Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-15-2018, 11:03 PM   #15
ste1n

Drives: 2019 2SS
I am no expert and I don't own a camaro but I have been reading people have had good luck with hptuners. They zero out the slip percentages that is originally set to 10% and shudder goes away.
ste1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:51 PM   #16
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
This should not still be happening on 2018 models...but here we are. It's ridiculous.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:35 AM   #17
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Sorry to hear op and others experiencing this but tbh after my 1st (used) camaro ss (2000 hard top 4l60e auto) it gave me nothing but hearache from day 1 (was given to me with 60k miles). Had it built 3 different times before a buddy wrapped it around a tree (it was slipping too on built transmission number 4) but thank God was totalled. 3 of my other friends had ls1 trans ams and 1 another Z28 ls1 car with auto's and yup every one of them had transmission issues. Grant it this was 4l60e aod's and not A8's but it soured my stomach against gm performance cars with anything other than a manual. My 05 gto was a t56 car that I beat to death and never had an issue! I vowed to never touch an auto gm performance car again and outside of my 12 ctsv wagon (6l90e) which did btw start slipping and getting stuck in 2nd gear (but was heavily modded and I did beat the sh*t out of it). So to summarize my rant I would never touch an automatic gm performance car with a 10 foot pole. Not only (imho) are they less fun but are proving to be about as reliable as Ford's mt82 manual. I know the A10 auto's are faster in the Zl1's but mine is a reliable 6mt as is my Z06. Gm should be ashamed and I feel bad for everyone on here going thru this issue. Hope they can get it right but my faith has long left.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #18
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Sorry to hear op and others experiencing this but tbh after my 1st (used) camaro ss (2000 hard top 4l60e auto) it gave me nothing but hearache from day 1 (was given to me with 60k miles). Had it built 3 different times before a buddy wrapped it around a tree (it was slipping too on built transmission number 4) but thank God was totalled. 3 of my other friends had ls1 trans ams and 1 another Z28 ls1 car with auto's and yup every one of them had transmission issues. Grant it this was 4l60e aod's and not A8's but it soured my stomach against gm performance cars with anything other than a manual. My 05 gto was a t56 car that I beat to death and never had an issue! I vowed to never touch an auto gm performance car again and outside of my 12 ctsv wagon (6l90e) which did btw start slipping and getting stuck in 2nd gear (but was heavily modded and I did beat the sh*t out of it). So to summarize my rant I would never touch an automatic gm performance car with a 10 foot pole. Not only (imho) are they less fun but are proving to be about as reliable as Ford's mt82 manual. I know the A10 auto's are faster in the Zl1's but mine is a reliable 6mt as is my Z06. Gm should be ashamed and I feel bad for everyone on here going thru this issue. Hope they can get it right but my faith has long left.

I also had a Bonneville with the 4L60E and at 65K miles started slipping. Loved that car but had to get rid of it as the rebuild was going to be very expensive. Agree manual is the way to go with GM cars.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #19
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1023 View Post
I just purchased a 2018 Camaro SS with an A8 without knowing this was an issue. I should have checked these forums first. I have 180 miles on it, but I am concerned this will become an issue.

Is there anything that can be done in a preventative manner to head off any potential issues?
If you experience this problem, have the dealer flush the transmission and refill with the correct modifier. as soon as you start to feel the shudder. It will feel like you are running over rumble strips

Memories:

2017 50th Anniversary Camaro Convertible (Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper (Sold)
2005 Lingenfelter Corvette (Sold)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (Sold)
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #20
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti6 View Post
Thank you.
OP...you need a different dealer. They should not have replaced the TC this soon. The friction modifier should have been done first and probably would have taken care of it. My guess is that when they replaced the TC they didn't refill with the friction modifier. I don't think that most dealers know about the TSB...which is why you need a copy in hand when you go again.

Memories:

2017 50th Anniversary Camaro Convertible (Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper (Sold)
2005 Lingenfelter Corvette (Sold)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (Sold)
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #21
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I echo 1hprush’s thoughts that you may need to find another dealer. You obviously have a transmission problem. I suspect that when they replaced your torque converter, they did not properly flush the transmission cooler lines and re-introduced whatever residual fluid there was back into the transmission. It only takes one metal shaving smaller than a human hair to get caught in the wrong channel of a valvebody or pump to make the transmission act erratically. If I’ve seen this once, I’ve seen it a thousand times. When I used to be responsible for GM’s powertrain service operations, our number 1 repeat warranty failure was “improperly flushed or not flushed transmission cooler lines”. By a long shot.

Call Chevy help line, tell them you want a replacement transmission. It will be remanufactured. Do NOT let that worry you. And tell them you would like the work done at another dealer.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:20 AM   #22
RockerC

Drives: 2016 SS, NFG, MRC, NPP, Auto
A8 Shudder finally fixed on my 2016 SS!

I had the dreaded shudder by 10,000 miles on my 2016 SS. At 15,000 mile in July '17 the TC was replaced after doing the 3 fluid changes that constituted the standard GM fix for this problem at that time. On my way home I could feel the shudder but it was faint. By 18,000 miles it was undeniably there again but I waited until winter was over and brought it back to the dealer at 21,000 in May '18 and a formal case was opened. The fluid change was repeated in June to no avail. A 3rd fluid change (with a new fluid specially formulated for this problem) was done in July '17. In August '18, GM agreed to replace the entire transmission. That was 2,000 miles ago and I have had no problem since. Not even a faint whiff of shudder.

I have to praise my dealer's Service Manager, Dave Flagg, and the shop foreman, Mike, and Service Writer, Heather. They acknowledged the problem and were totally supportive the whole time. Dave went to bat for me with GM warranty division and finally got them to replace the tranny. Dave is also a car guy: he drives a Corvette and his wife has a Camaro 1LE. Mike also spent a lot of time with me explaining the what they were doing and the process. So, if you have a Chevy product and live in Western MA or North Central CT and want great service from people who know Chevy performance cars and have an enthusiast's perspective, go to Central Chevrolet in West Springfield, MA.
RockerC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:29 AM   #23
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
There is a lot of good info in this thread.
But I don't think even a complete fluid change will fix a shuddering transmission in every case. These things shift gears with solenoids. And if a solenoid is sticking intermittently, all the fluid in the world is not going to fix it. That could be a factor in these cases.
Solenoids are usually pretty cheap parts. Getting to them can be the problem.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:39 AM   #24
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
I make the person that worked on my car go for a ride after any repair to make sure all problems are fixed. That seems to be the only way of convincing some of the GM mechanics that it's fixed or not.
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #25
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The problem is when you keep driving the car with the Converter shudder, you are now introducing clutch material to the rest of the system. As a result, transmission failure is likely to happen. If you notice a hint of "shudder", stop driving the car and take it to the dealer. GM sure has big mess on their hands with this one.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:21 AM   #26
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerC View Post
I had the dreaded shudder by 10,000 miles on my 2016 SS. At 15,000 mile in July '17 the TC was replaced after doing the 3 fluid changes that constituted the standard GM fix for this problem at that time. On my way home I could feel the shudder but it was faint. By 18,000 miles it was undeniably there again but I waited until winter was over and brought it back to the dealer at 21,000 in May '18 and a formal case was opened. The fluid change was repeated in June to no avail. A 3rd fluid change (with a new fluid specially formulated for this problem) was done in July '17. In August '18, GM agreed to replace the entire transmission. That was 2,000 miles ago and I have had no problem since. Not even a faint whiff of shudder.

I have to praise my dealer's Service Manager, Dave Flagg, and the shop foreman, Mike, and Service Writer, Heather. They acknowledged the problem and were totally supportive the whole time. Dave went to bat for me with GM warranty division and finally got them to replace the tranny. Dave is also a car guy: he drives a Corvette and his wife has a Camaro 1LE. Mike also spent a lot of time with me explaining the what they were doing and the process. So, if you have a Chevy product and live in Western MA or North Central CT and want great service from people who know Chevy performance cars and have an enthusiast's perspective, go to Central Chevrolet in West Springfield, MA.
I used to live in Western Massachusetts for most of my life and know exactly where Central Chevrolet is. They have been in business ever since I can remember as a little kid- 6 years od and I am 60 now. They were always a good dealer. I now live in Southwest Florida and the dealerships I have experienced here are horrible.

This is yet another thread about the A8 transmission. I have heard from other owners, people on this forum and other forums about this transmission. I feel your pain and I got so sick of the shuddering issues my 2017 Camaro was having with the A8, I got rid I fit. The service tech told even me personally how bad this transmission was.

If you want to buy a good performance car you need to read up on these forums and see the real problems before you buy so you know what is good and what is not. The Camaro is a good car- with a great engine but get manual transmission or the 10 speed automatic. Or any GM product- AVOID the 8 speed. I went over to a Mustang with M/T only because the Camaros I test drive were not prepped properly at the dealers around here. But the Mustangs have their own problems- breaking clutch forks, piston slap in the engines, manual transmission issues, water pump issues. Mine has been good- the transmission does not shudder LOL and I shift when I want. So far so good but I do have the piston slap when the engine is cold.

From being on these forums and reading so many posts, the best cars to get are a Camaro with 4, 6 or 8 cylinder with M/T or the 10 speed automatic. And Mustang with the 10 speed automatic- but you need to test drive the Mustangs first to find one without piston slap!
Old 10-31-2018, 09:31 AM   #27
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
I took mine in for the shudder and they couldn't duplicate the issue.
Second time they told me it was my aftermarket exhaust.
Third time I took it to another dealer with factory exhaust and they were able to duplicate the issue so they did the Flush and I was good to go. I picked up my car and the shudder was still there. I drove it for 200 miles per their request and took it back to them.
Fourth time and they flushed it again but as the updated TSB mentions, they have a fix coming up until 2019.
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #28
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
In year 3 of production these problems should be resolved. JD Power IQS surveys should show these IQ problems through customer survey answers. Then there is the warranty claims.This is monitored and common issues are looked at and counter measures implemented. Op stay on it until its somehow solved. This problem could turn into something more serious down the road.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote