Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Thumbs down Engine tick that IS actually bad news

Ok, so I have a 2018 1SS 1LE that I bought with 5 miles on the odo last October. I baby the car, broke it in per the manual, changed the oil and filter at 500 and again at 1500 miles.

I now have 2900 miles on the car and it recently started making a noticable tick on the pass side. This is not the DI tick or the sewing machine noise common on the LT1. It was definitely coming from the pass side head. I used a stethoscope. I know engines as I used to do LS swaps and pro touring show car builds and knew this was a lifter or rocker issue.

I was prepared to argue with the dealership. The first dealership said the same old junk. "Its normal, bla bla bla." I took it to another dealership bit this time brought my stethoscope. At first, same thing. "Yup its louder and may be the fuel line issue." I made the service manager put the stethoscope to the head and he flinched. "Yeah, not normal..."

Turns out it was a collapsed lifter that was banging the pushrod. They also found metal in the crankcase from the camshaft. Ordered a new engine. Un freaking real. This is why I was hesitant at buying a GM product.

So, if you think you may have a tick that bothers you, get yourself a stethoscope and dont listen to the dealerships who tell you "it's normal, it's the DI injectors, etc." These engines make noises, but they should sound uniform on both sides. A pronounced metal on metal tick isnt normal.

Listen to it here: https://youtu.be/JDYD1trv21w

Last edited by Cgocifer; 09-15-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #2
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Sorry to hear. No manufacturer is perfect... I considered most performance cars under $50k and it's hard to find anything without it's issues. My last car's motor, a STi, was the subject of a class action lawsuit Subaru ended up losing. Known issues were not disclosed. It sounds like Chevy isn't questioning warranty coverage, which is a big plus.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #3
Cgocifer

Just disappointing. :-/

I mainly posted to let other folks know the difference between the normal ticking and DI noises vs this pronounced tick only on one side of the engine. You can hear the DI seeing machine under the loud lifter tick.

As long as it goes while still under warranry... lol

No way they could argue about warranty with less than 3k miles and no mods.

Last edited by Cgocifer; 09-15-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:57 PM   #4
TheBusDriver

Drives: 2016 2SS (M6)
Did you notice any performance issues or any other symptoms with this tick?

Good to hear you're getting this taken care of. I have a similar noise that the dealership told me was normal as well, which, of course I don't believe. But if the motor goes, the powertrain warranty will cover it.
TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #5
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Did you notice any performance issues or any other symptoms with this tick?

Good to hear you're getting this taken care of. I have a similar noise that the dealership told me was normal as well, which, of course I don't believe. But if the motor goes, the powertrain warranty will cover it.
No other symptoms. Oil pressure is fine and the engine runs smooth. Hard to tell when the noise first started because these things are noisy and I chalked most of it up to what everyone says... DI. It recently got louder and actually kind of embarrassing. That's when I pulled out the stethoscope a d put it to the head. It was crazy loud and definitely metal on metal. Sounded just like a lifter failure I had on an LS3. It doesnt take long for a stuck lifter to wipe a cam lube which apparently was starting to happen hence the metal in the oil. I just changed the oil about 1200 miles ago and like always, I cut the filter open. Was clean. So, it just recently started chewing things up within the last 1200 miles.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
Cgocifer

By the way, this noise which is a lifter happens when cold or hot. I used to be concerned about the startup tick that lasts for 40 seconds or so. That is very similar sounding but not this constant, loud, metallic tick at all temps.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:33 PM   #7
Scraps0f

Drives: 2018 NGM ZL1
I believe someone else on the forums had this issue as well, if memory is serving me correctly. It sucks to hear, but glad that they are replacing it. How long are you expected to be out of service?
Scraps0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #8
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraps0f View Post
I believe someone else on the forums had this issue as well, if memory is serving me correctly. It sucks to hear, but glad that they are replacing it. How long are you expected to be out of service?
No idea. Have to wait until Monday. They said possibly 4 to 6 weeks depending on availability. I may try to pursue buy back given the fact that I don't even have 3k miles on the darn thing.

If that is an option, not sure what I'll get. Mustangs are having issues too. I may go back to classics, pick up a hellcat, or a used 911 or something.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #9
Cgocifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Sorry to hear. No manufacturer is perfect... I considered most performance cars under $50k and it's hard to find anything without it's issues. My last car's motor, a STi, was the subject of a class action lawsuit Subaru ended up losing. Known issues were not disclosed. It sounds like Chevy isn't questioning warranty coverage, which is a big plus.
Unfortunately, this isnt the first time I've run into a similar situation.. Back in 2005 I special ordered a G35 coupe. I waited 90 days for the car and after 10k miles, it started consuming oil. After a couple consumption tests, Nissan/Infiniti agreed to change the engine. I immediately got rid of it. Things like this taint the ownership experience
Old 09-16-2018, 01:47 AM   #10
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I had the same issue, and the same noise as yours and it actually was the fuel line thing your dealer was talking about.

They replaced that fuel line and the tick went away.

After listening to your video I want to say mine was even louder than yours when I took it in.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:11 AM   #11
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I'll be honest, I heard nothing unusual in that video. Curious to know what they find.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:41 AM   #12
Ace01

Drives: 2018 1LE SS "Silver Bullet"
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
I'll be honest, I heard nothing unusual in that video. Curious to know what they find.

Same here that sounds like my 1LE. Please let us know what they find, ask the dealer to take photos if they pull the valve covers. Any photos of the metal in the filter? Thanks for posting.

Also, who can a fuel line make that ticking noise, can someone post the S/B on the fuel line tick?
Old 09-16-2018, 05:45 AM   #13
Ace01

https://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...ing-noise.html
Old 09-16-2018, 05:49 AM   #14
Ace01

Found the S/B on the fuel line tick, very strange can you listen with your scope and let us know. http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...2017-1338.html