rear tires for the 997 GT3 (305/30 19), and 997 GT2 (325/30 19). They are wearing like iron too. Excellent road tires that do great on track too.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
Exgermanowner

Drives: Bone stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Yeah- running N Spec Cup 2’s in OE sizes on the ZLE. They’re terrific tires, they are both Porsche developed rear tires for the 997 GT3 (305/30 19), and 997 GT2 (325/30 19). They are wearing like iron too. Excellent road tires that do great on track too.
Considering your experience and lap times, I guess I know which tires I'll be mounting up come Spring.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2018, 11:05 PM   #4
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Fyi i ran a combo of Pcar and Bimmer spec Cup2s on my car last year and i corded LF in 5+ days with 2.6 F camber. I was also not any faster on them vs RE71R or stock G3s. Just another data point as Cups cost a true bundle in comparison to the other 2 excellent choices.
Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
VIRBound

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Do you notice any change with how your car handled on the Cup2s vs. OE?

I switched from the stock tires on my ZL1 1LE to the Cup 2s in OE sizing, and have noticed that the car is very unstable during hard acceleration. At first I suspected it was just less traction, but I notice the whole car will wander left/right even at speed. A great example is 4-5 shift on back straight at VIR, I have to white knuckle the steering wheel to keep the car from moving all over the track.

With how much the Porsche guys rave about these tires, I am at a loss for why they feel the way they do for me.
VIRBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
Snrub

Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exgermanowner View Post
the Bridgestone is interesting and just wondering if they are a good 'bargin" track tire that perform decently, but obviously are cheap as hell. they are supposed to slot right under the RE71's, but technology has changed such that it may be just as good.
Tire Rack's testing suggests they're not as fast, but presumably their 240TW rating is semi-honest, whereas the 200TW are not. I believe RS4s are the current enduring racing favorite in that class of tire.
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #7
Try2paz

Drives: 1967 Nova
The RE71's are everyone favorite auto X tire for good reason.

I was out this weekend and only sponsored cars were running other brands.

Hopefully, they release the RE71's in 325's.
Try2paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Fyi i ran a combo of Pcar and Bimmer spec Cup2s on my car last year and i corded LF in 5+ days with 2.6 F camber. I was also not any faster on them vs RE71R or stock G3s. Just another data point as Cups cost a true bundle in comparison to the other 2 excellent choices.
Cheers!
I was very skeptical of the Cup 2's in the ZL1 1LE fitment, but have been extremely impressed with them on the ZL1. The ZL1 1LE was great in the wet on the Cup2's @ Putnam Park, and earlier this month on a dry track at Mid Ohio, I ran a handful of low-mid 1:36's (club config w/ chicane) on Cup 2's and their grip felt amazing. They're wearing like iron too, and are damn quiet on the road. Again, this is 305/30 325/30 "19 sizing. RE71R and G3's aren't available in the ZL1 1LE sizes, I wish they were along with the RS4's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRBound View Post
Do you notice any change with how your car handled on the Cup2s vs. OE?

I switched from the stock tires on my ZL1 1LE to the Cup 2s in OE sizing, and have noticed that the car is very unstable during hard acceleration. At first I suspected it was just less traction, but I notice the whole car will wander left/right even at speed. A great example is 4-5 shift on back straight at VIR, I have to white knuckle the steering wheel to keep the car from moving all over the track.

With how much the Porsche guys rave about these tires, I am at a loss for why they feel the way they do for me.
I've noticed the tendency for the rear to squirm on the OE Goodyears and the Cup 2's... especially when they're cold. Also, this tendency is MUCH worse if the rear toe isn't in spec. The ZL1 dropped a tire in the dirt off oak tree last year, and jacked the rear toe... it wasn't much fun after that. Squirming and slithering under accel for the rest of the event. Once aligned, all was well.

I just ran Mid Ohio a few weeks ago on Cup2's, and was very impressed with their behavior- no white knuckle moments at all.

I know the back straight at VIR is very dicy in when there is a strong breeze blowing, I've had some big pucker moments myself. The lack of trees and it being the highest elevation point seems to make it worse. I have a friend with a 991.2 Turbo S who had the crap scared out of him when a crosswind hit at 170+mph.... moved him from one side of the track to the other. I'll be at VIR in 3 weeks with Carolina's PCA (11/16-18). VIR is my favorite weekend of every year, what a track!
Old 10-23-2018, 08:02 PM   #9
VIRBound

Quote:

I've noticed the tendency for the rear to squirm on the OE Goodyears and the Cup 2's... especially when they're cold. Also, this tendency is MUCH worse if the rear toe isn't in spec. The ZL1 dropped a tire in the dirt off oak tree last year, and jacked the rear toe... it wasn't much fun after that. Squirming and slithering under accel for the rest of the event. Once aligned, all was well.

I just ran Mid Ohio a few weeks ago on Cup2's, and was very impressed with their behavior- no white knuckle moments at all.

I know the back straight at VIR is very dicy in when there is a strong breeze blowing, I've had some big pucker moments myself. The lack of trees and it being the highest elevation point seems to make it worse. I have a friend with a 991.2 Turbo S who had the crap scared out of him when a crosswind hit at 170+mph.... moved him from one side of the track to the other. I'll be at VIR in 3 weeks with Carolina's PCA (11/16-18). VIR is my favorite weekend of every year, what a track!
Fantastic information, thank you!

I’ll be back out for a VIR Full/Grand 11/1-2 so I’ll have some new times for you (Hoping the cool air gives me some edge for Full).

If I can swing it, I’ll at least try to drive up for the PCA event and say Hi.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:45 PM   #10
Provoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRBound View Post
Fantastic information, thank you!

I’ll be back out for a VIR Full/Grand 11/1-2 so I’ll have some new times for you (Hoping the cool air gives me some edge for Full).

If I can swing it, I’ll at least try to drive up for the PCA event and say Hi.
No prob! Also- one important piece I forgot to mention...these N Spec Cup 2’s start to fall off grip-wise over 33 psi from my experience. I found my best laps/grip was at 31-32 hot pressures. This means starting in the 24-25 psi range. It is a VERY rigid construction, just take it gently for the first couple laps to build pressure.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:35 PM   #11
VIRBound

Quote:
No prob! Also- one important piece I forgot to mention...these N Spec Cup 2’s start to fall off grip-wise over 33 psi from my experience. I found my best laps/grip was at 31-32 hot pressures. This means starting in the 24-25 psi range. It is a VERY rigid construction, just take it gently for the first couple laps to build pressure.
This weekend I found the limit of my front left Cup 2. I broke what looks to be the reinforcement steel braided wire that runs around bead of the tire.

I noticed the wire protruding from the wheel, and a split in the sidewall just above the wheel outer diameter that is about 6" long.

I'll be trying out another set of factory tires for now.