Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #57
EarthToGreg

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
Got a good deal on a $100 set of GM footwell lighting for my 6 gen Camaro SS. The package is due to arrive today and I will try and make an install video (or at least contribute some comments here regarding tricky parts).

I'm looking forward to having the matching footwell lighting. I can't believe Chevy doesn't bother installing this with the rest of the Spectrum lighting package!
EarthToGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:47 PM   #58
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthToGreg View Post
Got a good deal on a $100 set of GM footwell lighting for my 6 gen Camaro SS. The package is due to arrive today and I will try and make an install video (or at least contribute some comments here regarding tricky parts).

I'm looking forward to having the matching footwell lighting. I can't believe Chevy doesn't bother installing this with the rest of the Spectrum lighting package!
You'll find out why it's not a high priority when you install it.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #59
EarthToGreg

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
So, I spent Father's Day with my dad yesterday installing the GM footwell lighting. We weren't rushing through and took a couple breaks, but overall it took about 3-4 hours for us to complete.

The result? I think they look great! It really rounds out all the other interior spectrum lighting. It's not crazy bright in the footwell, but it's far brighter than "hardly noticeable," like some folks on here were saying. I think you have to judge the brightness of the light when you actually having your legs in the footwell vs judging the brightness in an empty footwell. The light needs something to bounce off of that is higher up than the floor mats.

It still kind of blows my mind that Chevy jut doesn't include the installed footwell lights on cars coming out of the factory. Maybe it was a victim of price shaving to bring the manufacturing cost down, which I suppose I might understand as to why it got put on the chopping block . For the price of the Spectrum lighting kit though, you'd think they would include this. There are four other Spectrum lights, so not including the two color-changing footwell light is like forgoing 1/3 of the possible total lights.

A few installation notes:
- I had my dad helping me, which was useful when it came to wrangling off the glove box (and wrangling it back on!), as well as fishing through then driver side light. And moral support!
- My car only had three screws on the underside piece of the glove box. Some have commented on there being four screws. Mine had three, but there was a weird empty hexagonal hole under there that had nothing in it. Maybe some folks have a screw in there?
- The far back screw under the glove compartment is a huge pain. We should have had a shallower/lateral ratchet driver vs the long one we had on hand to use.
- The underside of the glove compartment didn't drop down very far for us. Just enough to be able to maneuver the electrical wiring etc. So don't freak out if it doesn't just fall down.
- Be prepared to twerk your body in all sorts of positions to really get your head into the footwell. I had to pretty much dive in backwards at certain points. This must be how they train astronauts.
- Put some sort of padding over your door sill to avoid scratches. I changed into elastic waistband shorts after a zipper pocket in my shorts left a little scratch on the sill as I was twisting around in the footwell. Luckily, nothing too bad.
- When you get ready to remove the left-side pin from the glove box, be careful not to fling it into the oblivion of the center console. Id suggest doing the right side first to get a feel for it. It didn't feel like it would pop out in one go anyway. Pop it out a little ways, and then remove it with your hand. The pin works like the pin in a door hinge; you just get the driver head underneath it and pull it out.
- Remember, there are two rows of wires on the connector pin thing. One row goes 1 through 9, and the other side is labeled 11 through 18. There is a hole in the pin connector unit where slot 10 should be, so don't let that confuse your counting.
- Double check that the lighting actually works before putting everything back together. We would check again as well after any significant step in the reassembly. Maybe overly cautious, but we didn't want to have to take things apart again.

That's basically it.

Was it worth it? For the $100 I spent on the kit from eBay and the enjoyment of doing a little project with my dad, totally. Also, I feel like if I'm going to have this car 5-10+ years, the what's the biggie of a little time and money to bring the interior Spectrum lighting up to its full potential. This same reasoning kind of applies even if I had to spend the normal $180-200 for the kit.

I took some video that I will try and splice together as a rough walk through. Also, the video shows some of the results. Otherwise, feel free to ask me any installation questions you guys might have!

Last edited by EarthToGreg; 06-19-2017 at 03:09 PM.
EarthToGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:28 PM   #60
Metal Shark

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Black, NPP, MRS
EarthToGreg I greatly appreciate your instructions and video on this!
I just installed these lights today and I’m actually impressed how these look.

Just adding a couple notes from my install if anyone else is interested in installing these:

1) call it an irrational fear but I disconnected the battery for this install. Just having the knee airbag in my face most of the time was enough to scare me to do this.

2) accessing the rear bolts is an absolute nightmare for a 6’3” guy well over 275lbs. At the end of the day I was a master contortionist and did yoga better than my wife. Seriously though this is absolutely the worst part and anyone walking by will be reminded of scenes from an exorcism.

3) placing these rear bolts back in once you are done is extremely easy by TAPING these bolts to the 7mm socket. This both makes guiding the bolts in easier while also making sure these bolts don’t fall into the voids between the carpet. I used an extension to get them hand tight first and then properly tightened them afterwards.

Everything else went without an issue and was actually very easy.
Overall I would recommend these for someone who’s looking for a new project and they are willing to put in about 3 hours of work. I would compare these to Ford’s ambient lighting brightness where they aren’t obnoxiously bright yet still pretty noticeable.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:28 PM   #61
Stagnant6

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
If anyone is still monitoring this chat by chance I have had a nagging question for the past few months that I can’t find an answer for. I have a 2017 LT with 7” radio and I keep seeing that the spectrum lighting doesn’t connect to this radio. But the area where the HUD control would be that I keep seeing is where this would connect didn’t exist in my car. There’s no cut out or anything it’s just solid plastic. Do they have to cut out the plastic for this install to install the control unit? Thanks for the help!!
Stagnant6 is offline   Reply With Quote