Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
NM-ZR1

What service tool is GM using now?

I have a GM Tech 2 that is now for the most part useless with the post 2013 GM vehicles. This was a great tool and saved me a great deal of money and trips to the GM dealers when I had problems. With the TIS2000 software running on a laptop it could do things general aftermarket units just could not do.

My question is what is GM using now? Would it require a subscription to even do diagnostic work or would the subscription only be needed for programming. Would I even be able to buy one?

Thanks for any help from those in the know or comments from a GM tech.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
NM-ZR1

Wow, Im surprised, with all the gear heads here no one's got a handle on this...
Old 10-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
MDI2 with GDS2 on a laptop. You will need a subscription. It is quite the racket for sure.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
NM-ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
MDI2 with GDS2 on a laptop. You will need a subscription. It is quite the racket for sure.

Thanks cooper, can you do anything with it such as diagnostics without a subscription? I currently have a Tech 2 that for the most part is useless.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
I've never actually let a subscription expire, so I can't say for certain. You will have to buy one initially, and its a log in process, so Im sure once expired features are extremely limited if not nulled. Its an expensive way to go if your not going to take advantage of the subscription packages. I imagine there are some nice aftermarket options out there.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #6
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
Yeah when I researched getting into it I found that without the subscriptions you really weren't going to get anything out of it that you couldn't get with a much smaller, cheaper, and easier to use package.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #7
NM-ZR1

Other then basic functions are there any tools in the Tech 2 category that wont break the bank?
Old 12-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
g26er

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM-ZR1 View Post
Other then basic functions are there any tools in the Tech 2 category that wont break the bank?
I know this question is about 2 months old but, wanted to answer.

I got a VXDiag VCX Nano (supposed to function the same as the current MDI2 device) and used it with a single VIN 2 year subscription to program a new T87A TCM. I didn't want to be w/out my car while sending the TCM to HP Tuners to be unlocked.

Seems to get some bad reviews for coming with software on a burned CD or not at all. Didn't bother me as I went to the website and downloaded the latest software anyways. Surprisingly, the packaging for the device was very impressive.

I got it for $110ish but, looks like the price has gone up slightly.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDHF3XX/
g26er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #9
NM-ZR1

Thx g26er, I need to look into this,