Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 12-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
Adampau123

Drives: 2017 Red Hot 1SS 1LE
Stock internal power goals??

Currently have intake, dp, throttle body and tune. Assuming the car is making around 300 wheel rn. I was just wondering if it would be safe to make around 350 whp on the ltg as long as torque isn't too high?? I know torque is a killer on most motors. Just was wondering if 350 wheel would be a safe reliable number and how to get there. Have a flex fuel kit that will hopefully be able to be ran sometime soon and planning on upgrading the stock tdo4 or going with a slightly bigger turbo. Any thoughts on this??
Adampau123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adampau123 View Post
Currently have intake, dp, throttle body and tune. Assuming the car is making around 300 wheel rn. I was just wondering if it would be safe to make around 350 whp on the ltg as long as torque isn't too high?? I know torque is a killer on most motors. Just was wondering if 350 wheel would be a safe reliable number and how to get there. Have a flex fuel kit that will hopefully be able to be ran sometime soon and planning on upgrading the stock tdo4 or going with a slightly bigger turbo. Any thoughts on this??
Many say 400whp is the limit on stock internals i think 350whp is a safe zone personally. With that RWHP your looking at close to 400WTQ Any thing over 375 and i'd put forged internals in the engine "myself" without question to save yourself from breaking anything. You also have the M6 i'd be interested to see how the stock clutch performs at those levels as well.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adampau123 View Post
It would be kind of pointless to upgrade the turbo, then run it at less than it's potential. I'd just re-wheel your stock turbo. That would get you to 350whp easy, and would be significantly cheaper.

I don't see an upgraded intercooler on your list. That is a MUST if you want the engine to live. Detonation will very quickly kill an LTG.

I'm with evilbee, plan a clutch upgrade. They don't hold much past 300wtq.

In all honesty, if you want to go that far with upgrades, just throw in some rods and pistons. It's cheap insurance and can be done for around $1500. Then you can actually run an aftermarket turbo to it's full capacity.
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
It would be kind of pointless to upgrade the turbo, then run it at less than it's potential. I'd just re-wheel your stock turbo. That would get you to 350whp easy, and would be significantly cheaper.

I don't see an upgraded intercooler on your list. That is a MUST if you want the engine to live. Detonation will very quickly kill an LTG.

I'm with evilbee, plan a clutch upgrade. They don't hold much past 300wtq.

In all honesty, if you want to go that far with upgrades, just throw in some rods and pistons. It's cheap insurance and can be done for around $1500. Then you can actually run an aftermarket turbo to it's full capacity.
What's the average cost for installation of rods and pistons ?
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th_gen_gino View Post
Probably a lot, but I guess would depend on where you take it to get done?

Dealer quoted me $2900 to pull the engine and change one piston.

One place quoted me $1500 just to swap in a JY engine.

Figure you have to buy the parts, then they need to be balanced before they can ever be installed.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:47 AM   #6
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th_gen_gino View Post
$561 from an actual "Race" shop. That includes assembling the rods and pistons, balancing, and final assembly. You could probably get it done cheaper, but I only found 1 place with prices listed online. http://www.besracing.com/machine-shop-services.html

Balance assembly 4 cylinder: $219
Pin fit: $8x4: $32
Press pistons on rods: 4-$60
Engine Assembly: $85/hour with a $250.00 Minimum (using the minimum)

Not too bad. Then you need to spend $449 on rods and $799 on pistons. Total $1809 for an assembled short block. Or, you could go with my newly formed engine rebuilding company "Chicago Tommy Racing". We sell race prepped short blocks for $2850 + $1000 crank and block core charge which is refunded upon receipt of your good condition stock block and crank. Nudge nudge, wink wink!
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
Old 12-12-2017, 12:50 AM   #7
ChicagoTommy

Oh, and also expect to pay a mechanic at least $1000 to Remove & Reinstall your engine. Figure at least 10 hours labor @ $100 per hour. Maybe coop could chime in on what the actual GM book time is to R&R an LTG.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:52 AM   #8
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
$561 from an actual "Race" shop. That includes assembling the rods and pistons, balancing, and final assembly. You could probably get it done cheaper, but I only found 1 place with prices listed online. http://www.besracing.com/machine-shop-services.html

Balance assembly 4 cylinder: $219
Pin fit: $8x4: $32
Press pistons on rods: 4-$60
Engine Assembly: $85/hour with a $250.00 Minimum (using the minimum)

Not too bad. Then you need to spend $449 on rods and $799 on pistons. Total $1809 for an assembled short block. Or, you could go with my newly formed engine rebuilding company "Chicago Tommy Racing". We sell race prepped short blocks for $2850 + $1000 crank and block core charge which is refunded upon receipt of your good condition stock block and crank. Nudge nudge, wink wink!
Haha love the shop plug. Hope the mods leave this thread alone though they don't like non-vendors advertising prices. I may need to call my two go to shops and see what they'd charge.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 12-12-2017, 01:06 AM   #9
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Haha love the shop plug. Hope the mods leave this thread alone though they don't like non-vendors advertising prices. I may need to call my two go to shops and see what they'd charge.
Dude, it's a joke. Hence the 'newly formed' and 'nudge nudge, wink wink'...
Old 12-12-2017, 01:14 AM   #10
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Dude, it's a joke. Hence the 'newly formed' and 'nudge nudge, wink wink'...
I know it's a joke I've just been on here long enough to know they don't always see it for what it is. I've seen them go way overboard on that stuff in the past on Camaro5.com. Besides I bet that shop is totally legitimate if I googled it lol.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #11
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Yes sir, it looks like a whopping 15.0 for the LTG with an automatic!!!
Any decent wrench should be able to do it in less than half of that. They're really padding the hours nowadays!
Old 12-13-2017, 01:51 AM   #12
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

That's why we call them stealerships. No offense towards those on here that work at them it's just a sad fact at 90% of them these days.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:32 AM   #13
2.0t_godfather

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2.0t
Engine is not terrible to get out. Pretty straight forward. I don't think there was 15hrs into everything we did to mine.
2.0t_godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:57 PM   #14
Jsmalls8212@gmail.com

Drives: 2019 camaro 1lt RS
Upgrades upgrades upgrades!!!

So I am currently about to install the zzp intercooler and I'm thinking just the big wheel turbo zzp makes versus the z 54 or above.Since you can leave your stock internals with just the big wheel turbo. Any thoughts. I'm currently stage 1.5. I could get pistons and rods too and then just but the z 54 right now and just do the pistons the same time I do intercooler. Just need to find someone I can trust to install the pistons and rods.
Jsmalls8212@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote