Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 09-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #1
eblanchette

Drives: 1LE
Warning to those who want to track their cars with stock fluid.

someone who isnt me tracked his car with stock brake fluid, and to his surprise he completely lost braking power. pedal went straight to the floor, and unless pumped 2-3 times, no brakes at all.

the car had z28 brake ducts installed. and stock everything on the standard goodyears.

whatever you do, use racing fluid or AT LEAST DOT4.

Just general advice for people who track on hot climates.

after the brake loss, bleeding the 4 calipers with racing fluid fixed the problem. looooots of air in the lines... who knows why?(like science pro explanation so it does not happen again)

good day people!
eblanchette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:48 AM   #2
jamestown

Drives: 2014 1le
One step further, bleed immediatly before track days for best results. Keeping air out of the lines is an ongoing process when brakes are heat cycled at the track.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #3
Windycity

Drives: Yellow 1le
I understand upgrading to dot 4 for better performance but how does air get into the brake lines? Im thinking the brake system is a high pressure sealed system and once the air is out that is it? I have never tracked my car so I have no experience there but i am curious how air gets in there?
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
the fluid absorbs moisture over time and once the fluid boils the water turns to gas, which I suppose could be considered air. Once it cools it would recondense into liquid though.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
clashley1976

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
I understand upgrading to dot 4 for better performance but how does air get into the brake lines? Im thinking the brake system is a high pressure sealed system and once the air is out that is it? I have never tracked my car so I have no experience there but i am curious how air gets in there?
Overheating the fluid will cause it to boil, separating the some of fluid (incompressible) to vapor (compressible). Even the the system is sealed, it will lose the ability to transmit force hydraulically.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
CAI intake, VTC, VMax PTB, VMax Iceolator, Apex intake scoop, Roto-Fab washer bottle relocate
Build Journal: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419992

clashley1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by clashley1976 View Post
Overheating the fluid will cause it to boil, separating the some of fluid (incompressible) to vapor (compressible). Even the the system is sealed, it will lose the ability to transmit force hydraulically.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Is that some how related to my clutch pedal hanging up on the floor boards at the drag strip today?
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #7
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretts View Post
Is that some how related to my clutch pedal hanging up on the floor boards at the drag strip today?
not likely, did the pedal return when the rpms came back down? How much have you raced it or ran it hard?
Old 09-13-2015, 06:00 PM   #8
eblanchette

Drives: 1LE
Mine certainly never came back until I bled the calipers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eblanchette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
Bretts
SS

yes as rpm came back down it came up, not too much racing third time and first time with drag radials on it launched real good maybe I mashed the clutch pedal harder than I normally have as it was feeling like my best run ever lol
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Old 09-13-2015, 06:22 PM   #10
Bretts
SS

Exclamation playing it safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblanchette View Post
Mine certainly never came back until I bled the calipers
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW! that could have been real bad,
sounds like I am going to change the fluids if it will avoid that,
no brakes =
Old 09-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #11
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
use Motul 600 or equivalent or Castrol SRF ($$) and enjoy the higher boiling temps and nice firm brake pedal. Motul 600 is a great fluid for sure and is always consistent. A Motive power bleeder helps the procedure go smoothly and with little fuss.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:06 PM   #12
Windycity

Drives: Yellow 1le
Ok that make sense! I just purchased a 2015 1le and was wondering if you need to change the hose the connects the brake line to the calipers or did chevy put braided hoses on from the factory? Havent taken a wheel off yet to see if they are rubber....
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:04 AM   #13
summit1le

Drives: 15 Lexus RCF, 17 Vette Grand Sport
No the 1Le has rubber lines upgrade them!!
2013 Summit 1SS 1LE w/NPP, SW 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers, CAI Intake, Ported TB, Cammotion 224/232 113 LSA, BTR Valvetrain, Melling Oil Pump, 468 HP 423, Apex Catch Can, Tank Plates, RPM 4 Point Roll Bar with SCCA/NASA Cross Brace, Schroth 6 Point Han's Harness, OMP WRC Front Seats, F.M.T Trailing Arms, F.M.T Solid Aluminum Subframe Bushings, Moreno Motorsports Camber Plates, BMR Bushings Front and Rear, Essex/AP Racing Radi-Cal Endurance Front Brakes, Quantum Brake Cooling Ducts, ZL1 Rockers, ZL1 Air Deflectors, Heritage Grill, Pfadt Springs.
summit1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #14
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Rubber lines will be fine. You certainly don't NEED to change them. It's not like they will rupture or anything like that. Stainless lines will provide some extra abrasion resistance and better pedal feel though. Just make sure you spend the money on good ones, do not cheap out on stainless brake lines.

You should flush the brake fluid though before a track day with a good fluid like Motul RBF600. Me personally would not spend the money on SRF, since you need to flush it before each event it would get pretty pricey.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote