Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Blower snout removal

Just wondering if anyone has removed the snout on their supercharger, and if so, can it be done with the blower installed? Seems like the bolts should be accessible. Thinking about having the snout ported when I do my pulley. Just weighing my options.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
777Jackpot777

Drives: 2018 ZL1, 2018 Tahoe RST Edition
I’m pretty sure to make your life way easier blower must be removed.
777Jackpot777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
someone post a topic the other day he was able to cut the stock pulley just right with no damage to remove the pulley without removing the snout.. let me look for old post

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532227

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
Old 09-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
someone post a topic the other day he was able to cut the stock pulley just right with no damage to remove the pulley without removing the snout.. let me look for old post
Thanks, I’ve seen that thread and even posted in it. Cutting the pulley isn’t my style. I actually bought a puller to do it on the car, so removal shouldn’t be a problem. I’m going to attempt the “oven” technique he used to install the new hub, though. But if that doesn’t work, I’m going to have to remove the snout to press it on. So just doing my homework.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #6
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Thanks, I’ve seen that thread and even posted in it. Cutting the pulley isn’t my style. I actually bought a puller to do it on the car, so removal shouldn’t be a problem. I’m going to attempt the “oven” technique he used to install the new hub, though. But if that doesn’t work, I’m going to have to remove the snout to press it on. So just doing my homework.

I'd like to see a video of it being removed!

Old 09-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #7
777Jackpot777

Drives: 2018 ZL1, 2018 Tahoe RST Edition
Quote:
X2
777Jackpot777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
JRS

Drives: 16 camaro M6/ 18 ZL1 camaro A10
When I installed the aftermarket pulley I got lucky that everything lined up so make sure you know where your pulley or hub has to be before you heat it up and install it.

Make sure you leave it in the oven until the oven is at full temp and then at least another 15 mins.

As for tuning, I haven't done any and with over 1k miles it improved my gas mileage by 1 mile per gallon. The car still checks out fat on fuel.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #9
BMWM.D.

Quote:
I’ll see what I can do
Old 09-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #10
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS View Post
When I installed the aftermarket pulley I got lucky that everything lined up so make sure you know where your pulley or hub has to be before you heat it up and install it.

Make sure you leave it in the oven until the oven is at full temp and then at least another 15 mins.

As for tuning, I haven't done any and with over 1k miles it improved my gas mileage by 1 mile per gallon. The car still checks out fat on fuel.
Yeah, the pulley instructions mention to press the hub on until it’s flush with the blower shaft. So that will be my target. I’m also thinking that if I push it on too far, I can probably use the puller to pull it back if needed.

I’m also thinking of icing the shaft (haha) before I try to pop the hub on. Figure it can’t hurt.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #11
JRS

Quote:
Yeah, the pulley instructions mention to press the hub on until it’s flush with the blower shaft. So that will be my target. I’m also thinking that if I push it on too far, I can probably use the puller to pull it back if needed.

I’m also thinking of icing the shaft (haha) before I try to pop the hub on. Figure it can’t hurt.
Yeah icing the shaft wouldn't hurt for sure. As for putting the pulley hub on flush which is what I thought was the case is not true. The original was flush but the grip tech hub wasn't. It was roughly 1/8''-1/4'' over hanging the shaft that's why I say get a good idea where it belongs then put it on to that measurement.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #12
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Yeah icing the shaft wouldn't hurt for sure. As for putting the pulley hub on flush which is what I thought was the case is not true. The original was flush but the grip tech hub wasn't. It was roughly 1/8''-1/4'' over hanging the shaft that's why I say get a good idea where it belongs then put it on to that measurement.
So you left it sticking out 1/8”-1/4” ? Both the instructions from ZPE and the videos I’ve found show it being pressed using a flat metal plate that basically will stop the hub when the face of the hub and the shaft end are flush.

Did you use a laser aligned to check the belt alignment? Just wondering how you came to the conclusion that the hub should sit where you put it.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #13
JRS

Quote:
So you left it sticking out 1/8”-1/4” ? Both the instructions from ZPE and the videos I’ve found show it being pressed using a flat metal plate that basically will stop the hub when the face of the hub and the shaft end are flush.

Did you use a laser aligned to check the belt alignment? Just wondering how you came to the conclusion that the hub should sit where you put it.
To answer the question of did I use a laser aligner, No. I was under the assumption the instruction were right so I was figuring on putting it on flush but I got a little to over excited to install the hub anyway while it was hot and while I was putting it on realized very quickly the shaft wasn't as long as the hub so it wasn't going to be flush it had to stick out over the end of the shaft.

I must have had a horse shoe stuck up my ass that day because the belt lined up were the hub ended up on the shaft which is why I'm saying you should measure so you know where it is before you do something like I did.

Here's a pic but not the best.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #14
BMWM.D.

Quote:
To answer the question of did I use a laser aligner, No. I was under the assumption the instruction were right so I was figuring on putting it on flush but I got a little to over excited to install the hub anyway while it was hot and while I was putting it on realized very quickly the shaft wasn't as long as the hub so it wasn't going to be flush it had to stick out over the end of the shaft.

I must have had a horse shoe stuck up my ass that day because the belt lined up were the hub ended up on the shaft which is why I'm saying you should measure so you know where it is before you do something like I did.

Here's a pic but not the best.
I’d like to see a picture with that plastic cover removed.

But yeah, I did a quick eyeball of the pulley alignment a few days ago. I centered the belt line of the griptec pulley/hub over where the belt currently sits, and it sure looks like the hub and shaft should be about even. Not exactly scientific, I know.

I’m waiting to do this swap until after I get back from the drag strip this weekend. I want to see what it’ll do with stock boost first.

By the way, which belt did you use?