Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-15-2019, 11:31 PM   #1
Anti_venomSS

Drives: '18 Camaro SS
Next set of mods (FBO/E85 now)

Hey guys. Curious what you think my next set of mods should be. I was thinking one of these two routes. 1. Torque converter, 3.27 gears and a retune. 2. Race brakes in all 4 corners.

Will I notice a big difference with the torque converter and gears? Will running those breaks be reliable for when I want to go cruising downtown?

Current setup:
Intake, IM, TB, 2" headers, no cats, 3" exhaust, E85, catch can, 17" radials, skinnys, racing seats, gutted rear seats/trunk area, ECM/TCM tune. 480whp/500wtq.

Last edited by Anti_venomSS; 02-15-2019 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Clarification
Anti_venomSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
OneSlowV

Drives: 2018 camaro ss
I went the aerospace street brakes all four corners . The drag style from them I would not use from them they even tell you not to run them on the street. That’s unless you are under 3200 lbs

2020 CAMARO LT1 6spd 11.02@ 135 dragy approved
OneSlowV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #3
Anti_venomSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSlowV View Post
I went the aerospace street brakes all four corners . The drag style from them I would not use from them they even tell you not to run them on the street. That’s unless you are under 3200 lbs
Good to know man. I am definitely over 3200lbs. We have the same mods pretty much and you went 10.8 -. Haven't ran my car yet. Do you have any other mods besides the ones listed?
Old 02-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Race brakes, cold air scoop and under drive crank pulley. Gears and converter will help also but for the money I’m not that impressed yet. Both of those look like they are only worth about a tenth. Get your intake ported if not done yet. A 26 inch setup is also a bit quicker than a 28. Also a light weight battery. Carbon trunk lid with no spoiler is also a decent mod and will drop about 20 lbs and give less drag. I think it looks ok as well and might be my next mod along with rear aerospace brakes as I only have the fronts for now. Lightweight 15 inch rims all around is also a good investment the billet specialties win lites are some of the lightest around and the price isn’t too bad as 15 inch wheels as well as tires are pretty cheap compared to larger sizes

A decent bolt on setup with these cars and proper traction will run 10s all day if you have a good tune. Look into pray or gpi is what I woukd suggest. You are going to want hptuners and a wideband so you can easily make accurate changes to the tune and work with your tuner. One simple dyno tune is not the answer for best performance. One example is that you will want to run a no torque management tune at the track for max performance but load a street tune for daily driving that still has TM in it to try and preserve your transmission life. That’s my opinion
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #5
OneSlowV

Drives: 2018 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_venomSS View Post
Good to know man. I am definitely over 3200lbs. We have the same mods pretty much and you went 10.8 -. Haven't ran my car yet. Do you have any other mods besides the ones listed?
Weight reduction I was 3515 last time out now doing brakes I hope to be mid 3450 or close to it . I still have yet to do ud pulley or driveshaft and I was having issues last time out with the msd so I expect to be at least a tenth faster now I hope .

2020 CAMARO LT1 6spd 11.02@ 135 dragy approved
OneSlowV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #6
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
If you are a track rat I would say the converter, if you are a street racer then I would lean towards the Aero brakes.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:42 PM   #7
Anti_venomSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Race brakes, cold air scoop and under drive crank pulley. Gears and converter will help also but for the money I’m not that impressed yet. Both of those look like they are only worth about a tenth. Get your intake ported if not done yet. A 26 inch setup is also a bit quicker than a 28. Also a light weight battery. Carbon trunk lid with no spoiler is also a decent mod and will drop about 20 lbs and give less drag. I think it looks ok as well and might be my next mod along with rear aerospace brakes as I only have the fronts for now. Lightweight 15 inch rims all around is also a good investment the billet specialties win lites are some of the lightest around and the price isn’t too bad as 15 inch wheels as well as tires are pretty cheap compared to larger sizes

A decent bolt on setup with these cars and proper traction will run 10s all day if you have a good tune. Look into pray or gpi is what I woukd suggest. You are going to want hptuners and a wideband so you can easily make accurate changes to the tune and work with your tuner. One simple dyno tune is not the answer for best performance. One example is that you will want to run a no torque management tune at the track for max performance but load a street tune for daily driving that still has TM in it to try and preserve your transmission life. That’s my opinion
My car has a ported stock IM and ported stock TB. Dave, John and Associates at EFX tuning did my complete bolt-on set-up. Dave tuned the ECM/TCM. It was my first time seeing a car being dyno'd thoroughly, and it was my car. What an experience.

Anyways, only a tenth from gears and torque converter? I think I will go for the FBO world record, but with Pray tuning this time around. I want to build the chassis so no more engine mods for now. Based on your comment, I think I need to put her on a diet.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #8
Anti_venomSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
If you are a track rat I would say the converter, if you are a street racer then I would lean towards the Aero brakes.
Skreet till I die. But I do want to have a world-record car, so the track will be necessary when they open here in the NE. Maybe I have the world record for FBO, stock ported IM/TB on a Mustang Dyno already in an A8? I made 478hp/497tq.

ABS/Stabilitrak/TC automatically shuts off over 1/2 throttle right now, which has caused Dave to nearly crash my car while running the shit out of it (He put flat spots on my new skinnies; to the point he had to pay and order new ones for me. I had to drive with a severe shake in my car for 3 days because he basically brushed off the issue. He was the reason I bought a second car. Scary experience.). I wanted to be an EFX car, but their downfalls outweigh the benefits. Pray knows we will bring the FBO record back to NC.

Last edited by Anti_venomSS; 02-16-2019 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Added Ported IM/TB
Anti_venomSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #9
Anti_venomSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSlowV View Post
Weight reduction I was 3515 last time out now doing brakes I hope to be mid 3450 or close to it . I still have yet to do ud pulley or driveshaft and I was having issues last time out with the msd so I expect to be at least a tenth faster now I hope .
Sounds like a diet is the next step. We will see what happens. I came in at 3560 w/ sunroof on a full race star drag pack and no passenger seat. 1ss car.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:51 PM   #10
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
If you want a record for bolt ons you will need to do everything including gears and converter. You will also need a fast track. From what I’ve seen you need something out east. Even in similar DA I can’t believe how fast cars run at Cecil. A good 1 or two tenths quicker. If you want the record you are going to need all the available bolt ons and weight reduction at a fast track in good DA. I would also suggest some race fuel like c85 or ftw purple. Not many have experimented with it. I think 10.2-3 range is possible with these cars full bolt on with all the right variables. Most bolt on cars will be high tens to low 11s

From what I’ve experienced around 10.8 is the sticking point and it gets much Harder after that at the bolt on level. To get deeper into the tens with bolt ons you are going to need to address all the small details and have a fast track and great DA to set any kind of new record or sub 10.7-8 pass
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:46 AM   #11
Anti_venomSS

Quote:
If you want a record for bolt ons you will need to do everything including gears and converter. You will also need a fast track. From what I’ve seen you need something out east. Even in similar DA I can’t believe how fast cars run at Cecil. A good 1 or two tenths quicker. If you want the record you are going to need all the available bolt ons and weight reduction at a fast track in good DA. I would also suggest some race fuel like c85 or ftw purple. Not many have experimented with it. I think 10.2-3 range is possible with these cars full bolt on with all the right variables. Most bolt on cars will be high tens to low 11s

From what I’ve experienced around 10.8 is the sticking point and it gets much Harder after that at the bolt on level. To get deeper into the tens with bolt ons you are going to need to address all the small details and have a fast track and great DA to set any kind of new record or sub 10.7-8 pass
Yeah, I have been looking into the weight reduction stuff. My hometown track is arguably one of the fastest in the country - Maryland International Raceway. If I am going to address the weight properly, I have to remove a lot of the safety features from the car, which means I need to buy a trailer now 10.2-10.3 with bolt ons would be nice. Long road ahead.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #12
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_venomSS View Post
Pray knows we will bring the FBO record back to NC.
Good luck slim
Old 02-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #13
Anti_venomSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
Good luck slim
I don’t think I have called anyone slim in my entire life lol. Don’t worry Jim. I’m coming for you
Old 02-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #14
Anti_venomSS

Quote:

Just noticed your signature has weight and power. I am literally the same Race W eight as you and nearly identical power; with stock gear/suspension/converter as well. Which track did you run the 10.69 at and what was the DA?