Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #57
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Mine sits for months without starting, never had a problem yet.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #58
4.0=SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM/Blk, Borla
Thumbs up

I don't take mine out in the rain/snow/salt. Where I live (NJ) that means about 3 months of storage :-( This year I waitied too long to start it (about 4-5 weeeks) and it was dead. I'll buy a battery ternder this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee View Post
oh, if you let it sit for about three or four weeks it will be dead for sure.. I know.. It happened to me. I remember looking at dead camaros on the lot also.. If you let them sit they die.
4.0=SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #59
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
One thing that some of you may not be taking into account is whether or not you have the alarm armed (locked doors). I keep mine in a locked garage WITHOUT the alarm armed, and I can go a month or so without any battery problems. With the alarm armed, the battery will be dead in a week or two.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #60
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Most my car has sat is 2 weeks, and never had a problem. You run into problems when you hardly ever drive it in the first place then you let it sit. It never has a chance to get a full charge. The less charge when you park it the shorter time you can let it sit,
Old 03-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #61
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I have to travel for work and am gone for three weeks or more sometimes. Every time the battery is dead when I get back. When I'm home I drive it all the time. I don't have on star activated, but I blame it on that. I think it is always trying to, or transmitting something. The alarm system draws very little and as far as I know there is nothing else running when the key is off.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #62
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot View Post
I have to travel for work and am gone for three weeks or more sometimes. Every time the battery is dead when I get back. When I'm home I drive it all the time. I don't have on star activated, but I blame it on that. I think it is always trying to, or transmitting something. The alarm system draws very little and as far as I know there is nothing else running when the key is off.
I don't think it's onstar either. Back when I had my 2010 I underwent Chemotherapy and it wasn't started for 3 months. When I finally felt up to going out in it, it started right up. Best thing to do is either disconnect the battery or get a battery tender if you have that problem.
The Computer in the car stays powered up, so your keyless entry can still work.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #63
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXIIIDave View Post
One thing that some of you may not be taking into account is whether or not you have the alarm armed (locked doors). I keep mine in a locked garage WITHOUT the alarm armed, and I can go a month or so without any battery problems. With the alarm armed, the battery will be dead in a week or two.
I never thought of that.. Are you talking the factory alarm that activates with the Camaro key ?

Mine still goes dead in 3 weeks, so I use a battery tender.

I haven't tried unlocking the doors in the garage yet. To be honest I don't know if I've been locking the doors or not.

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #64
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
That doesn't sound...right. Battery capacity / CCA really isn't that hard to do. I'd be surprised if they put an insufficient battery in the car.
You can save a lot of weight by using a battery containing smaller lead plates. You will be seeing a lot of this in the coming years for obvious reasons.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #65
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot View Post
If you park inside or live where there's spotty cell coverage, the system will kill your battery faster because it is constantly trying to reach out to weak or non existing cell signals to connect, and this puts a much bigger load on the battery. You cellphone will die in a few hours if you starve it of signal, so your car will have the same problem over a longer period of time because it has a much larger battery.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #66
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
The first year I had my Camaro I stored it for the winter in my garage. My garage is not heated but stays pretty warm from the furnace being in there. I didn't do anything with the battery and it started right up in the spring. This year I had to start it one time to move it so I could pull in my Escalade. It started right up again. I went down to get some paper work and noticed the lights didn't come on when I opened the door. I'm going to put a slow charge on it this week. What sucks is that when I had my subs put in the dumb asses built them on top of where the battery is. Not a big deal but kind of a pain in the ass... I will be using a tender next year...
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #67
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermaro585HP View Post
The first year I had my Camaro I stored it for the winter in my garage. My garage is not heated but stays pretty warm from the furnace being in there. I didn't do anything with the battery and it started right up in the spring. This year I had to start it one time to move it so I could pull in my Escalade. It started right up again. I went down to get some paper work and noticed the lights didn't come on when I opened the door. I'm going to put a slow charge on it this week. What sucks is that when I had my subs put in the dumb asses built them on top of where the battery is. Not a big deal but kind of a pain in the ass... I will be using a tender next year...
Use the terminals under the hood to charge it, then you don't have to remove your subs.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #68
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
I just got my Camaro out today and had to jump it. I noticed that when I had my Stereo turned up that the battery gauge started to jump. I drove around for like a hour thinking the battery would get charged up. I got home and pulled in my garage and shut it off and tried to start it and it wouldn't start. Like I said I have 2 amps running the stereo. I know I need a new battery. I looked at the Optima yellow and red but I'm not sure if they will fit. I only have 17,000 miles on it and it will 2 years old in June. Any suggestions?????
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #69
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
mines sat for 3+ weeks with no issues. It really depends on your car, the battery and the environment your car is stored in.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #70
caramaro1969

Drives: 69,82,84 & 10 camaros,87 GMC,07z06
when i bought my 2007 z06 new it came with a bad battery from GM. they replaced it before i left lot. general rule of thumb is start it in 3 weeks the electronics stand by sucks the life out of your battery. i leave it in reverse as well, seems to help. my 11 ss is an automatic and i start it every 3-4 weeks no issues has 3k miles original battery
caramaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote