Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 06-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
NFRNOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 IOM
Onstar letter

I received an onstar letter today, basically saying that Canadian wireless carriers are dropping 2G CDMA service this year, and my onstar system won't work without it. They are apparently working on a hardware upgrade, so no action is required at this time.

I'm curious if this hardware upgrade will be free since I'm already a subscriber. Maybe this hardware upgrade will also let me use the damn iphone app to get info from my car! Crossing my fingers...

Anyone know anything more about this?
NFRNOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:33 AM   #2
LittleReEntryRacer

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I got the same letter.....and then a phone call the same day asking me if I wanted to renew my contract!! I asked them why I would renew when they just told me it wasn't going to work, and they didn't have an answer to that!
LittleReEntryRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
I believe it should give us 4G capability. If that is the case, hopefully that means we can get the 4G wi-fi hot spot for the cars. I got two letter, one for the car and one for my '09 Sierra.
DELIVERED APRIL 22nd, 2013 and enjoying every minute since!

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
mhoskins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #4
NFRNOSS

I hope so. Does anyone know where the onstar module is in the car? Is it part of the stereo system?
Old 05-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
NFRNOSS

Apparently there are new letters going out about upgrading onstar and indeed it gives you 4g with wifi. My 2010 may not qualify :(

Anyone receive this letter yet?
Old 05-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
The onstar box is located behind the glove box, I have retrofitted MyLink and am hoping the new hardware upgrade does not interfere with this else I won't be doing it.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #7
Meltdownaverted
I sell Camaro's

Drives: traded 11 2SS RS SGM for 13 SS 1LE
its only about 11% of all current subscribers that wont be able to get the new features. There is supposed to no cost associated with the equipment upgrade or installation but customers may be required to pre pay a one year subscription.
Pagliaro: we have been warned that it may affect aftermarket stereo upgrades
Meltdownaverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:48 PM   #8
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Mylink is technically OEM, it shouldn't be too much of a problem if all the connectors remain the same and only the box changes. I'll find out if I end up doing the hardware change.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
mhoskins76
HTWEELZ

Drives: 2013 2SS Hot Wheels Edition
I haven't received any letters or emails on this change. Has anyone received any recent letters?
DELIVERED APRIL 22nd, 2013 and enjoying every minute since!

Mods:
Cold Air Inductions CAI, CNC Ported Throttle Body, Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can, Smoked Spyder LED Tail Lights, 12" JBL Sub, JBL Amp, Stealth Sub Box, American Racing LT headers and hi-flo cats, Tuned by Davenport, Custom painted interior pieces, Custom painted hood liner and trunk liner, Niche Targa M-130 wheels, LED side markers
mhoskins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:17 AM   #10
1LeSS

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS VR 1LE
Meltdownaverted is 100% correct.
BC Racing coil-overs, 32ml rear sway bar, Solid cradle bushing kit, Steel jacket radius rod bushes, JPSS caster bolt, Bo White TB, Granitelli HP coils, Apex Catchcan, Vortech V7 Ysi Supercharger, LSX B-15 engine, custom spec cam, and other stuff.
1LeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #11
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Boston Acoustic
So the process to getting the upgrade is the following:

You either get a letter in the mail informing you of the upgrade or press the OnStar button on your rear view mirror and speak to an operator.

You will then be process for an order for the parts shipped to your dealership, a confirmation number will be generated for your reference at the end of the transaction.

Once your dealership received the parts, they will call you up (call them if they do not call you) and schedule your vehicle for the upgrade.

It is free of charge. All this is covered by GM.
I'm currently waiting for my parts to get in.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #12
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

So I got my email today

Quote:
Immediate action needed in order to continue your OnStar service. Schedule your hardware upgrade today and enjoy 4G LTE and 3 months or 3GB of complimentary data3. View online

Schedule your hardware upgrade today to enjoy a 4G LTE connection and 3 months or 3GB of complimentary data3.
Dear Mark Pagliaro,
Canadian wireless service providers have informed OnStarŪ1 that the 2G wireless network in your area - the network we use to provide service in your 2011 Chevrolet Camaro will be decommissioned in late December 2015.

As a result, in order to continue enjoying the peace of mind you’ve come to count on from OnStar, your vehicle’s hardware will need to be upgraded by December 1, 2015. The hardware upgrade will be provided at no additional charge, though you will need to purchase a one-year, pre-paid, non-refundable OnStar service plan of your choice.
Once your hardware is installed, you will be able to use your purchased service plan for one year. Additionally, your upgraded hardware will provide you with several exciting new features to keep you better connected on the road, including:
- Powerful 4G LTE connectivity, providing a fast and reliable connection

- An in-vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot

2, which allows you to connect up to seven laptops, tablets or mobile devices and includes 3 months or 3GB of complimentary data

- Up to 5 years of connectivity with our Basic Plan†, which includes limited features of the RemoteLink mobile app and monthly Vehicle Diagnostics emails Note:
Vehicles equipped with hard-wired aftermarket electronic equipment

4 may not be compatible with the upgraded OnStar hardware. This may result in additional installation costs, prevent the upgrade of the OnStar equipment, and/or render the aftermarket equipment inoperative after the upgrade attempt. If this type of equipment is installed in your vehicle and you choose to upgrade your OnStar hardware, you will be responsible for any additional expense incurred.

To take advantage of this offer, please choose one of our three new service plans:

Guidance Plan
($399.90* for one year of service):
Enjoy total peace of mind with our complete suite of emergency and security services, plus Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Stolen Vehicle Assistance and 30 Hands-Free Calling minutes every month.

Security Plan
($299.90* for one year of service):
The full protection of OnStar, whether there’s a vehicle issue or a medical emergency, plus Stolen Vehicle Assistance to assist police who can help pinpoint and quickly recover your vehicle, if it’s ever stolen.

Protection Plan ($249.90* for one year of service):
Confidence comes from knowing that wherever you go, you’re connected to a specially-trained human Advisor, ready to assist you 24/7.
If you have any remaining Hands-Free Calling minutes available on your current service plan, those minutes will roll over to your new equipment and the new phone number issued to that equipment.

Completing your hardware installation and choosing your new service plan is easy. Just follow these simple steps by November 1, 2015.

Log into your existing OnStar account at onstar.ca. (If you don't have an existing account, click, "Sign up".) Choose and pay for your new service plan. You will be required to accept the current OnStar User Terms, Privacy Statement and Software Terms, unless you’ve previously done so.

Call your OnStar Advisor at 1-877-935-8717 to order your hardware and select your preferred dealer. Your Advisor will request your odometer reading during this call, so please have it ready.

OnStar will send the hardware to your dealer, who will then call you to schedule your installation. The non-refundable new service plan charges will be billed at the time you confirm your order. Your new hardware will have the full 12 months of the service plan you selected. If your hardware is not installed within 90 days after you place your order you will have to begin the order process over. No service time will be charged between the date your hardware is ordered and the time it is installed.

OnStar is committed to making the upgrade process as convenient as possible. Please call us at 1-877-935-8717 and speak with an Advisor about any questions you may have. We look forward to providing you with an even richer OnStar experience.

Sincerely,

Terry M. Inch
OnStar Chief Operating Officer

Account Number: XXX-XXX-XXX Vehicle Identification Number (VIN): XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Please note: OnStar will assign a new vehicle phone number upon your hardware upgrade. Regardless of any action you take today, this upgrade offer will be available to you until December 31, 2016.
4g Hotspot hmm. I am going to have to call them to see if I can have the unit sent to me as I don't want a dealer touching this install.

Last edited by Pagliaro; 06-02-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #13
NFRNOSS

Thanks for posting that letter! I need to call and see what's up with the 2010 model year.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #14
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

No problem, best part is we will get wifi hotspots so our cars will differ from our American friends.

I'm undecided on if I should do this upgrade.

In 2011 the Blutooth module is in the Onstar module but in 2014 it's in the radio.

My car has a 2014 radio so I need to convince Onstar to send me (or my dealer,
preferably me) hardware for 2014 even though as far as they are concerned I have a 2011.

My Mylink > Onstar so if it's not compatible I'll opt out.