Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
Bucky

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible
Call me "Panicky Pete", but WTF about blown engines????

I'm two steps away from buying LT Headers, HF cats and a tune for my 2011 L99 Convertible, then I read this in another thread.....

"[QUOTE=Without Remorse;3436600]I have been dying to do some performance mods + tune. Primarily I am in search of sound and low end torque but some extra HP's would be nice as well. I have read all of the "Will a tune kill my warranty" threads.....as you know there is a shit load. I have also read the most recent engine blow-ups and needless to say I'm scared shitless."

Well, needless to say, now I'M scared shitless, not so much about voiding warranty, but blowing an engine....I'm looking for the exact same stuff (torque, low end sound) that this guy is looking for, but shit! WTF am I getting myself into here???

Someone help me, please. I did a search and can't find any threads specifically saying that an engine grenaded because of a tune. Here I am, ready to bring my car up to Connecticut to have this work done, and then I read this!!! C'mon, guys...fill me in...what's the deal here?
Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
elarson5757
Obsessed and Loving It...

Drives: 2013 1LE-SS
Quality parts, quality install, and top notch tuning and you will have no worries....there are thousands of cars with thousands of miles after these mods still running strong. Most of what I have read have been crap tuning....

Last edited by elarson5757; 02-09-2014 at 11:10 PM.
elarson5757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #3
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Anytime you start adding performance products and especially messing with the "tune", you can run the risk of damage.

But to say a tune will cause this isn't quite the whole story.
A "bad" tune can certainly cause very expensive damage.

But if the upgrades are selected carefully, and quality work done on the installation and tuning then you probably won't have any issues.

But there is never going to be a 100% chance of Zero issues.
There is always a risk you take in performance upgrades.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
Mint

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by elarson5757 View Post
Quality parts, quality install, and tip notch tuning and you will have no worries....there are thousands of cars with thousands of miles after these mods still running strong. Most of what I have read have been crap tuning....
Exactly this. Buy quality parts and do a good install and you shouldn't need to worry.
Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Of course it can happen. Adding a cold air intake can screw up your engine (altho very rare) but like the others have said, quality parts and quality install. If youre not comfortable doing the install, itll cost a pretty penny to pay someone to do it but itll give you piece of mind. Anytime you change an engine from stock even with simple bolt ons you do run the risk however small that you could end up with a $40k paperweight.

I have a tune on mine and its awesome! I'm adding headers a custom tune this spring from a quality shop and not worried one bit.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
The only blown engines I've heard about where guys doing more major modds. Intense CAMs or boosted engines making big power. The engines usually explode because they have run extremely lean. Running lean means there isn't enough fuel for the amount of air being forced into the engine. In the case of an aggressive CAM or boost, your making a large increase in the amount of air compared to stock. If you don't increase the fuel enough before running the car you can damage the engine. If your just doing an intake and exhaust, you can run without doing a tune an not damage the car, although you won't be getting the most out of your parts. The only way a tune could damage your car with the minor modds your taking about is if the tuner messes up and takes fuel out rather than adjusting it up to match the extra air.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:34 AM   #7
Titan

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS
Not to add to your doom and gloom. I had a bone stock 5.3 grenade on me in a Saab 9-7x (rebadged trailblazer). It happens. GM took good care of me. I am in the process of adding headers and a tune to my '12 despite that experience. I will be royally pissed if i lose another motor bc I am meticulous with my cars. But If it does happen I will spend a bit of money and time bonding with the old man learning how to R&R a 6.2 in my car.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:54 AM   #8
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Always that risk when you mod something may go wrong.

I have 30k+ with my headers and tune never an issue. Some ppl are stock and have multiple issues already with less miles. Use a good tuner let them know you don't want nothing crazy. And besides most bolt-ons should not give you a problem, you are just moving air into your motor quickly in and out.

A CEL cuz of air/fuel ratio is the only thing that will light up and you may have already read this. People go for days/miles without correcting the ratio. The tune will balance that. Do it as soon as possible or don't beat up on your car until you do. I went maybe 10days, around 250miles + before my tune which I drove over an hour for.
Good luck.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 AM   #9
RED_SS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Good quality parts and a good tuner and you will be just fine. In my old 05 gto, I once recieved a bad tune and after I paid some more for a more reputable tuner, all problems were resolved. Not everything is "you get what you pay for" but a tune is one of them!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
MikeC5
Nomad

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Not to worry, see this thread; http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341354
Old 02-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #11
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Reputable tuner
Old 02-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #12
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
[QUOTE=Bucky;7408609]I'm two steps away from buying LT Headers, HF cats and a tune for my 2011 L99 Convertible, then I read this in another thread.....

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Without Remorse View Post
I have been dying to do some performance mods + tune. Primarily I am in search of sound and low end torque but some extra HP's would be nice as well. I have read all of the "Will a tune kill my warranty" threads.....as you know there is a shit load. I have also read the most recent engine blow-ups and needless to say I'm scared shitless."

Well, needless to say, now I'M scared shitless, not so much about voiding warranty, but blowing an engine....I'm looking for the exact same stuff (torque, low end sound) that this guy is looking for, but shit! WTF am I getting myself into here???

Someone help me, please. I did a search and can't find any threads specifically saying that an engine grenaded because of a tune. Here I am, ready to bring my car up to Connecticut to have this work done, and then I read this!!! C'mon, guys...fill me in...what's the deal here?
I've got 10k miles on my car since doing the full exhaust and tune and she's running better than the day I bought her. Find a quality shop with lots of experience and you should be ok
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #13
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I'm over 40k and no issues. About 5k with cam
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #14
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
If you blow your engine from exhaust work only then you seriously need to rethink who works on your car. Since it has nothing to do with anything mechanical in the engine, like stated above, it's the tune and whoever tuned it should quit (or they love mustangs).
Trob85 is offline   Reply With Quote