Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
John J

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0 Turbo
power loss, "peng" sound and stuttering

Dear Camaro forum members,
First: a short introduction.
My Name is John, I am from the Netherlands (but live in Belgium). So, if my Englisch is not perfect........thats is why ;-)

My problem, and I will try to be as specific as possible;
2 months ago I bought a new 2017 Camaro 2.0 Turbo (6th gen.). After a few weeks the engine started to stutter and did not accellerate. It also made a "peng peng" sound during acceleration.

When does it occur?:
When i leave to work in the morning there is nothing wrong. (My camaro is parked in a garage). I drive to my work (18 kilometers) and park my car at work. When i leave home (9 hours later), i drive from the parking area to the street. This takes more or less, 20 seconds. Then, when I am on the road and start accelerating, the engine stutters, will not accelerate and makes a "peng, peng" sound. After 3 or 4 seconds everything is mormal and the problem is gone and does not occur again. It does not matter if it is raining or the sun is shining, after my Camaro has been parked for a few hours, the problem is back again.

The dealer where i bought my Camaro, updated the software and replaced the spark plugs but the problem is still there. Tomorrow i will bring my Camaro back for the third time but they do not know where to look or start. It is an official Chevrolet Camaro dealer and they say they looked in the database of Chevrolet but my problem is unknown. I am concerned that my engine will be damaged so I hope someone can help me with this problem.

I made a sound recording (mp3) if it will help, I hope it is uploaded.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards. John
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Start using the highest octane you can buy at the pump.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
Cameron27

Drives: 2015 2SS

Last edited by Cameron27; 06-06-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Cameron27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:47 PM   #4
John J

Dear members,

I discovered that i could not upload the mp3 file.

I forgot to mention that my Camaro has an automatic transmission. I don't know if that matters.

The fuel I use is the highest I can get. In the fuel opening is a sticker which says euro 95 but i use the higher octane fuel: euro 98.

Thank you for your responses.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:56 PM   #5
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
I just wanted to chime in and let you know that your English is excellent. Good job and enjoy the car. Hopefully the dealer can fix your problem.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #6
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Could be a bad coil pack. Failing that, could be a boost leak causing you to hit fuel cut, but I wouldn't expect that to just go away - maybe an injector is faulty, though? I'd have them check the coils and the injectors, and if nothing shows up there, check for leaks across the air intake piping, and check the MAS. Is the car fully stock or have you made any modifications? If you've added an after-market air intake, check nothing has come loose.

How many times have you filled up with fuel since this started? Do you always use the same fuel station?
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #7
John J

@ Ecchi667

Thank you for the input, i will ask my Camaro dealer to check these points.

My Camaro is fully stock, no modifications.

The Chevrolet dealer delivered the Camaro with euro 95 fuel (octane / RON 95) after that i filled up my Camaro with (the higher? quality) euro 98 (octane 98 / RON 98). I always go to the same fuel station of a (well)known brand. The first 1 or 2 weeks the problem did not occur..... Can the problem be caused by the make of the fuel or the higher octane level?

The control light of the engine / engine warning light never illuminated. According to my Camaro dealer it is because the malfunction is too short to register. (The problem only occurs for 3 or 4 seconds and to register it has to be about 10 seconds).
Old 10-25-2017, 07:36 AM   #8
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Quote:
Originally Posted by John J View Post
@ Ecchi667

Thank you for the input, i will ask my Camaro dealer to check these points.

My Camaro is fully stock, no modifications.

The Chevrolet dealer delivered the Camaro with euro 95 fuel (octane / RON 95) after that i filled up my Camaro with (the higher? quality) euro 98 (octane 98 / RON 98). I always go to the same fuel station of a (well)known brand. The first 1 or 2 weeks the problem did not occur..... Can the problem be caused by the make of the fuel or the higher octane level?

The control light of the engine / engine warning light never illuminated. According to my Camaro dealer it is because the malfunction is too short to register. (The problem only occurs for 3 or 4 seconds and to register it has to be about 10 seconds).
I'm originally from England so I understand Euro fuels and 98 (super unleaded) is fine. Anything from 97+ should be good. If that petrol station had a bad batch of fuel then you could see problems resulting from that - it may be worth trying a different brand when you next fill up. I wouldn't really expect you to see octane issues unless you started increasing the boost pressure, though - my thinking was more along the lines that the fuel was somehow contaminated, maybe with water or something like that. Using fuel from a different station might help to be certain, and you could also try using an additive to be sure any water is cleaned up - any auto store should have such a thing.

One other thing you can try is to disconnect the negative cable from the battery (in the trunk/boot on the right side) and leave it off for an hour or two, then reconnect it. This will force the ECU to reset and relearn the fuel maps and should hopefully clear any abnormalities. By no means a guaranteed fix, but an easy option to try for sure.

The symptoms you describe sound like the same issue I had on my old s13/200sx when I had coilpacks failing, so that's at the top of my list of suspects right now - but there are several potentials.
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
soldes

Drives: car
John, sorry you are having issues with your car. As there is (to my knowledge) only one official dealer in Belgium I hope for you and myself (so it shows they are capable)they can solve it.
I've been running 95 from Lukoil from day one without any issues so I really doubt you need 98). Currently I'm at 10000km's, car arrived in August.

Nick (Lokeren)
soldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #10
John J

@ Ecchi667
My Chevrolet dealer did not find the problem yet and already checked a few things you mentioned. Tomorrow they will exchange the bobbine (distributor coil). I hope the problem is solved then.

@ All:
I am stil open for more sugestions so my Chevrolet dealer can check all possibillities.

If someone wants to hear the mp3 file (which i could not upload): i can send it by PM. Just let me know.

@ Soldes. Yes i think we are talking about the same Chevrolet dealer in Geel ;-)

Thanks in advance for helping out.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #11
John J

Camaro friends,

Last week my Chevrolet dealer replaced the bobbine (distributor coil). At first i thought the problem was a lot less but after 5 days driving the problem is back again.

Does anyone have other ideas what the problem could be? Next week i bring back my Camaro for the fourth time but i am loosing faith.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-04-2017, 09:06 PM   #12
Oramac2016

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
I have the v6 and have started to experience something very similar. When coasting at about 1500rpm i feel the engine stutter. It feels almost like the engine vibrates. When looking at the rpm, goes up a bit. Similar to a misfire except on a misfire the rpm usually stutters down. I havent made it to the dealer yet. I use plus gas which is 89 i believe. Im at about 14k miles.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:26 AM   #13
John J

@Oramac2016,

Next week i will bring back my Camaro to the Chevrolet dealer for further investigation. I will keep you informed in a post.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #14
Oramac2016

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
I found this....

Date Reported
JUNE 06, 2016
NHTSA Reference
TSB Reference
#PIP5405A
Description: THIS PRELIMINARY INFORMATION COMMUNICATION PROVIDES INFORMATION TO THE TECHNICIAN THE SOME VEHICLES MAY HAVE SURGE MISFIRE FEELING SENSATION DURING HIGHWAY STEADY STATE DRIVING IN MANUAL MODE OR AUTOMATIC, TYPICALLY IN 6TH, 7TH, 8TH GEAR AC