Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
GM Patents Clutch By Wire

A new patent from GM could mean your next clutch pedal is a digital one.

https://www.gminsidenews.com/article...ual-trans-fun/
Attached Images

Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Wow, less mechanical but in trade using electronics. It would eliminate the clutch fluid if they moved to a direct mount electronic system.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
Wow! The possibilities are intriguing.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
That could be cool
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie18SS View Post
Launch control without the bog? Check!
Automatic clutching with just shift lever input? Check!
M6's as fast as (and maybe even faster than) A10's? Check!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:45 PM   #6
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie18SS View Post
Lol...I shudder to think of the possibilities.... come on, that’s funny!
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:52 PM   #7
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
This is a key step in keeping manuals available for the enthusiasts. There’ve been discussions about electronically shifted manuals with three pedals that shift the transmission manually electronically. So the gear shift is electronic even though it’s the standard shift pattern of a standard manual. This would enable companies to use the same transmission for manuals and automatics, cutting down on production costs and EPA certifications yet keeping us old “get off my lawn” curmudgeons who refuse to own an automatic happy
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:57 PM   #8
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Drive by wire clutch should allow for the third peddal to be gone. No?

So we end up with a true manual that can be put in automatic mode. How cool would that be.

Im game.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:13 PM   #9
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Drive by wire clutch should allow for the third peddal to be gone. No?

So we end up with a true manual that can be put in automatic mode. How cool would that be.

Im game.
What fun would that be? How are you going to rev it up and pop the clutch. Or ride the clutch to keep the revs up as you hunt for traction? Where would your 4th to 2nd shift go? Could you start in 3rd just to mess with the ricer next to you?
Damn, the clutch is 2/3 the fun of a stick shift.
You aren't tied to a stall speed, every time you let out the clutch the driver determines the stall.

A manual driver shifts how he wants, when he wants. Smooth when mom is in the car, smack it and drop the clutch when dad wants to chirp the tires.

Recently I drove my mom into the city. We were in the car for ~30 minutes of stop and go. When stopped first in line at a red someone pulled up on my right in the bus lane, hoping to beat me off the line. I wasted him and my mom smiled and said, "Oh, you have a manual transmission." It made me proud that she hadn't noticed sooner.

And the point of this story is that with a manual every time you start, shift, stop, it is up to the driver to determine the driving characteristics. Not some computer programmed by a corporation. It is freedom.

BTW, you all can walk on my lawn, as long as you don't leave any trash.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:48 PM   #10
Joel2702zzz

Drives: My Dad's car is a '16 1SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
What fun would that be? How are you going to rev it up and pop the clutch. Or ride the clutch to keep the revs up as you hunt for traction? Where would your 4th to 2nd shift go? Could you start in 3rd just to mess with the ricer next to you?
You aren't tied to a stall speed, every time you let out the clutch the driver determines the stall.

A manual driver shifts how he wants, when he wants. Smooth when mom is in the car, smack it and drop the clutch when dad wants to chirp the tires.

Recently I drove my mom into the city. We were in the car for ~30 minutes of stop and go. When stopped first in line at a red someone pulled up on my right in the bus lane, hoping to beat me off the line. I wasted him and my mom smiled and said, "Oh, you have a manual transmission." It made me proud that she hadn't noticed sooner.

And the point of this story is that with a manual every time you start, shift, stop, it is up to the driver to determine the driving characteristics. Not some computer programmed by a corporation. It is freedom.

I have to say; your comment is quite possibly one of the best ever.
Joel2702zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:18 AM   #11
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmax View Post
Lol...I shudder to think of the possibilities.... come on, that’s funny!
Old 09-27-2018, 03:27 AM   #12
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Mid engine corvette?
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:41 AM   #13
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post

You have a great reply that I cant argue with. However, ive had so many manuals over the years that gear jamming doesnt really do it for me anymore. I still have a couple of manual cars ,and while they are fun , they get old after awhile. My comment was being selfish. How about a compromise? We keep the third pedal and have a min of three modes. Full manual(this allows for everything in your reply), semimanual(allows for manual shifting without the clutch including from a stop), then full automatic.

Wouldn't that be cool?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #14
97cavy22

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Maybe I’m old fashioned but I’d prefer a true manual like every car I’ve owned. Then again if this type of setup is what will keep a manual alive than it’s better than no clutch pedal.
97cavy22 is offline   Reply With Quote