Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 07-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #15
DatBrotato

Drives: '18 SS 1LE M6
The fact that people are ok with using a canned tune from some dude across the country based on a mod list still boggles my mind..
Old 07-13-2018, 05:22 PM   #16
appleman22

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le
What dude are you referring to?
appleman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:40 PM   #17
Poppacapp

Drives: 2017 Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBrotato View Post
The fact that people are ok with using a canned tune from some dude across the country based on a mod list still boggles my mind..

A remote tune is every bit as good as a dyno tune provided the customer datalogs as requested by the tuner so the tuner can fine tune the car.

Poppacapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:43 PM   #18
appleman22

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppacapp View Post
Done on the same dyno in similar conditions?
Yes to both questions
appleman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #19
DatBrotato

Quote:
A remote tune is every bit as good as a dyno tune provided the customer datalogs as requested by the tuner so the tuner can fine tune the car.
datalogs are relative to so many variables and interpretations. In my experience it takes multiple tuning sessions to get a car dialed in and to diagnose any potential physical problems with a build.
There's no substitute for being able to drive down the street to your tuner. Have him drive the car while he's logging with you in it until everything works the way you want it.

I've never had any of my cars remote tuned and that won't change.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #20
Poppacapp

Drives: 2017 Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBrotato View Post
datalogs are relative to so many variables and interpretations. In my experience it takes multiple tuning sessions to get a car dialed in and to diagnose any potential physical problems with a build.
There's no substitute for being able to drive down the street to your tuner. Have him drive the car while he's logging with you in it until everything works the way you want it.

I've never had any of my cars remote tuned and that won't change.

Well thats your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. But again. There is no difference in a tuner looking at a log in person, or one that is emailed to them.

Poppacapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #21
DatBrotato

Quote:
Well thats your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. But again. There is no difference in a tuner looking at a log in person, or one that is emailed to them.
smh
Example: A remote tuner tries to adjust the afr on a car that's running too lean under heavy load, based on what he sees in a log.

Owner flashes the new tune he receives.
Car still runs lean and nukes during a WOT run.
The tuner didn't know one of the car's pumps were bad thus why the afr was going lean.

Had he been in the car tuning he might've heard the pump making a bit of noise, signaling it's near its death.

There is much more to tuning than just reading a log. Telling people that a remote tune is every bit as good as in-person is VERY misleading.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #22
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
Quote:
The email tune is just as good typically if a good tuner is used.
There are only several benefits to the in person tune and the fuel pump failing example above is not one of them.

1. If on a Dyno you can optimize power production as well as provide a safe and smooth tune.
2. You can hear knock during the run and abort if needed or if the car goes severely lean. However a good tuner would never be so off to cause severe knock or a severe lean condition.
3. The ability to street verify the tune to tune transient response. Once again, most tuners have these parameters dialed in on a base file.

Note about item 2. The owner take some responsibility in knowing his car and having proper functionality of critical components. If you are remote data logging you should be able to hear knock. And if a wideband is used monitor the lambda of the car during data logging.

Many years ago I was given a bad base tune on an Edelbrock Eforce on an LS3, that I was going to fine tune. It knocked severely. The timing was way too high. I could hear it and feel the car was flat. That was a bad base file.

In my opinion the very best email tuner is JRE. He is amazing at email tuning. The key to his success is a great base file library, and applies value files based on the mods. He's good enough that with basic mods he can tune the MAF without need of a wideband. Very impressive.

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote