Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-25-2021, 12:32 AM   #1
7branson.jake

Drives: Chevy camaro
Are suspension upgrades worth it for 2020 2SS?

Recently just bought my first ever Camaro and it doesn’t have mag ride so I was wondering if there are any suspension upgrades worth doing for it? Is the 1LE upgrade worth it? Any other non suspension upgrade recommendations? Sorry if it’s a dumb question but id rather get any upgrades out of the way now before I have any kids.
7branson.jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:33 AM   #2
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Lowering springs and sway bars. As for other mods a supercharger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:41 AM   #3
gsbeavis

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS
If you wanted 1LE goodies then you should have bought one. Adding those items separately will be stupid expensive. Mag ride by itself doesn't improve handling. It improves the ride quality of a car with stiff suspension. For what you paid for a 2SS you could have gotten a 1SS 1LE.
gsbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:04 AM   #4
Staves

Drives: women crazy
No, not worth it. Car is a beast and good handler as is. I think you’d be just throwing a lot of $$$ away.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:29 AM   #5
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7branson.jake View Post
Recently just bought my first ever Camaro and it doesn’t have mag ride so I was wondering if there are any suspension upgrades worth doing for it? Is the 1LE upgrade worth it? Any other non suspension upgrade recommendations? Sorry if it’s a dumb question but id rather get any upgrades out of the way now before I have any kids.
SG3 suspension upgrades with1LE sway bars can make a remarkable difference in how the car handles along with upgraded wheels and tires like a square 19 x 10.5 square setup with MS 4S 305 30 19 tires. The car will stay flatter when cornering and the suspension will became firmer but NOT harsh. If you want to track the car as well then FRONT CAMBER plates allow for more negative camber setting at the track while allowing you to rapidly change back to more tire wear friendly camber settings on the street. Parts cost on SG3 suspension and 1LE sway bars is only about 1600 dollars. Upgraded wheels like APEX are only 400 a piece. MS 4S tires are about 360 a piece but can last 20K miles even with track use IF you can properly rotate them every 4000 miles. I know cost is relative but it doesnt cost a stupid amount of money to make a GOOD if somewhat SOFT handling car a GREAT handling car which you will notice even if you dont track the car.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:39 AM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7branson.jake View Post
Are suspension upgrades worth it for 2020 2SS?
No.
Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:47 AM   #7
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
See this thread with Camaro team's feedback and data on suspension options for the base SS: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542333

While there's upgrades available, the base SS suspension is really good and dialed in from the factory. You can tell a lot of time was spent optimizing it, so it would be very easy to throw parts at it and make it worse.

A couple points of reference:
  • 2017 V6 1LE (same suspension as SS with 120hp less) runs 3:04.0 at VIR: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-2016-feature/ Look at the cars that are running those kinds of time. 2015 Mustang GT ran a 3:05.2. 2009 CTS-V ran a 3:04. 2018 Civic Type-R ran a 3:03.9.
  • SS vs. M4 (see reference to base suspension): https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...let-camaro-ss/ "For instance, this Camaro SS is the 2SS model. Even though it's about $9K pricier than the 1SS model we tested for Car of the Year, we don't like it as much. Objectively, the performance is almost identical. Look at the figure-eight times. Both ran a 24.1-second lap. However, both Cammisa and I preferred the ride and handling from the fixed suspension on the 1SS to the adjustable magnetorheological dampers on the 2SS. We also both preferred the way the Camaro tore up a ribbon of asphalt compared to the M4.".... "The Alpha chassis is worth its weight in … aluminum. It's properly stiff and sporty; we've yet to find an Alpha car that didn't handle at or near the top of its class."
  • MT Car of the Year (see comments on base suspension): https://www.motortrend.com/news/2016...r-of-the-year/ "Here's a safe(ish) for work version of Cammisa's thoughts on the SS: "Hallelujah, Jesus Christ, and holy stuff this thing is fracking incredible! I could have lapped it for the next 10 years. I am absolutely in love with this car's limit handling.""... "But this isn't Best Driver's Car (though as Cammisa points out, the SS "could/should have won Best Driver's Car.")."

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:48 AM   #8
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Depends on your intended usage. If driving on the street like cruising or daily use then probably no but if you might do some serious track events then yes. The 2SS with MRC is a remarkable sports car that performs very well on the street and some track use. Wider wheels and tires would be your best bet and would improve the ride and handling of your 2020.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:27 AM   #9
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
As vtirocz states, GM kindly answered this very specific question for us a few years ago.
I wholeheartedly disagree with the members saying that the suspension upgrades are a waste of money.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542333

Brandan
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:34 AM   #10
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
it probably depends on how often you are going to road courses.you would have to be insane to try to use all of the power and cornering ability built into your car on public roads.even if youre perfect as a driver,there is no telling when unforseen circumstances such as some butthead pulling out in front of you or a little kid running into the street chasing a ball or a puppy could change your life forever in a horrible way.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:23 AM   #11
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
By most expert accounts, the base suspension is actually pretty good.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #12
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
I find the 2SS as-is very stiff/capable. I debated about some of the 1LE suspension upgrades they had available when I ordered my car, but after some research decided against it since I am not really tracking my car any. I absolutely didn't want the Recaro seats or alcantara... So easy choice on not spending the money on the 1LE package.

Really glad I didn't do any of the 1LE adders once I got the car... The stock 2SS is already quite/very stiff and has nearly no body roll already. The chassis/suspension is tight as can be... I added MRC which allows me to dampen the road bit when I want, and that is very welcome... But I don't think I'd want my car any stiffer for how I use it, at least.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #13
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbeavis View Post
If you wanted 1LE goodies then you should have bought one. Adding those items separately will be stupid expensive. Mag ride by itself doesn't improve handling. It improves the ride quality of a car with stiff suspension. For what you paid for a 2SS you could have gotten a 1SS 1LE.
Wrong.

I've driven Corvettes with and without MRC, and it dramatically improves handling compared to a non MRC car. I have been to Spring Mountain twice, and they rave about the capabilities. I am however, not taking anything away from the track handling of the 1LE (which does not have Magnetic Ride Control).

This article expands on the MRC quite a bit:https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gene...ol-technology/
Old 02-25-2021, 09:44 AM   #14
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
I think some of you are missing the statement that he already purchased the car. He cannot add MRC now.

Brandan
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, 2020, 2ss