Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-13-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
WatzIt2Ya

Drives: 2012 6M 2SS
Cylinder not holdng pressure... 1 day before a roadtrip!

Ill keep it short and sweet because this is my first post and it is an EMERGENCE. For those who feel the need to say "Do the research!" I have and i came up short so please just help me or point me in the right direction.

Currently I'm in VA Beach, VA. I graduate tomorrow from C school and out of the depths of hell came a misfire, p0300 to be exact. I ignorantly say its the sparkplugs and replace them to no avail. Misfire persists and I hook it up to a computer this time, the entire right bank is misfiring and out of no where again a code pops up once and only once, p0335. I then did a compression test and found that #8 was not holding anything. I had a similar issue 6 or 7 months back on the same cylinder and they said it was a rocker arm that had gone bad and now there is oil on that spark plug and I dont know what to do. I need a quick reputable mechanic. Just please send me any information before I lose my mind. Im really trying not to wast the few days i get to spend on leave with my family in a shitty motel with no car.
WatzIt2Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
damn!...best advice is if you wrench would be to pull the valve cover(s) and get your Mark 1 eyeballs on it...take some pic's...could be either rocker trunnion or spring failure(best case?) but the oil in the cyl is worrisome...

btw - any noise? did you verify the plug WIRES are good(still stock? those cans rust and corrode inside)...report back ASAP!

btww - who did the work? in the area? get their A$$'s on the horn ASAP is another suggestion..you did pay them..
Old 12-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
OP it may be wise to post whether the car is manual or auto as they have different motors. It may not matter for this sort of thing but won't hurt either. Sorry I can't help with much more than that. If it weren't for the cyllinder info I would have guessed coil packs as a possible culprit for the misfires....
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #4
WatzIt2Ya

I'm about to start taking the valve cover off and just going through it. What should i look for? I'm good at taking things apart but not so good at trouble shooting. My phone has a terrible camera right now and ill try to take pictures but they might just not help at all. I still have the old spark plugs if thats something to check, they were all soaked in gas but that all. plug wires are good and they are all still stock. Work was done by Niles Chevrolet under warranty in Key West, FL But Im in VA now and on my way to Texas if i can get this old girl running again healthy enough. I have planed to put a cam and all the supporting equipment (pushrods, springs, rockerarms, etc) some headers, a cat-back, intake, tune and all sorts of stuff waiting at my house in Houston but, i guess the car cant even make it down there.

Last edited by WatzIt2Ya; 12-13-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
did you replace the plug wires with the new plugs? if not i'd start there and then take the valve cover off.

no compression on a cylinder suggests a broken valve spring to me, but i don't think that is the main problem at hand is it?
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
did you replace the plug wires with the new plugs? if not i'd start there and then take the valve cover off.

no compression on a cylinder suggests a broken valve spring to me, but i don't think that is the main problem at hand is it?
I agree with the wires. I had a P0300 and it turned out to be three bad oem wires. Hopefully not a valve train issue. Good luck.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
frankwjr

CIWS? do any of the bases still have the help yourself car shops? Been out for a LONG time now, not sure of what they still offer...

do you have the repair ticket from FL? What exactly did they find/repair back then?
Old 12-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #8
Chevy Runs Deep

Drives: 2015 BLK 1SS LS3 M6 NPP
A persistent misfire with fuel and spark present would lend to a damaged valve spring. If knocking perhaps a collapsed lifter. The no compression and oil on plug scenario seems more like rings or a cracked piston. You will probably need to tear it down op
Chevy Runs Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
What was the fix 6 or 7 months ago when you had the "bad rocker"?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #10
IMPERIALBLUE2SS

Drives: 2010 imperial blue LS3 M6 2SSRS
Sent you a PM
IMPERIALBLUE2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #11
WatzIt2Ya

Update: I towed the Camaro to Virginia Speed and they were extremely helpful and patient since this is all going over my head. They pulled the valve covers off and upon inspection they found that the cylinder 8 pushrod (not sure if it was intake or exhaust) was broken in half and replaced it. That solved the issue of the misfire for the most part yet the issue now is the fouled spark plugs. After the misfire was resolved there was no oil on the plugs, but if it happens again i was told it may be a cracked intake manifold intake manifold(They explained it with alot more detail but... don't expect me to remember). Unfortunately I did have to rush them to get the job done in less than 3 hours yet they worked around there schedule to accommodate me to get me back on the road. In all honesty I really am indebted to these guys for the help they gave me and the quality of work performed. They also had a 1K HP Camaro there called the "Quarter Pounder" that really got me thinking about mine.

They did inspect the OE wires and they are still good. The last misfire incident was due to a bad valve spring on the same cylinder. It was just replaced under warranty from what i remember now

P.S. Everything is in good working order, no more misfire, no oily plug, no codes, just the cold windy freezing me to death out here. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and the help and especially for the timeliness of the responses.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:00 AM   #12
Scottiemac

Drives: Black 2015 1ss/rs
Looks like you're all good now. Good luck and have a safe trip if that's still on.
Scottiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:00 AM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
a broken pushrod is abnormal, I would suggest as soon as you get it where ever you replace them all, a manual can over rev from mechanical means on downshifting causing pushrods to bend...or break and the engines so strong you may never know until the springs break or the pushrods.... I myself have never replaced just one pushrod on any engine the costs are so cheap...and I am old like dirt.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #14
frankwjr

BOOM! ....and you are welcome!

Merry Christmas squid!

Tags
engine, help me, mechanic, misfire, virginia